Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather - an Interesting article

Farmers describe 'worst storm in 150 years'

By Sybil Ruscoe BBC News, South Dakota (section only)
    1 December 2013 Last updated at 00:01

Nearly two months after devastating blizzards hit parts of South Dakota and Wyoming, farmers are still recovering from the loss of cattle and the effect on their businesses.

The week before the storm, it had been wet and mild and the prairies of the Great Plains were deep in mud.

Then, the first winter snow came early and unexpectedly in an icy blast from the north-west.

Trapped in the mud, 30,000 cattle suffocated and froze to death. They were buried in 20ft (6m) snow drifts, entombed in ice in what ranchers call the "breaks and draws" - the slopes and valleys - of the rolling prairie hills.

Larry Stomprud is a tall, thin cowboy wearing a black leather waistcoat and slim-cut blue jeans. Grey hair peeps from beneath his brown cowboy hat.

He is a tough rancher who has spent half a century herding cattle. But his voice falters and there are tears in his eyes as he describes the devastation on his ranch.

"I looked at my grandfather's records," he says quietly. "It was the worst storm for 150 years." His throat is strangled with anguish and with sadness as he says: "God entrusted us with the care of these animals and we failed them."

For full BBC report:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25154370

Ranald

Re: Weather - an Interesting article

Hey Ranald,
    Yes this is a sad story. Hope that the cowboys who feel that they failed the herds of cows realize that it was nature that was the real reason.

Comment

Re: Weather - an Interesting article

Yes Diane, nature, but given reasonable time warning, they could have saved many of the animals.

That time warning should take in the speed with which a storm moves.

Another failure was the recent devastation in the Hawaiian Islands.

The world is changing, as it always has,.... even the moon was once part of our world.

I often wonder if our world was part of some other larger world?

Ranald

Ranald

Comment

Working...
      X