Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last drinks in Lakemba......Sydney,Australia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last drinks in Lakemba......Sydney,Australia.

Last drinks in Lakemba: Tim Blair takes a look inside Sydney’s Muslim Land

by: Tim Blair From: The Daily Telegraph August 18, 2014 12:00AM

THE Lakemba Hotel is one of the last Anglo holdouts in Sydney’s otherwise Middle-Eastern south-western suburb. Frankly, the old joint — it opened in 1928 — isn’t putting up much resistance. Most nights the bar is closed by 8.30pm or so, because by then what few customers it attracts are insufficient to cover running costs.
    Still, it’s friendly and hospitable. Staffer Poppy helpfully showed me to my $50-a-night room, which is the only option in Lakemba for anyone seeking short-term rented accommodation.

There are no other hotels or motels. In fact, there are no other rooms besides number 15 in the hotel’s residential wing. All the others are taken by boarders, one of whom has been here for 20 years.

DISENGAGE PARENTS BLAMED FOR ‘ANGRY YOUNG MUSLIM MEN’

WHY MORE AUSSIE COUPLES THINK ISLAM IS ‘BONZA’

GROWING TERRORIST THREAT ON OUR DOORSTEP

THE AUSTRALIAN: PEACE UNDER ISLAM REQUIRES SUBMISSION

And then there are the downsides.

A few weeks ago a large crowd of mostly young men assembled outside the Lakemba Hotel. Waving black flags, the men chanted: “Palestine is Muslim land. The solution is jihad.”

I asked a non-Islamic local about that night. “You should see them when they really go off,” she said. “That was nothing.” Another non-Islamic woman said young men sometimes shouted “sharmuta” at her from their cars. She looked up the word online and discovered it was an Arabic term for prostitute.

Across the road from the hotel is the Islamic Bookstore, which bills itself as “your superstore of Islamic knowledge”. Three books caught my eye. Here’s an extract from Muhammad bin Jamil Zino’s “What a Muslim Should Believe”, a handy Q & A guide to the Koran’s instructions:

“Question 43: Is it allowed to support and love disbelievers? “Answer: No, it is not allowed.”

Read on and view images at................ http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...34eab37217efd4

Re: Last drinks in Lakemba......Sydney,Australia.

Just to be objective here is a rebuttal from the local municipal Mayor.

In Defense of Lakemba - Letter from the Mayor Brian Robson
    Released on 19 August 2014

To the Editor,

I was disappointed and annoyed to read Tim Blair's story (Last drinks in Lakemba - Daily Telegraph 18/08) as it is not the Lakemba that I know.

A more superficial look at the vibrant town centre of Lakemba I have not yet seen.

It was selective reporting at best.

Full text at................ http://www.canterbury.nsw.gov.au/Cou...r-Brian-Robson

Comment

Working...
    X