Buying a new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new car

I got an oil leak with my Buick Regal LS and when it went into the garage they gave me a quote of $2,100 to repair it.

I figured as it was a 2000 car it had given me enough service and it was time to get a new car.

After going around all the major manufacturers I decided on getting a Toyota Corolla LE which comes with a free upgrade package.

To be frank I figured my Buick was junk but to my delight they offered me a $500 trade-in.

So on a 4 year lease it costs $0 down and $289.97 a month.

I did look at the Chevy Cruz, Ford Focus, Mazda 3, Honda Civic Coup but decided the Corolla gave me the best overall deal. So I'm off tomorrow to do the deal.

Alastair

Re: Buying a new car

Is that leasing where you pay a fixed amount at the end of the lease to own the car? Or is it a straight out car loan? I'm rather partial to Hyundai as I've had 3 of them and never had any problems......also I like the 5 year warranty they give.

Elda

Comment

Why on earth would you lease, unless you can write it off against the business?

Comment

You have the option of purchasing the car at the end of the 4 year period or swapping it out for a new one or just hand it back and go somewhere else for a new car. I should be abkle to charge it against the business but need to check with my accountant on Monday to see if I get in my name or the name of the company.

Forgot it was the weekend so will be doing the deal on Monday and might just check out Hyundai before I go to Toyota.

Alastair

Comment

Alastair...I have a good friend who bought a Hyundai a couple of years ago. She has had nothing but trouble with it, & she said her mechanic says the same...Hyundai is NOT a well built vehicle!!! Just reporting what she's told me. And the repairs are in the 1000's as well!! Also here in the US, I believe that Monday is Martin Luther King hols.

Joan

Comment

Well I ended up buying a different car. I went to three more dealers today and at Kia I was offered a Kia Magentis Limited which is a 2010 model. It was the owners car so it has all the bells and whistles. It also comes with a whole car warranty for a further 4 years. So this is a purchase instead of a lease.

The purchase finance contract was signed so will know on Monday if its all gone through ok. Decided to keep the monthly payment low so it's over a 6 year period but as i get a lump sum with my pension in 2 years time I'll likely use that to pay it off. And if all goes well I pick it up on Tuesday.

Alastair

Comment

We have had Toyotas for 20 years without any problems. After all it was the Japanese who taught the US how to make cars.

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

Originally posted by FriedaKateM View Post
                Alastair...I have a good friend who bought a Hyundai a couple of years ago. She has had nothing but trouble with it, & she said her mechanic says the same...Hyundai is NOT a well built vehicle!!! Just reporting what she's told me. And the repairs are in the 1000's as well!! Also here in the US, I believe that Monday is Martin Luther King hols.

Joan
                Hi Joan,

I think your friend was probaly landed with one of those rare, what we call "a lemon" , my wife has had an Hyundi Elantra for about 10 years, over 300,000K,
                just normal wear and tear,regular maintenance service is key to ANY car. My daughter and son-in-law have also bought new ones, one a large SUV to replace previous model, plus a small sedan, I30 [I think].
                Gordon

Comment

Alastair, we have a Kia now, also a 2010. Did you know that Kia is made in the same factory as Hyundai?

Joan & Gordon, the NRMA magazine which just came out has listed 3 Hyundais in the top 15 cars. (NRMA = road service organisation).

Elda

Comment

Good choice Alastair.

I have a Kia too.

Sportage 2012 model and it goes like a dream. Not one minute of trouble with plus the 7 year warranty.

dmf

Comment

Good choice Alastair.

I have a Kia too.

Sportage 2012 model and it goes like a dream. Not one minute of trouble plus the 7 year warranty.

dmf

Comment

I got a 4 year warranty given to me as it is a 2010 model.

The only problem I have with it is seeing the speedometer. I tested it on a dull day but when I picked it up it was sunny and I found it very hard to read the speedometer.

Alastair

Comment

Really? We have the Kia Cerato (2010) and the dials all light up when you turn the engine on.

Elda

Comment

Mine don't come on unless I switch on the headlights.

Alastair

Comment

As I was out all day yesterday looking at used cars with my daughter, we finally put in an offer on one. Drove 5 different vehicles, but lit on a Nissan XTerra X, which is a SUV, but has room enough in it for me to sleep in back. (I like going camping!) Waiting at present time to see if they took our offer!! J

Comment

Working...
                              X