• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq War: Mission Accomplished?

Iraq War: Mission Accomplished?

Source: ABC News
    Published: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:45 AEST
    Expires: Monday, September 28, 2009 6:45 AEST

Look back on key milestones in the Iraq War, from the search for weapons of mass destruction to the surrender of control back to Iraqis.

Watch the video at the link

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2009/06/30/2612902.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operation Iraqi Freedom Coalition Military Fatalities By Year

Country Total
    Australia 2
    Azerbaijan 1
    Bulgaria 13
    Czech Republic 1
    Denmark 7
    El Salvador 5
    Estonia 2
    Fiji 1
    Georgia 5
    Hungary 1
    Italy 33
    Kazakhstan 1
    Latvia 3
    Netherlands 2
    Poland 23
    Romania 3
    Slovakia 4
    South Korea 1
    Spain 11
    Thailand 2
    Ukraine 18
    United Kingdom 179
    United States 4412
    Total 4730
    http://www.icasualties.org/iraq/index.aspx

has anything really been achieved ???

Re: Iraq War: Mission Accomplished?

Nothing achieved other than letting the factions in Iran return to killing each other. No matter what we think of Saddam he did bring stability to that country.

Comment

My son Derrick explained to me about the two Shiite religions. One they go by their Koran and the other by the disciple. I seen a hard rock video about Holy War or insane man. I know Derrick goes 3 or 4 days without sleep because of his experience in Iraq. He does not stand fireworks and refuses to eat roast chicken.

I can only go by what it has done to my oldest boy, I can imagine what it did to all the thousands who served there.
      kellyd:redrose:

Comment

UK and US 'should have realised Iraq evidence was suspect'

By Sam Marsden and Gavin Cordon, Press Association

Tuesday, 27 July 2010
        The Independent. (World).

Britain and the United States should have realised that their intelligence about Iraq's supposed weapons of mass destruction was suspect, the former head of the United Nations weapons inspectors said today.

Giving evidence to the Iraq Inquiry, Dr Hans Blix said it should have set alarm bells ringing in London and Washington when the inspectors repeatedly failed to turn up any evidence that Saddam Hussein still had active WMD programmes.

Full article at the link

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...t-2036647.html

Comment

:sly::confused: US unable to account for billions of Iraq oil money

By Patrick Cockburn

Wednesday, 28 July 2010

The US defence department is unable to account for almost $9bn taken from Iraqi oil revenues for use in reconstruction, according to an official audit released yesterday.

The report by the US Special Investigator for Iraq Reconstruction says $8.7bn (£5.6bn) out of $9.1bn withdrawn between 2004 and 2007 from a special account set up by the UN Security Council is unaccounted for. This is separate from $53bn set aside by Congress for Iraqi reconstruction.

Though the special investigator found that some of the money was spent properly, Iraqis continually complain that they see little sign of their infrastructure being rebuilt after 30 years of war and sanctions. Electricity, clean water and sewage disposal remain wholly inadequate and seven years after the overthrow of Saddam Hussein there are few cranes visible on the Baghdad skyline or any other signs of rebuilding. A total of 95 per cent of the country's federal budget comes from oil revenue.

The scale of the sums unaccounted for are particularly striking given they cover periods well after serious fraud and corruption had been widely publicised in Iraq and abroad. The audit says that no organisation in the defence department was set up to oversee how money from the Development Fund for Iraq was spent. It adds that "the breakdown in controls left the funds vulnerable to inappropriate uses and undetected loss". Many of the organisations at the Pentagon that received funds failed to establish the accounts required to track the funds.

more at the link

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...y-2036925.html

Comment

I have so much to say about this horrible war and all the lies our gov't told us but I will only say that the "MISSION WAS NOT ACCOMPLISHED". I have a son-in-law that was sent there to serve two terms and now has horrible mental problems. He is so young, it just breaks my heart. I could go on and on about so many things, but again, NO THE MISSION WAS NOT ACCOMPLISHED.

Comment

Sorry to say, that yet again we see those with the money making more money, and those without receiving even less than before.

Ranald

Comment

What gives us the right to impose our method of Government on someone else?

Elda

Comment

These are Iraqi tanks lined up near Kuwait City about 12 months after the 1st Gulf War..........one of the lads in the photographs died two years later after being exposed to Depleted Uranium residue :unimpressed::angry:

Comment

The UK Attorney General, I am not sure of his proper title, has ordered a full inquiry to Dr Kelly's ordeal.
                    kellyd:redrose:

Comment

American led war crimes "Paying the Price: Killing the Children of Iraq" - spsyed review

"Paying the price: Killing the Children of Iraq". This must watch documentary is available online linked here. In a hard-hitting special report, award-winning journalist and filmmaker John Pilger investigates the effects of sanctions on the children of Iraq and finds that ten years of extraordinary sanctions, imposed by the UN and enforced by the US and Britain, have killed more people than the two atomic bombs dropped by American on Japan. American-British led forces invaded and occupied Iraq and Afghanistan where they continue to commit more crimes against humanity. Iraq was bombed almost everyday over a period of twelve years between January 1991 and May 2003, killing almost two millions civilians, including under-age children. A 1999 Unicef report calculated that more than half a million children had died as a direct result of American and British enforced sanctions. In September 1998, Denis Halliday head of the UN humanitarian programme in Iraq resigned, saying he could no longer administer 'an immoral and illegal' policy. His successor, Hans von Sponeck also later resigned, along with the head of the World Food Programme but the genocidal sanctions continued years after Iraq was totally disarmed. When asked on US television whether the death of 500,000 Iraqi children as a result of sanctions was justified Madelaine Albright replied "I think this is a very hard choice, but the price - we think the price is worth it". Sanctions on the people of Iraq had devastating effects on health, education and agriculture. In order to win Muslim hearts and minds, American forces used over 320-tons of radioactive uranium 238 to poision soil and water in Iraq for billions of years. American and British politicians and war criminal used lies and pretext to destroy and disarm Iraq totally. The criminals deployed more lies and pretexts in 2001 and 2003 to invade and occupy Aghanistan and Iraq.

The double impact of sanctions and bombing has had an unacceptable effect on Iraq and its people; the motives behind the embargo are anything other than humanitarian; and US and UK politicians have avoided and distorted the truth in their arguments that sanctions should be maintained. A number of "inquiries" simply continue to whitewash the war crimes. The US controls oil and gas supply and prices in the Middle East with the ultimate future aim of sabotaging Chinese and Indian economies. Sanctions were also a lucrative embargo for America. The imperial war criminals were never punished even after this documentary was televised on ITV channel UK on 06 March 2000. "Paying the price: Killing the Children of Iraq" is written and presented by John Pilger, produced and directed by Alan Lowery. "It is not enough for people to see themselves as global media consumers without understandig the hidden motives, agendas, lies, pretexts, myths, and covert plots against humanity. This clip is edited by SPSyed who has rephrased this famous quote from John Pilger. Watch the full 75mins documentary online linked here http://video.google.com/googleplayer.... ; For further information, visit http://www.johnpilger.com/page.asp?pa... ; where you can find other must watch landmark, hard-hittig documentaries made by John Pilger who remains one of the bravest, award-winning journalist. Pilger's work is a beacon of light. His courage and insight remain constant inspiration. Pilger has written a number of books on the subjects he investigated, including "The New Rulers of the World".

Comment

Working...
                      X