Larnach Castle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larnach Castle

Although this historic castle is well enough known in New Zealand, it may not be familiar to those in other countries, so I thought I would post something about it for those who may be interested. It is the only castle in this country, and as far as I know, the only castle in the Southern hemisphere. I used to live very near this castle as a boy and visited it often. I still remember the thrill of climbing the eerie spiral staircase up to the battlements and the spectacular view of the Otago peninsular.It was built by the wealthy politician William Larnach.
    The castle is, of course, haunted (like any other self-respecting historic castle) by an entity known as the Grey Lady. I never saw her myself, although others have. If you click on the link below it will take you to a website where you can read the history of this building, along with many photographs and videos, and also learn the tragic history of William Larnach himself.

www.larnachcastle.co.nz

Re: Larnach Castle

I would you to appreciate your decision to share your knowledge with others. I think it is a great source to increase others information. I visit your shared link it is really helpful for those who want to visit there and have no information about this lovely attraction. I must say the images of this place are very beautiful and invite me toward it.
    Get more info on popular streets of the world.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed reading about 'The Camp', Jacky - for some more information see the link here:

www.otagohtml-peninsula.co.nz/larnachcastle.

Should you ever come to New Zealand it's well worth a visit. You may also like to refer to my other post in this forum concerning Larnach's Tomb. - regards, John.

Comment

Hi John, the link does not work for me, any thoughts ?

Ranald

Comment

Try this one:

http://www.otago-peninsula.co.nz/larnachcastle.html

Cheers,

Hugh
          Last edited by Hugh; 22 September 2014, 13:20.

Comment

Thanks for that Hugh, it is still not the one which gave the full history.

IGNORE THIS LINE [When this subject first started, I managed to find a site with a full history of Larnach, but so far have not found it again.]

What silly billy I am, the link is on the first page of this forum.... !!!!

http://www.larnachcastle.co.nz/

Ranald
            Last edited by Ranald; 22 September 2014, 13:55. Reason: Found and added THE link !

Comment

Originally posted by albalad View Post
              Glad you enjoyed reading about 'The Camp', Jacky - for some more information see the link here:

www.otagohtml-peninsula.co.nz/larnachcastle.

Should you ever come to New Zealand it's well worth a visit. You may also like to refer to my other post in this forum concerning Larnach's Tomb. - regards, John.
              Sure Johne, I will visit this Castle as soon as possible. In fact I will go there after my Scotland tour. Would you like to add the names of some other attractive places near this Castle? Moreover I will see your other posts. I hope it will be informative as it is.

Comment

Jacky, if you use the link supplied by Hugh in his post (thanks to Hugh, by the way) and click on "Otago Peninsula" in the top left corner, this may give you a few ideas. But it really depends on what your interests are - if you like great scenery, it's just about everywhere. If you enjoy gardens, plants, flowers etc. you will want to visit Glenfalloch (The Hidden Valley). There are aviaries here too where you can view many species of native birds. (This is quite near to the Castle.) If you want to see other wildlife you can take a tour and see Sea Lions, penguins and many other creatures; you can also visit Taiaroa Head (where I used to live) and see the Royal Albatross colony.
                If you want to see magnificent architecture there sure is a lot of it in Dunedin - my favourite buildings are Saint Paul's Cathedral, Knox Church, First Church and the Railway Station (known as the ugliest building in the country.) There's a wee shop here too where you can buy items of Highland dress and other things from Scotland. (And, of course, you will have to go and pay your respects to 'oor Rab' in the Octagon!)
                These are just a few ideas - the ultimate experience, if you can manage it, would be to tour the South Island.
                Here is another link I have found which may be useful:

http://www.dunedinnz.com/visit/see-a...tago-peninsula

Hope this one works. - John.

Comment

John! I must say your post is full of information about different attractions and you have provided much detail about it. I will go there with my younger brother who love to see the wildlife and historical places. I note down your suggested places to remember. I think now I can enjoy my tour easily but there will be a problem to select the place where we will stay? The hotel which is mentioned in the above provided link is too much costly I am looking for such accommodation which is affordable?

Comment

Jacky, if you are travelling on a limited budget and have some camping equipment, something like Backpackers may be your best option. I have had a look around and found this place in Portobello which would be quite central for your excursions on the peninsula and is about the cheapest I can find:

http://www.tourism.net.nz/holiday/de...n%2Fdunedin%2F

Hope this helps.

Comment

A few years back I tried to persuade New Zealand Travel to do a project with me to promote New Zealand through a number of large articles complete with pictures and videos but they didn't see any value in that sad to say.

Alastair

Comment

It's a pity they didn't accept your offer, Alastair, but perhaps not surprising. Just looking through the draft N.Z. Tourism Strategy 2015, the whole tone of the document seems to me very insular - it's target is entirely onshore (central government, local government, local operators and institutions, etc.) No mention anywhere of the value of seeking input or co-operation offshore, which seems to me to be a lack of broader vision on the part of those who put the draft together.

Another opportunity lost.

Comment

The are by no means alone in their attitude as I see the same response all over the world.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                          X