Jacobite Songs and Ballads of Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacobite Songs and Ballads of Scotland

From 1688 to 1746 by Charles MacKay LL.D. (1861)

I came across this book and it looks to be an excellent one with just Scottish Jacobite songs. Others with a similar title also include English and Irish songs. It also carries an appendix with modern Jacobites songs. So a good resource for those interested in this subject.

You can download this book at: http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/jacobite.htm

Alastair

Re: Jacobite Songs and Ballads of Scotland

Thanks Alastair, interesting as much for the fact that it existed 115 years after "the '45" as for its content. There may be parallels to "reconciliation" initiatives in today's world, but I still think Burns had their number best in "Ye Jacobites By Name".

Comment

That Burns song was excellent Rick.

Alastair

Comment

Alastair, I just had to tell you how much I appreciated your link to this book. I have been collecting songs and ballads concerning the '45 for many years now, and although it took a while to load it was well worth the wait as it contains several which were new to me.
        Just wondering if you know of a source where the sheet music (i.e. melody, chords etc.) can be obtained for these ballads as although I don't perform anymore I like to have them for the sake of completion. I'll continue researching this myself online but any info you have would be welcome.
        Also appreciated the book "Highlands of Scotland in 1750" - have downloaded it and am reading it now.
        P.S. Thanks for birthday greetings! - John.

Comment

Scots Minstrelsie
          A National Monument of Scottish Song in 6 volumes
          Edited and Arranged by John Greig, Mus. Doc. (Oxon.) (1893)
          http://www.electricscotland.com/musi...lsie/index.htm

There you will find sheet music although not sure if the ones in the Jacobite songs book are in there.

Glad you liked the other books.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
          X