"Mechanical Marvels : Clockwork Dreams"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mechanical Marvels : Clockwork Dreams"

On 25 August 3013 the BBC showed "Mechanical Marvels : Clockwork Dreams' presented by Professor Simon Schaffer.

I recorded it using Windows Media Player. However this cannot be transferred or used by another computer.

This evening I found a site with the 'sum up' section of the program,

Using the following link below, the first picture is the 'boy' you will see by selecting the next picture down, then play and enjoy the short video.

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/1...iter-automata/

Bear in mind items like the above were made late 1600 -1700, and are still made today!

There are many other interesting articles on the site, but enough for now....

Ranald

Re: "Mechanical Marvels : Clockwork Dreams"

Wow Ranald!!! I didn't know you were a time traveller in addition to your other talents :D

Elda

Comment

Hi, Ranald, we're unable to watch the automaton here in Indiana, probably the whole US. I've seen an occasional "automaton" on the American Antiques Roadshow. They are definitely fascinating! Thanks, anyway.

Joan

Comment

Hi Joan, not sure why a web site cannot be viewed by you.... It is a pity as there is a many links with interesting information on design and other objects.

NEW At the end of the video, there is a screen showing more videos. Clicking on the one at the top right, is another video well worth a viewing. [This video is NOT available from the link in my first message]

Here is a YouTube link which should work

Fingers crossed

Anyone else had a problem with the link in my first message not working ?

Ranald
        Last edited by Ranald; 17 February 2014, 18:23. Reason: Added anoother link worth a look

Comment

What I find interesting is that the eyes also move as if the automaton is actually writing.
          What a machine

Comment

No problem with the link in Canada Ranald, and I'm thoroughly amazed at the craftsmanship. Plus, this "boy" has more on the ball than some of my university students!

Comment

Hey...I WAS able to click on the first link, able to see the picture of the automaton. However, evidently in clicking on the second video (in re: the silver swan) that's when the video would not play!! This came up on screen "this video does not exist". Otherwise, perhaps "I" was confused (or tired)!!! I am suffering from a bad cold at present time!! No fun! 1st one in many years, too. Joan

Comment

Here is a link for a Utube version of the Silver Swan. It is not as good as the original one I came across, but that will not now play.

Best with full screen.

Ranald

Comment

Working...
                X