Writers i've overlooked.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writers i've overlooked.

title of this thread should mibee have been, "a writer i missed completely". "William McIlvanney" is new tae me, never heard of him until last Saturday. The association started mair than a month ago when a woman who goes tae the same sort of meetigs i mahsel attends, telt me about this writer, said she had a book by him and she would gie it tae me; couldnae recall the authors name if ye paid me. Anyway, the woman said she had told me about the author a couple of years back and she would definitely broing the book tae me if we were at the same meeting the following Saturday, and sure enough the pair of us are there.
    I get the book and after the meeting I am headed for Ridgetown, a half hour frae Chatham. The Aztec is 14 years old and a wee bit tired, has a tendency for hot flashes. Less than ten minutes intae my trip, she, (the aztec, no the lady) overheats and I pullover ontae the shoulder of the road; jist havtae sit a couple of minutes. Hummin tae mahsel cause I sometimes do that, I pick the book up.
    I read for about ten minutes and stopped once more on my way; took an hour tae get me hame.
    The man is a very guid writer, close tae Rankin and Ken Bruen. And it's no like he has been hiding under a bush, the man is fairly famous has won awards and sich....jist nae idea why i havnae come across him afore now.

Re: Writers i've overlooked.

I enjoy Alexander McCall Smith. A great variety of stories.

Here is a short "Youtube" snippet of one of his works dramatised fot television.:cool::cool:

The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency .

Last edited by 1938 Observer; 3 April 2014, 22:54. Reason: Added text and video.

Comment

Here is the site where there is a list of the titles by Alexander McCall Smith. A great variety of stories for both young and old.

Books by Alexander McCall Smith
      In this section of the website you will find information about each of Alexander McCall Smith's series as well as extracts from the books.

http://www.alexandermccallsmith.co.uk/books/

and........... a little snippet about the author......

R. Alexander "Sandy" McCall Smith, CBE, FRSE, (born 24 August 1948) is a Rhodesian-born British writer and Emeritus Professor of Medical Law at the University of Edinburgh. In the late twentieth century, McCall Smith became a respected expert on medical law and bioethics and served on British and international committees concerned with these issues. He has since become internationally known as a writer of fiction. He is most widely known as the creator of the The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series.[1] "McCall" is not a middle name: his surname is "McCall Smith

Comment

I read "The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency". Also talked to someone about it and perhaps I should read it again; I remember thinking it was quite different....seems to me their was a very interseting character living in Edinburgh, a middle aged woman. Now wondering if I am thinking of the same book......it's an age thing.

Comment

Just a few words of thanks to "observer" for the youtube clip. At this time I haven't been able to view the clip, the old imac balks at youtube clips and I am going deaf, however, the senior centre has an up-to-date modern system which I will use. Not nearly enough hours in the day, is there !!

Comment

Perhaps a thread for writers I should have overlooked. I have a "kindle" and the number of mistakes, typos, mis-spellings which amazon overlooks is a crime. But, two writers in particular; Vincent Cobb's "revelation" has worked to death, "whilst"; the other is a very popular, Sebastien Faulks, his "Birdsong" might have been five pages shorter if the pronoun "that" had been edited out.

Comment

Working...
            X