The Northern Highlands in the Nineteenth Century

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Northern Highlands in the Nineteenth Century

I forgot to mention this book. Essentially many years ago I found 2 volumes of this publication but only recently learned that there was a third volume which I'm adding weekly to the site.

Essentially each year the author gives us a brief overview of what has happened in Britain during the year and then he goes on to provide details of what happened locally through his use of the archives of the Inverness Courier Newspaper for that year.

There is much of interest in these archives and through reading them am finding references which lead to me discovering books about a person or area or subject.

For example in the most recent issue 1854 I was able to find a book about the reminiscences of MacLean published in 1852 in which MacLean said that he could go back some 155 years as he remembered stories from his grandparents. I will be making this book available on the site but am seeing if it is in a fit state for ocr'ing and if not will make it available as a pdf file.

The entry I found that led to the discovery of the book is....

A paragraph headed “Old John Maclean’s Snuff-horn” says:—“This relic of the centenarian, John Maclean, whom her Majesty called the Highland historian when she presented him with a liberal donation some years ago, has been handsomely mounted in silver by Mr Mason, jeweller, and an inscription engraved upon it, stating the age of John Maclean, and his services in reviving the traditions of the Highlands, and chronicling circumstances of which
    but for him, we should probably have lost all record.” If this relic still exists the Museum might look after it.

Anyway... you can read this third volume as I get it up and indeed read the other two volumes at
    http://www.electricscotland.com/history/highlands/index.htm

Alastair
Working...
X