Bit of an update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of an update

It's been a while since I posted in here so thought it was past time I gave you a bit of an update on what is happening on this web site at www.electriccanadian.com

I've been working on a variety of things on the site and have added lots of videos I've found on YouTube so as you go around the site you'll find them on most of our index pages and I also have a section just for videos of Canada from the index page of the site.

Recently I have focused my attention on Nova Scotia and so a number of new publications are going up there. You can't write about any aspect of Nova Scotia without coming across Scots. Scots are the largest ethnic group in Nova Scotia and many still speak Gaelic.

Some of the more recent books I've been adding are...

Folklore of Nova Scotia
    By Mary L. Fraser
    Nova Scotia Historical Society
    Reports and Collections
    Bert Lloyd's Boyhood
    A Story from Nova Scotia by J. MacDonald Oxley, LL.D. (1892)
    Nova Scotia: The Province that has been Passed By
    By Beckles Willson (1911) (work in progress)
    A History of Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
    By Frank H. Patterson, LL.D (1917) (work in progress)

I also have a couple of good videos on the index page for Nova Scotia at
    http://www.electriccanadian.com/history/novascotia/index.htm

You'll also find a large collection on the Armed Forces of Canada and have recently added to that section...

Sergeant Preston Of The Yukon
    A collection of videos.
    Canada and the Great War
    A series of Videos exploring the role Canada played in the Great War.
    Royal Canadian Navy
    A WW2 personal documentary by Gilbert O S Davis
    Canadian Rangers
    The Canadian Rangers are a sub-component of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) Reserve. They provide patrols and detachments for national-security and public-safety missions in sparsely settled northern, coastal and isolated areas of Canada that can not conveniently or economically be covered by other parts of the CAF.
    The Irish-Canadian Rangers
    This is a pdf version of this book.
    Citizen Lauder
    Being an account of the day when Harry Lauder, guest and speaker before the Rotary Club of Toronto, sold nearly three-quarters of a million dollars worth of Bonds for Canada's victory Loan. (pdf)
    History of the York Rangers
    By Captain A. T. Hunter (1913)

When it comes to our Religious section I have recently added...

Memoir of the Rev James MacGregor D.D.
    Missionary of the General Associate Synod of Scotland to Pictou, Nova Scotia with Notices of the Colonization of the Lower Provinces of British America, and of the Social and Religious condition of the Early Settlers by his Grandson The Rev. George Patterson (1859)
    Knox Presbyterian Church
    Tiverton, Ontario - 150 years
    Memoir of the Right Reverend John Strachan D.D. LL.D.
    First Bishop of Toronto by A. N. Bethune his successor in the See (1870)
    Experiences of a Backwoods Preacher
    Facts and Incidents culled from thirty years of Ministerial life by Rev. Joseph H. Hilts, Second Edition (1892)

In our Industry and Transport section I have added...

Kootenay Valley Railway (Canadian Pacific) Cabride - Trail to Nelson, BC
    With power consisting of no less than 4 SD40-2s and a GP38-2, the KVR's Hotshot is shown making its way from Tadanac yard in Trail to the crew change point of Nelson. This trip of 47 miles goes through some of the most beautiful scenery in Canada.
    Last Train Across Canada - Murray Sayle - 1990
    Full Documentary, Originally produced for PBS "Travels" Series.
    Doug Jones Travelog: The Great Canadian Train Ride

Canadian Fishing Industry
    Information on the Canadian Fishing Industry
    History of the Cunard Steam Ship Company

Some of the more recent material in our Lifestyle section includes...

