Sir Thomas Dick Lauder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Thomas Dick Lauder

As I mentioned in the previous post I am now bringing you some of his books which I hope you'll enjoy.

The first of these is "Lochandhu" which is in 3 volumes. I am adding these to his page in our Significant Scots section. We have two other publications which are historical and will add these at the conclusion of this one.

The Preface for this one says...

Loch-an-eilan.—This lake is much embellished by an ancient castle standing on an island within it, and even yet entire, though roofless. As a Highland castle, it is of considerable dimensions, and the island being scarcely larger than its foundations, it appears to rise immediately out of the water —It would not be easy to imagine a wilder position than this, for a den of thieves and robbers, nor one more thoroughly romantic. It is more like the things of which we read in the novels of the Otranto School, than a scene of real life. If ever you should propose to rival the Author of Waverley in that line of art, I recommend you to choose part of your scene here. As I lay on its topmost tower, amid the universal silence, while the bright sun exalted the perfume from the woods around, and all the old world visions and romances seemed to flit about its grey and solitary ruins, I, too, felt as if I would have written a chapter that might hereafter be worthy the protection of Minerva—the Minerva of Leadenhall Street."

MacCulloch’s Letters on the Highlands of Scotland.

You can read this book at the foot of his page at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...er_thomas1.htm

Alastair

Re: Sir Thomas Dick Lauder

Hi Alastair

In view of your comment in Chapter 5, will the entire book be available in pdf format as I have an interest in the story, my GG father would have been 22 at the time of the visit, and worked in Dalkeith at the time.

You have a small book about him on the site. (Darling Memorial Sketch Book).

Ranald

Comment

Hi Ranald... all three volumes are going up usually a couple of chapters per week. Once completed we have a 2 volume and 3 volume publication we will be adding and probably one other.

John Henderson has undertaken this project for us as he obtains the pdf versions and then he cleans them up and published them by chapter.

Alastair

Comment

Hi Alastair,
        The individual chapters are not in pdf, once all chapters are up, will the 'book' be available in pdf ?

Otherwise I will have one chapter in pdf, and all the others in MS Word....

Regards

Ranald

Comment

We are now up to chapter 6 of volume 1 Ranald. Not sure how you are seeing MS Word files. Are we talking about the same book "Lochandhu"?

Alastair

Comment

Hello Alastair, yes old age is telling, confused brain..... I was d/ling two books, and must have been mixed up.

All is well with both books.... sorry

Ranald

Comment

Working...
            X