No announcement yet.

Some Literary Discussion re: TWO Books!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Literary Discussion re: TWO Books!

I am. at present, reading two books, the first of which is a history in regard to the Blitz in England, & London. That is called HOW WE LIVED THEN: A History of everyday life during the Second World War, by Norman Longmate. This is quite a long, small printed book, of 560 pp., & I take "vacation" from it off & on. However, it is quite interesting to me, seeing as how I had great-grandparents living in Chelsea, in London during the WWII. I did have to order this one from England.

Secondly, I am just starting to read THE MORNING RIVER, by W. Michael Gear. Had read very good reviews of this book, from college professors, who use it as a way of explaining in fiction the Way West, as it says on the front, A Novel of the Great Missouri Wilderness in 1825. Haven't read enough yet to make any informed judgement. The second to the series, is called COYOTE SUMMER, by the same author. I am planning on getting a copy of that one as well.

Hope this aids others in their reading, & what is out there! J :redrose:

Re: Some Literary Discussion re: TWO Books!

Last three books I read are "Huckleberry Finn", "Letters from Earth" by Mark Twain and "Billy Budd" by Herman Melville. Peter Ustinov made a brilliant film out of "Billy Budd" but the book is well worth the time.

Comment

Hey...Here in the USA, "Huckleberry Finn" is usually handed out in Freshman English in college, to read & make a report on. Also "The Sun Also Rises", by Ernest Hemingway. That's been a long time ago for this gal! I read a biography not too long ago about Mark Twain. He had a truly interesting life, & was a friend of Ulysses S. Grant towards the end of Grant's life. He's the person who recommended that Grant write his memoirs, & he did so, even as he was dying of cancer.

Comment

Mark Twain (two fathoms) was the driving force which made the British publishers begin to pay royalties to American writers. He also went into business with black man; just think of the period when he did that. His novel about Joan of Arc was panned by the critics but I read it anyway, not near smart enough to be a critic which allows me to enjoy what they don't like; a wonderful, loving tribute to the memory of Joan D'Arc and he was not the most religious man by any means. He had a tremendous vocabulary....the US of A has turned out a large number of brilliant writers, you could build an English course with just two writers, Steinbeck and F Scott would do just fine. His favourite city in Europe was Heidleberg and his second favourite was Edinburgh, where he spent only one week.

Comment

I've been enjoying the books of Laurence Dahners who is writing a series about Ell Donaii. It's set in the near future and she has inherited genes from her parents which allow her fantastic reaction speeds. She is also a genius when it comes to physics and so she keeps coming up with extraordinary inventions. There are so far 9 books in the series and the first is "Quiker".

I am also reading books by Nathan Lowell. So far he has written a large series about Ishmael Wang who due to his mothers death in a flitter accident has to vacate his home and planet within 8 weeks. The only way he can afford to get of planet is to sign on as a "Quarter Share" on a spacecraft that carries mostly bulk cargoes from planet to planet. The series tells of his life aboard and him working and studying to make progress. The series goes through various books until you get to the current final book called "Owners Share".

He has also done a 3 part series on Tanya Fairport who is a herbalist with growing powers. This is actually back in time and when the first book comes out she had been on the road for some 30 years or so learning from other herbalists.

Of course I do read history every day as that's my job and one I love. These days I try to fill gaps in our knowledge of the Scots in history and I have just finished doing the History of John Hepburn. While this is an account about him the author also tells us of other Scots fighting in the "Thirty Years War". To me it's a totally amazing story of how tens of thousands of Scots fought in that war and how successful they were.

And as a total contrast I have just started work on "Bert Lloyd's Boyhood". A Story from Nova Scotia by J. MacDonald Oxley, LL.D. (1892). The author was brought up in Nova Scotia and so draws on his own experiences. I'm hoping the younger readers especially will enjoy this one.

Alastair

Comment

Mark Twain also spent some time in Australia I believe.

Elda

Comment

Originally posted by Glesgalass View Post
              Mark Twain also spent some time in Australia I believe.

Elda
              Mark Twain in Australia: Two New Interviews

In lieu of an abstract, here is a brief excerpt of the content:

Mark Twain arrived in Sydney, Australia, on September 16, 1895, on his round-the-world speaking tour. Most of the interviews he granted during these months have been edited by Gary Scharnhorst. However, Twain sat for two interviews in Australia before the end of the year that have hitherto been lost to scholarship. Twain gave the first upon docking in Sydney aboard the Warrimoo

Read on @ http://muse.jhu.edu/login?auth=0&typ...5.2.nader.html

Comment

Hi Joan, I was in London at the time of the V1 and V2 missiles. We were walking near Goodge Street, when we heard a Vi in the distance, then silence.

That meant it was now coming down. We stopped, and there was a loud explosion, after which a large skylight fell on the pavement, where we would have been, had we not stopped.

We did not go to see the damage, but learned that it was quite extensive.

When we first went to London and the air raid sirens started, we used to go to an underground station (sometimes overnight), where we slept on the station platform!

Regards

Ranald

Comment

Ranald, I do believe that you would enjoy reading the one book I mentioned in re: "HOW WE LIVED THEN". As it does discuss everything that the Londoners, etc. went through during the Blitz. I did get this particular book from a seller in England. J

Comment

Swiftest......Having read your post a second time, I would have to agree that in Germany, the one city I definitely liked was Heidelberg. Stood up on top of some kind of tower, & observed the river, very pretty! These are memories that are over 50 years ago! J
                    Last edited by FriedaKateM; 24 March 2014, 12:20. Reason: addendum

Comment

Working...
                    X