Canadian Household Survey
    The 2011 survey.
    Settling in Canada
    A series of videos helping you to prepare for coming to and settling in Canada.
    Over Canada
    A video letting you see Canada through an Arial Adventure
    History of Ice Hockey
    A CBC Video Documentary
    Wild Life in Canada
    By Captain Angus Buchanan, M.C. (1920)
    Alone in the Wild with Ed Wardle
    I wanted to share this, since I thought that this series took away the Hollywood character of the Bear Grylls and friends survival series and actually shows more of the real deal for people that are not as highly trained. It also shows how making bad decisions can cost you a lot. It's definitely slower than the other series, but it also seems more real. I say it seem more real because you never ever know 100% if it was staged or not. I do think that if this was staged though, it was a freaking amazing performance.
    The Last Trapper
    For over 20 years, Nicolas Vanier, an untiring voyager in the coldest of climes, a veritable Jack London of modern times, has criss-crossed the wildest regions of the far northern lands. His travels include major expeditions in Siberia, Lapland, Alaska and of course Canada, where he recently undertook an incredible White Odyssey: 8600 kilometres covered with a team of sledge dogs, from Alaska all the way to Quebec. It was during that crossing, on the floor of a sumptuous and inaccessible valley in the Rocky Mountains, that Nicolas met the man who inspired him to make this film, a film that has lived within the man.
    Les Stroud (Survivorman) - Off The Grid
    Les does quite a few videos about surviving in all kinds of locations in the world.
    The Canadian Curler's Manual
    or an account of curling as practised in Canada with remarks on the history of the game by James Bickett (1840)
    Travel in Canada
    Some ideas of holidays in Canada.

In our Pioneering section the more recent content includes...

The Pioneers of Old Ontario
    Formal history and standard biography play an important part in fostering a national spirit. Canada has an ample supply of such works; but the history of the Beginners of the Nation, the men and women who carved out homes for themselves in the dense forests, on the wide, lonely prairies, and in the stern mountain valleys. Their story can be gleaned only from almost inaccessible nooks, where lies "a veritable storehouse of information" on pioneer days.
    Big John Wallace
    By Archie P. McKishnie (1922)
    Rae Mears Bushcraft
    A few interesting videos.
    The Young Voyageurs
    Or Boy Hunters of the North by Captain Mayne Reid. This is a book for younger readers. (work in progress)
    The Letters of Rusticus
    By David Currie (1880)
    Donald Morrison, The Canadian Outlaw
    A Tale of the Scottish Pioneers

In our Makers of Canada section where we try to bring you information on influential Canadians we have recently added...

The True Makers of Canada

The Narrative of Gordon Sellar who emigrated to Canada in 1825.
    Chris Hadfield
    Canadian Astronaut

Donald McCaig
    Famous educationist in 19th Century Canada
    Ian Angus Michael Munro
    President of CASSOC
    Paul Desmarais
    A key member of Canada's financial elite, and friend to premiers and prime ministers.

Dr Norman Bethune
    China's Hero, Canada's Traitor.
    Malcolm MacLeod
    Influential in creating the CPR and building Western Canada
    Conrad Black
    Media Mogul and Historian
    Philip Gray
    A gifted & brave WW2 pilot, author and friends to many around the world.
    Diefenbaker
    Prime Minister of Canada (another Scot)

In our History section I recently added...

Road to Canada's Confederation
    This a great video that uses both video clips from "Canada: A People's History" as well as summaries directly from multiple Ontario Grade 8 History textbooks. It pertains specifically to the Ontario Social Studies Curriculum. It a great learning resource for both teachers and students! Enjoy!
    Colonial Question - Canada
    A four part article from Tait's Edinburgh Magazine 1849 (pdf)

Overall I've tried to add lots of videos from YouTube but I am finding that on a regular basis they either are being deleted or are no longer available. For example I had the 17 videos up that is a major CBC producation with each video being nearly 2 hours in length. I recently discovered that this whole series was no longer available so all links were dead. I found however that they were still there but now under different urls. So I have now updated them on the page at
    http://www.electriccanadian.com/history/canada/canadianhistory_videos.htm

I do find that some of the videos I put up are simply gone but others can be found if you search for them. So should you come across a video that no longer works you could go to YouTube and search for the title and you might find it. I might add that if you do find a video that no longer works I'd appreciate you letting me know and I'll try and fix it.

I have also tried to work on the music of Canada and should you know of Canadian music artists and are a fan you might consider doing a wee write up for the site and provide any video links of them. Like I did a wee tribute to Stompin' Tom Conners which you can see at http://www.electriccanadian.com/lifestyle/music/stompin_tom.htm

At the end of the day if anyone had information on any aspects of Canada I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Si this is my update and I'll try to remember to tell you of new additions on a more regular basis.

Alastair
Working...
X