Favourite Television Viewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Television Viewing

I think I've watched the complete series two or three times, I still get a chuckle when I think of some of the episodes; of course it was sad when "Wee Jock" died.

Robert Carlyle in Hamish Macbeth (1995) #1

Season 1 Episode 1: The Great Lochdubh Salt Robbery

Wife getting you down ? ... has she tried to knock you off lately ? better keep an eye on those champagne bottle labels then !

This clip from "The Honourable Policeman" from the series Hamish MacBeth

The wife tries to poison the Major in Hamish MacBeth

Re: Favourite Television Viewing

Our introduction the the leader of the church of the Stony Path in BBC's Hamish Macbeth series

Malachi McBean

Comment

Monarch of the glen S1-E1-P1

and this one is still showing on our local ABC channel...........

Doc Martin: Going Bodmin

Dr. Martin Ellingham gives up life as a London surgeon, to become a GP in the sleepy Cornish hamlet of Portwenn.

Comment

Thanks Gordon,

I use to watch Taggart untill Mark McManus died.

It was set in Glasgow..
        Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Marie View Post
          Thanks Gordon,

I use to watch Taggart untill Mark McManus died.

It was set in Glasgow..
          I enjoyed it also Marie, another good one is Frost.
          --------------------------------------------------------

The best British police shows

Many of the best cop shows are made by ITV so let’s stick with that channel and not let the BBC have all the exposure. By the way, do most people realise that the BBC is paid for by a licence fee that everyone who owns a television must buy? That means there is no advertising on the Beeb. ITV must make its own way with advertising so it’s at a disadvantage, especially in these straitened times. Having said that, ITV does make plenty of quality drama.

Midsomer Murders is a very popular and long-running series starring John Nettles as Inspector Barnaby and is filmed in the beautiful rural villages around Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire. Despite these picturesque and peaceful locations, fans of the show know the body count in each episode can almost get up to double figures!

The stories always include facets of village life: church fetes, vicars, parties at the lord of the manor’s house, a shop keeper whose antiquarian book shop is just a front for crime, a lady novelist who turns out to have wielded the dagger. In the midst of all this intrigue steps Inspector Barnaby and his faithful sidekick Sergeant Troy (played by Luke Casey - I always think of Far From the Madding Crowd when they say Sgt Troy).

The joke in the UK is – why would anyone live in such a dangerous village? Even the Queen is a fan as she commented to John Nettles, ‘Is there anyone left alive in Midsomer?’ Despite the body count, the series has a strangely comforting appeal and retains its popularity – a new series is being commissioned in 2010. Sadly, I understand the Biography Channel in the US is no longer showing it. Email and beg them to reinstate.

Another super cop show in a similar mould is Inspector Morse played by the late, great John Thaw. Morse, with his own sidekick Sgt Lewis, is set in lovely Oxford but with a body count almost as high as in Midsomer! Morse himself, the opera loving, crossword doing, bachelor policeman who drives a lovely old red Jaguar car round the dreaming spires always gets the murderer. John Thaw died in 2002 not long after his screen character had a heart attack on the green lawn of an Oxford College. The most moving episode when Lewis said goodbye to his old boss was a huge ratings winner. There have since been a few episodes called Lewis, featuring his faithful sidekick.

A touch of Frost is a 15-year-old cop show featuring grumpy widower DI Jack Frost (David Jason) whose maverick tactics always lead him to the killer. David Jason has said he will retire this year but all the shows are available on DVD. Set in the fictional town of Denton, A Touch of Frost does not have quite such beautiful locations and gruesome murders as Midsomer but the plots are always extremely clever and convoluted.

I just want to finish with mention of a two-part drama shown on ITV recently. Called A Place of Execution, it starred Juliet Stevenson and Lee Ingleby and was a brilliant police story. The plot was partly set in 1963 when a young girl disappeared and the evocation of that time, clothes, cars and interiors, was excellent. Told in a series of flashbacks, a modern day documentary maker seeks to interview the detective who originally investigated the disappearance. The twist at the end was so unexpected. Fantastic.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art60568.asp

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Taggart - Death Without Dishonour

Comment

Here is another good, Scottish also..

Rebus - trailer

Ken Stott (Shallow Grave, The Vice, Messiah) brings the brooding Inspector John Rebus to life on screen, straight off the pages of Edgar®-winning Ian Rankin's crime novels. Haunted by his own failings and the human tragedies that he faces every day, Rebus relentlessly pursues truth under the leaden skies of modern-day Edinburgh. His eager young sidekick, DS Siobhan Clarke (Claire Price, Poirot: The Hollow, The Whistle-Blower) resents Rebus's condescending manner at first, but grudgingly comes to respect her gruff partner's abilities. Together, they conduct their investigations under the watchful and sometimes jealous eye of their boss, Chief Super Gill Templar (Jennifer Black, Local Hero)—Rebus's former flame.

