Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Makers of Irn-Bru have introduced ice-cream lolly made from same!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makers of Irn-Bru have introduced ice-cream lolly made from same!

The makers of Scottish favourite Irn-Bru have unveiled a new ice-cream lolly made from the soft drink.

A hundred ice creams were dished out to fans in Glasgow’s George Square as AG Barr launched the new product.

Head of marketing Adrian Troy said: “We worked hard to get it right and all of our taste testers have given it top marks.”

Irn-Bru has been made to a secret recipe containing 32 flavours since 1901.

The orange soft drink hit the headlines last week after reports it had been banned in Canada, which were later discounted by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

The ice-cream will be rolled out in Scottish shops from March.

Hello, all, thought this was quite interesting in regard to the below articles! Joan :redrose:

Re: Makers of Irn-Bru have introduced ice-cream lolly made from same!

Hi Joan,
    I had seen about the launch in the Scottish Papers. I've not seen any retraction from the Food Inspection Agency. However, the original article I read was about a store in Saskatchewan having its supplies siezed; I have not seen anything about anywhere else having this happen. So perhaps there is something 'strange' going on with this~~
    Sandy

Comment

As I understand it, our ever-vigilant Canadian Food Inspection Agency 9CFIA) detained a shipment of various products because one of the meat products in the shipment didn't meet their import standards. In that version, the Marmite and Irn Bru simply got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Other reports are less clear, but here's the official "CFIA Statement on Rejected Shipment of Products from the UK":

"Irn Bru and Marmite are not banned for sale in Canada. These products have been available on Canadian store shelves for more than a decade and will continue to be sold in stores across Canada.

Recently, a shipment containing a number of products imported from the UK was detained in the course of regular border activities because it contained meat products that were not accompanied by the required documentation.

Appropriate certification of meat products is required to assure food safety and protect animal health in Canada.

The CFIA determined that the rejected shipment also included other products, including Irn Bru (drink) and Marmite (a yeast-based spread).

Imported products, including Irn Bru and Marmite, that meet Canadian requirements under Canada's Food and Drug Regulations are and will continue to be available for sale in Canada.

The CFIA will work with the food seller to ensure they are accessing the correct products, destined for Canadian markets.

Food safety remains a top priority for the Government of Canada, and is the primary focus of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's (CFIA) food inspection action."

Comment

And here's a bit of thoughtful analysis from the Scottish Review: http://www.scottishreview.net/HarryMcGrath144.shtml. I spent my university years in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan so can assure everyone it's a really wonderful city except for our federal government's silliness, which is pretty much everywhere anyhow.

Comment

Working...
        X