storage of potato crop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• storage of potato crop

Does anyone know of a reliable method of preventing stored potatoes from sprouting? All the methods I have tried so far have failed. I read in a gardening magazine that a "foolproof" method was to pack the potatoes (after hardening off) in layers between sheets of newspaper in light-tight cardboard boxes with sprigs of rosemary in each layer. Opened the boxes to check a month later and found the potatoes sprouting madly, so I practically denuded my rosemary patch for nothing.
    I believe the commercially sold potatoes are treated with a sprout-inhibiting chemical, but I prefer to stay organic. If anyone knows of a method which actually does work I would be interested to hear about it.

Re: storage of potato crop

Read from page 36 of the pdf file at http://www.electriccanadian.com/tran...ginc00park.pdf

Hope this helps.

Alastair

Comment

Hello Alastair - have had a browse through that book. Looks like I'll have to find a method of ventilating the boxes without letting in any light. Too late for this year; I'll think about it over winter.
      Thanks for your suggestion. Regards, J.

Comment

I don't know of any way to prevent sprouting, but my mother's system was infallible: send the kids downstairs every couple of months to pull the sprouts off, repeat as necessary till the new crop is in!

Comment

:laugh2: Thanks Rick - no kids here, and too much work for me, so my fed my spuds to the pigs instead!

Comment

I have heard an apple stored with the potatoes prevents budding. Sounds a bit far out to me but you never know with old wives' remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie View Post
              I have heard an apple stored with the potatoes prevents budding. Sounds a bit far out to me but you never know with old wives' remedies.
              Well, if "an apple a day keeps the doctor away", then why not "Keep the sprouts at bay"

Comment

Well it couldn't hurt, I've tried everything else. The idea has some apeel...to get to the core of the matter, the sprouts are giving me the pip anyway.

Comment

I got a bag of Prince Edward potatoes this past week and they come in a bag with a plastic mesh window in the bag to let air in. I do keep them in a cupboard where there is no light coming in. I suspect if I could get a wee bit if air circulation in there I'd be fine but right now no sprouts. Mind you I have had other potatoes and they will still sprout in that same cupboard but when I think about it they came in a plastic bag whereas these ones are in a thick paper bag.

Alastair

Comment

Originally posted by albalad View Post
                    Well it couldn't hurt, I've tried everything else. The idea has some apeel...to get to the core of the matter, the sprouts are giving me the pip anyway.
                    Much more of this sort of appling punishment and I'm switching to rice!

Comment

Even that might go against the grain - could even get you into a bit of a paddy. (Its okay, just trying to get a risotto you.)
                      This could go on for quite a while, Rick...:laugh2:

Comment

Working...
                      X