Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Men Don't Ask for Directions

By Linda Sapadin, Ph.D

Women often find the male mind hard to understand. Why can’t men ask for directions when they are lost? Why can’t they read an instructional manual when they don’t know how to do something? Why can’t they pore over a self-help book on relationships when it can help them enhance their skills?

An old adage is that women are emotional and men are logical.

So how come men don’t operate rationally when they don’t know something?

At first blush it may seem ridiculous, but logic can propel us in different directions. What seems illogical may actually be quite logical, if only you understand the logic behind it. So, let’s begin with three major operating principles of the typical male mind.

•Men prefer to learn by doing, not by being told what to do.

This is why boys generally don’t do as well as girls in school. They don’t want to sit still and listen. They want to experiment with stuff, move stuff around, find solutions for themselves.

Grown men don’t readily give up this part of themselves. Hence, if a man is lost, asking for directions is like admitting defeat. He had to ask for assistance. He couldn’t figure it out for himself. How humiliating!

•Men want to win.

Men want to emerge victorious. They want to be effective. They will soldier on alone, if need be. So, don’t get him off track by engaging in a discussion of the problem, especially if you are suggesting a solution that seems perfectly logical to you but goes against his grain. If you pressure him to do it the ‘logical’ way, don’t be surprised if instead of thanking you for the suggestion, he brusquely tells you to back off and leave him alone.

•Men want to be strong.

Men don’t want to be told what to do. Read a self-help book? Nah, it will just make him feel vulnerable. It will tell him what he’s doing wrong. It will tell him how to do things differently. Who needs this? He’s gotten along fine in life. Why change? Better to just suck it up, let her complaints roll off his back, let time pass and things will get better by themselves. Or so he hopes.

The male mind is a strange phenomenon for many women. Does it feel just a bit less strange to you now? I hope so. For men and women really do think differently.

This is pretty informative, at least to my thinking! J :angelic:

Re: Why Men Don't Ask for Directions

Years ago we went on a campervan trip with another couple, friends of ours. I've always had a very good sense of direction which I've been told a lot of women don't have.

On this trip one day the other husband was driving and made a left turn from under a railway bridge and I couldn't help myself I blurted out "You're going the wrong way" but my friend elbowed me in the ribs so I shut up. About 3 kms down the track I could see the steam coming out of the drivers ears as he realised I was right and had to turn around.

I don't see why I should have to shut up when I know I'm right just to pander to a man's ego. Men don't do it when they think a woman is wrong.

Elda

Comment

We all know that men are always right.................its just that now and again we let slip an intentional mistake to let the female of the species become aware that although we are superior , we are also kind enough to bolster any feeling of shortcomings by the weaker sex. I think that shows how caring and kind us men are. :wink::wink::wink::tongue::tongue::tongue:

:redrose::redrose::redrose::redrose::redrose::redr ose:

Comment

What rubbish..men don't ask for directions because generally we don't need them, simple as that. Women think otherwise because they feel they have to be in control, and are not happy unless they are.
        Men are quite simple beings really, we know what we want,how to get it, and where to find it.Women on the other hand have to complicate things by putting emotion in the mix.
        If i was to ask for directions i certainly wouldn't ask Linda Sapadin, Ph.D ..otherwise i would end up at the mental institution where the white coats would cart me away.
        Euan..

Comment

I have no need to ask directions, there's a sat/nav in the glove compartment.

Comment

My sat nav is on the front passenger seat....don't use it much because there is no mute button on it...
            Euan..

Comment

Something relevant to this in here.
              funny2.com/mensrules.htm

Comment

Working...
              X