Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A lack of knowledge in regards two writers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lack of knowledge in regards two writers.

Joyce, James: Lots of years ago, a first year English introduced me to Joyce, "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man". I read it, the entire book, liked what I read. One of the lectures was about the "greatness" of Joyce and we were told there were many, many scholars who rated him the "finest" novelist of the 20th./ century. So, I tried "Finnegan's Wake", wow and "what the hell"; I never understood anything of the part I read; doubt if I reached mid point; Joyce was dismissed from my mind. A few years down the road, "The Dubliners". I enjoyed most of the short stories, really liked a couple and I am one of those who are not really into short stories. But, short stories by Joyce might not lead me to think of him being "the greatest". I have read a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald; brilliant, and sometimes between his bouts with the booze he must have cozied up to the English language as other men would to a woman.
    Still not sure about Joyce.
    Eliot, T.S.: Required reading, perhaps from the same first year English, was his, "Prufrock". Not sure I ever read it but for whatever reason I have always thought of him as being Irish. Sometime in my recent past I was told he was English. However, I became curious as to him being credited for the lyrics used by Webber for "cats"; had a long laugh at myself when I discovered his country of birth; the man was an American, born in St. Louis, graduated from Harvard, studied at the Sorbonne and Oxford....became "English" when hired by Lloyds Bank.
Working...
X