Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Does One Deal with infestation of Japanese Beetles!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Does One Deal with infestation of Japanese Beetles!?!

I have worked very hard & long to have somewhat of a garden, although leaning this year more to flowers. I planted borage, catnip, lemon mint, a basil, cornflowers, zinnias, marigolds, some shorter type of cosmos. I did most because they are bird & bee attractors. However, just about 4 days ago, I thought, Oh, wow, my zinnias are blooming! But upon close inspection, they were being skeletonized by Japanese beetles, those black beetles with iridescent backs. I came in & got a small can filled with kerosene, & went to each plant, either knocking the little creeps off, or picking them off, & dropping them into the kero. We'd done that a long time ago, when growing lots of potatoes, with the potato bug. I even found one a few days later eating a cosmos flower! He joined his dead pals in the can. We've also had so much rain, either downpours, or short, scattered showers, so it's hard to get out & cut grass as well. I have been eating (on cheese/turkey sandwiches) a bit of my red lettuce, seed of which was free with order last year. It looks like a reddish oak leaf lettuce. I had some in the sink in water, & then fished it out, to drain on paper towels/towel. My two cats decided they wanted to eat the lettuce, & were more attracted to it than to their "homegrown" catnip!! These are just a few musings on my part, in regard to gardens!! How's everyone else's gardens? Joan

Re: How Does One Deal with infestation of Japanese Beetles!?!

Joan, if you want to try it the natural way, I've got a book here on companion gardening which says that garlic, chrysanthemums and chives will repel Japanese beetles. It also says that 'four o"clocks' will both attract and poison them - I don't actually know what 'four o'clocks' are, some sort of flower, I imagine; I mostly grow vegetables. I haven't tried this, mind you, but that's what the book says. You could try growing these among the affected plants and see if it helps.
    For a short-term chemical solution, Diazinon should do it, otherwise - Pick 'n' stomp!
    The gardening season here I can only call weird. I had daffodils and bluebells in bloom around the house a fortnight ago, and the tobacco plants out the back flowered a month ago - not yet halfway through winter, this normally doesn't happen until September. Makes me wonder what's going to happen in the Spring.

Comment

Boy, you guys down in that hemisphere have such different birds, & also times/ways of gardening. I do have about 6-7 garlics growing, but they're two beds over. The only thing the Japanese beetles went for was the zinnias...whole plant, flowers/leaves, & the cosmos flower. I have seen them (in past) eating white flowers from my lovely Rose of Sharon. The means I used was about the quickest way I've found. I also have marigolds close by. Thanks for input!

Joan

Comment

Hi Joan:

Well, we seem to have our troubles with garden invaders. Last year, I was dealing with one rather fat woodchuck (fat from vegetables). This year, I'm quite exhausted dealing with his family. Been a running battle reseeding and reseeding with the fence reinforced time and time again and is now nothing short of a fortress. Early in the season, I dug a 90ft ditch and sunk metal fencing on three sides of the fence. The problem is the back fence against a hedge. The little varmint was using the branches, even made a depression in the metal wiring, to gain access over the fence. Soooo! I got out my clippers and hacked a 45 angle into the hedge and laid metal wiring attached to the top of the fence as an overhang. Five days now and no nibbles. Do I think I have won?

Comment

Hi, Lizzie...I do believe that perhaps you may stop him, but remember we're the "intruders" in their natural world! I will keep my fingers crossed that you'll outsmart him. I found more Japanese beetles munching on the catnip & basil flowers, but used my kero solution...not there anymore. I have NO outside cats either now, as they followed their "natural" instincts & left! I'm on your side!

Take care, Joan

Comment

Working...
          X