Community is crawling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community is crawling

This community is really very slow so I've asked Steve to re-index the database hoping this will fix the problem. He'll get to this when he gets back from work tonight.

Alastair

Re: Community is crawling

Thanks for the above post, Alastair. I was going to post question "is anyone else having the same problem?" And you've answered me even BEFORE I posted!! Thank you very much!!! Joan

Comment

Thanks Alastair, and I trust also to Steve....

I had just saved this message, and within 20 seconds, it was published..... good work Steve...

Ranald

Comment

Looks like we are back to the slow site again.

It takes for ever just to 'Thank' or 'Like'.

Some things are reasonable speed, while others, are still very slow.

Ranald

Comment

Looks like we are back to the slow site again.

It takes for ever just to 'Thank' or 'Like'.

Some things are reasonable speed, while others, are still very slow.

This 'Quick Reply' has just failed, so trying it again.

Ranald

Comment

The ES community has been slow compared to other sites for quite a while. Probably the reason High Scores in the arcade don't always get saved.
            Euan..

Comment

It's faster at the moment but should still be faster. Keeping in touch with Steve so see how he's getting on.

Alastair

Comment

Hi Alastair, I do not know what Steve has done, but we are back in business.

Thank you both.

Ranald

Comment

Alistair: Do any of the people from the Electric Scotland. Com site every meet for lunch ? I was on that site and not sure if one needs to sign up, but the thing is, I will be in and about the "Fair City" for a two week stay. I was a member of the now defunct "sagazone" and meets were constant.

Comment

Over the years many of us have met up in person. Way back I had hoped we'd get more members from all over the world and then we could have arranged country meetings in person. You'll likely note in here that at best we get around a dozen people participating by posting messages.

I've always wanted to have a virtual community that is also a real community. I firmly believe great things could come from a real community that participates and contributes to a virtual community. I have tried three times to try and do this but each time due to lack of interest in the local community its never happened.

Way back as the web came on the scene I proposed to the Scottish government that we could invest in a local community service that would draw the whole of Scotland in which would be a yellow pages, local newspaper, estate agents, export promotion, charity, social networking, etc., etc. Has we done that the web would be very different to what it is today.

I had a team ready to go including the inventor of the very first multi-user game called MUD. He created the game as am experiment at his university to see how people might interact in an online world. With this you could live in Australia but through the online system you could arrive at Glasgow airport, get a train to go to Oban and take a boat to Mull and then travel around Mull seeing the sites, meeting the people, and even buy a home on the island.

Once you settle in the community you would learn of the local community and local gossip, participate in the local pub, etc.

I have tried to replicate this on a community basis by working on a community in Lossiemouth, Falkirk Council area to name a couple but it totallu faied as the local community did not want to get involved and neither did the local community leaders.

I still believe this type of work can make a huge positive benefit to a community bringing in tourists and also helping to promote local business and all kinds of benefits to the community. This can be done with any community in any part of the world. Right now it's never been done but I believe it should be done. We need to explore the possibilities that this type of community/virtual community can bring.

Anyway... as to your question... folk do meet up but very rarely.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                    X