Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memories of his Time

By Henry Cockburn

“It occurred to me, several years ago, as a pity, that no private account should be preserved of the distinguished men or important events that had marked the progress of Scotland, or at least of Edinburgh, during my day. I had never made a single note with a view to such a record. But about 1821 I began to recollect and to inquire.”

Such is the brief account which Lord Cockburn, writing in the year 1840, gives of the origin of his Memorials.

What is now presented to the public by his Executors was accordingly written between 1821 and the close of the year 1830. Some alterations and additions however, though only to a small extent, were made at times subsequent to 1830.

It may further be explained, that the characters of some eminent men—as for example Henry Erskine and the first Lord Melville, and the details of some remarkable events—such as the establishment of the Edinburgh Review and its great public effects, have been omitted in this publication, because they are contained, with no very material variation, in Lord Cockburn’s Life of Lord Jeffrey.

Edinburgh, May 1856.

This book is now going up and once completed I'll be providing some further reading from him.

You can to this at
    http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...burn/index.htm

Alastair
Working...
X