The Life and Times of General Sir James Browne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Life and Times of General Sir James Browne

R.E. K.C.B., K.C.S.I. (Buster Browne) by General James John McLeod Innes, R.E., V.C. (1905)

THIS memoir of General Sir James Browne has been drawn up in compliance with the wishes of the late Lady Browne, and is based on information kindly given by his family and friends and brother officers. .

My hearty thanks are due to General Pollard, General Sir Alexander Taylor, and Colonel Henry Blair—all of them Royal Engineers—with whom Sir James was associated throughout the whole of his career; also to the late General Sir Michael Biddulph, Sir G. Molesworth, General Sir R Sankey; Colonels Bum-Murdoch and Boughey, with whom he served from time to time in Engineer or Military operations; and most especially to General Sir Buchanan Scott, his invaluable second in the stupendous task of the Hurnai Railway.

Field-Marshal Earl Roberts, under whose command in India he served as Quartermaster-General of the army, said of him, with emphasis, “ He was grand!"

For advice in regard to Browne’s Frontier Policy, I am very greatly indebted to Sir D. Fitzpatrick, lately Governor of the Punjab.

J. J. M. I.
    December, 1904.

This book can be read at
    http://www.electricscotland.com/history/browne/

Alastair
Working...
X