The Forester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Forester

Being Plain and Practical Directions for the Planting, Rearing, and General Management of Forest Trees by James Brown, Forester, Arniston (1847)

PREFACE

Having, for the period of fifteen years, had my attention almost entirely devoted to the rearing up and cutting down of forest trees, I have during that time seen much to convince me that arboriculture is not in that advanced state among us which its real importance demands.

The present improved condition of agriculture is the natural result of the great attention paid to that science by the landed proprietors and farmers of Great Britain during the past twenty years; while, upon the other hand, the proper management of plantations has been almost entirely neglected, and this mainly because landed proprietors have not had their attention and interest directed towards the subject.

Many of our home woods are rapidly dying out, as if by consumption ; yet the cause does not appear to be known among those who have the management of them: and, seeing this state of things, it appears to me very evident, that until noblemen and gentlemen shall become as truly practical foresters, as they now are practical farmers, we cannot reasonably expect to see our home plantations exhibit the extent and healthy development which it is most desirable should characterise them. I am anxious that the spirit of improvement should be aroused among our landed proprietors, relative to arboriculture: and at the same time I am of opinion that it is necessary, in order to the gaining of this end, that all proprietors should be made acquainted with practical forestry, and that upon the most improved principles. It is with the hope of promoting such knowledge that I am induced to publish the present work: and I have been further encouraged in compiling it by the fact that many extensive landed proprietors in Scotland have invited me to visit their plantations, and report upon them for their future guidance ; and by my having constantly found the gentlemen who have thus honoured me with their patronage as a forester, most anxious to be made acquainted with the practical details of arboriculture. I am therefore led to hope that this little treatise may be both acceptable and of service to them.

JAMES BRONX.
    Arniston, November 1847.

You can get to this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/agri...rest/index.htm

Alastair
Working...
X