------------------------------------rebus the hibee

Comment

We just watched a new Taggart at the weekend. I think this is the very last series that is to be made.
              I enjoy the old and new ones.

Frost was very hard to beat but Morse was very good too.
              It is just the style of programme that the US makers just cannot replicate.
              Good grief we even watched a new Heartbeat at the weekend too.
              Betty used to hate that show but with all the crap and so-called Reality TV that we are swamped with she actually enjoyed it.

Last night we resorted to watching one of the "Only Fools and Horses" with David Jason (Frost). We did not see many of those shows when they went out the first time and really enjoyed it.
              On a related topic I listen to an internet "radio" called "Offshore Music Radio" which tries to emulate the old Pirate Radio stations....
              http://www.offshoremusicradio.com/

Sandy

Comment

I use to watch Inspector Morse too on PBS,:smile:
                Marie

Comment

Sandy,

Like you I agree with the US inability to replicate quality TV, reality shows go over the top and do very little to stimulate anyone (unless under 5 or over 90 :tongue:) .Recently my wife and I have been watching many of the period dramas produced by the BBC, "Larkrise to Candleford", "Little Dorrit", "Oliver Twist" just to name a few from a wide selection.........another good one (very tongue in cheek) is Campion....an offbeat amateur detective style set in the 1930's ..starring Peter Davison 1989-90 , he also starred in the Last Detective and All Creatures Great & Small.

but to get back to business :laugh2: David Jason" what a great and versatile actor.............here he is with a young (and very beautiful :cool::cool:)
                  Catherine Zeta-Jones :redrose:..............................

in

"The Darling Buds Of May"

Opening credits from the 1991 tv series, "The Darling Buds Of May", starring David Jason, and a young Catherine Zeta Jones

Darling buds of May episode 1 part 1

All the other parts are available on Youtube :cool:

Comment

Another excellent,down to earth,no nonsense UK police drama series.

We are fortunate that it is shown on our local ABC (no commercials) TV channel.

It holds the attention and is one of those stories where you are not glancing at your watch wondering when it will finish.........I'm watching it to-night again:cool:
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Trial & Retribution Sins Of The Father (part 1) other parts are available :smile:
                    DCI Roisin O'Connor and DS David Satchell investigate the apparent murder of Emily Harrogate who is found by her parents at the bottom of the cellar stairs. When the parents and their two younger children returned home the previous evening, they assumed she was in, but did not check. The girl's mother Diedre is a compulsive cleaner and cleaned the house before going to bed. When they found the girl the next morning, the distraught parents moved her to the study. Between the cleaning and moving the body, much of the evidence has been contaminated. The police suspect however that someone she knew killed her and eventually focus on a teen-aged neighbor, Michael Summerby. Det. Chief Supt. Michael Walker meanwhile works to ensure that a dangerous sociopath isn't released on parole. He's also having trouble with his 15-year old son who has become withdrawn and seems to have lost all interest in school. When the boy is arrested, Walker decides to take some time off to help him.

Comment

Originally posted by sandyc View Post
                      Frost was very hard to beat but Morse was very good too.
                      It is just the style of programme that the US makers just cannot replicate.
                      Good grief we even watched a new Heartbeat at the weekend too.
                      Betty used to hate that show but with all the crap and so-called Reality TV that we are swamped with she actually enjoyed it.

Sandy
                      There were some great detective stories in the UK. Also did enjoy the Darling Buds, and fell in love with Catherine Zeta Jones too.

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

Hi Gordon, these are all great shows.
                        Personally I am not too fond of the "period" shows BUT they are very well done...
                        Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by sandyc View Post
                          Hi Gordon, these are all great shows.
                          Personally I am not too fond of the "period" shows BUT they are very well done...
                          Sandy
                          Sandy,

Here is a period piece for you............something different..........

Lark Rise to Candleford
                          Adaptation of Flora Thompson's memoir of her Oxfordshire childhood, set in the small hamlet of Lark Rise and the wealthier neighbouring market town, Candleford, at the end of the 19th Century.
                          Lark Rise to Candleford depicts the last bright flickering of a now-vanished way of life, as Victorian England reaches into the 20th Century.

Rich, funny and emotional, this series follows the relationship of two contrasting communities: Lark Rise, the small hamlet gently holding on to the past and Candleford, the small market town bustling into the future. Seen through the eyes of young Laura, their inhabitants endure many upheavals and struggles as the inevitable change comes; their stories by turn poignant, spirited and uplifting.

Lark Rise to Candleford - Ep 1 Part 1

Lark Rise to Candleford - Ep 1 Part 2

Comment

And how about the British comedies. We always watch 'Allo, 'Allo, Keeping up Appearances, Are You Being Served, and possibly some others.

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

We watch them too and enjoyed them..
                              Marie

Comment

Working...
                              X