Auld Biggins of Stirling
    John's Scottish Singalong
    John MacKintosh (New Book)
    Scottish Notes and Queries
    The Kingdom of Fife
    Furth in Field
    Glasgow
    Scottish Loch Scenery
    The New High School of Stirling at Torbrex in 1962 (New complete book)
    Oor Mither Tongue
    Poems of William Dixon Cocker
    Robert Burns Lives!
    Rev. James Gilmour M.A. - Among the Mongols (New complete book)
    The Celtic Magazine

Electric Scotland News
    ----------------------
    Well the good news is that John Henderson is back from his holidays after looking after all his relations that visit him in Cyprus so we're able to bring back the various books he was working on.

-----

I created an account on Facebook this week. As I'm just so busy I've never been that interested in it as I figured it would just add to my work load. However as we'll shortly be adding a Facebook connect link to our community I thought I'd better get familiar with it.

And so after just a few days on the service I seem to have some 110 friends!!!

My initial impressions are that it certainly seems to be a bit hectic in there and so it's been nice to return to our community which seems calm and relaxing in comparison.

It seems we have a fair bit in common as we do have a photo gallery, arcade games and a friends feature. We are also able to add Groups. It does however seem to me that we are better for discussing topics and perhaps not so good at interaction between friends.

I think there is a place for both and perhaps each compliments the other.

-----

I'm still editing away on weird pages on our site. I didn't know there were so many of them. Mind if you find a page with weird fonts do let me know. It seems that they display ok with the IE browser but not with Firefox or Chrome.

-----

I attended the lecture given by Dr Catriona MacDonald at the University of Guelph on Monday. She came over from Glasgow Caledonian University in Scotland. The talk was on the history of Scotland in the 20th century.

Yes in 1999 we got a devolved Government but there was really nothing much to notice. It seems that Scotland did nothing of note in the final half century and only managed to hang onto it's heavy industry through 2 world wars.

It certainly made me think as I can only really go up to the first world war due to copyright restraints. However looking at things it seems we lost our ship building industry whereas Norway and Sweden did rather well with theirs. We lost our last steel plant, our car industry, our coal mining industry. And given the release of secret papers due to time limits expiring we now know Scotland didn't even put up much of a fight to retain Scotland's oil and even appeared to give up some of our territory to England.

We certainly didn't embrace the web and if you talk to just about anyone they all recognise that our business and tourism industries have really not done well at all. As to culture there are no highlights to speak of. It might take another 50 years or so to get a better perspective but as I was driving home to Chatham I couldn't help but think of the phrase... "The best of Scots left Scotland and left the also rans behind".

When it comes to looking out on the world it just seems that Scotland has been left behind somehow and I really don't know what the answer is. Perhaps it's to clear out a lot of people from our organisations and bring in new people. But the only way to make a difference is to bring in bright new people and pay them really good salaries otherwise you'll just get more ordinary people when we need extraordinary people.

-----

I got in touch with my old friend Jim Walters that I haven't heard from in some years. He runs the Caledonian Kitchen company that started up to provide haggis made in America. He used me as one of his beta tasters and he ended up with a very good product.

Anyway... I visited his site this week and was amazed at how he's grown his range of products so placed an order for...

Scottish Haggis Sampler
    Scottish Haggis w/ Highland Beef
    Scottish Haggis w/ Lamb
    Scottish Haggis w/ Sirloin Beef
    Laird's Stew Sampler
    County Antrim Irish Stew w/Beef
    County Cork Irish Stew w/Lamb
    Tavern Stew w/ Beef
    Barbados Rum Cake 26oz can
    Chocolate Bourbon Cake 26oz can
    Irish Whisky Cake 26oz can
    Single Malt Whisky Cake 26oz can
    Allen's Sunshine Diced Rutabagas
    Caledonian Kitchen Coffee Mug

I'm looking forward to tasting all his products. You can visit his site at http://www.caledoniankitchen.com

ABOUT THE STORIES
    -----------------
    Some of the stories in here are just parts of a larger story so do check out the site for the full versions. You can always find the link in our "What's New" section in our site menu and at http://www.electricscotland.com/rss/whatsnew.php

Electric Scotland Community
    ---------------------------
    We continue to grow our membership albeit slowly and now have 135 members.

We added a Pictures Group where if you join you can post up your pictures and be able to discuss them. You can find this Group under the "Community" drop down menu.

When you first go into the Group you'll see an "Add Pictures" icon and it's dead easy to upload as many as you wish from your local computer. After loading them you are presented with a list of them where you can quickly add descriptions and at the end just click on the "save" button.

We also turned off the music in our Chat system as it was a touch annoying. We had a few chats in there recently and we are looking to try and improve the experience by allowing you to quickly see who's online and be able to invite them in.

Also added a new forum for the Knights Templar.

We also tried to implement the Facebook connect feature but that was down on Facebook and we were told they were working on enhancements and it would be back within the next couple of days. So hopefully we can get this working by next week.

Lots of very detailed messages going up and a good discussion on the Afghan war.

Steve has said he'll be working on the community over the weekend so we look forward to seeing what he does with it :-)

THE FLAG IN THE WIND
    --------------------
    This weeks issue is compiled by Jim Lynch.

He has some very interesting articles on Al Megrahi and the BP Gulph Oil Spill and a lot more interesting things to read as always.

You can read his compilation at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Holiday Cottages
    ----------------
    These are wee tourism articles. Got in this week...

Shetland - Explore the majestic charm of Shetland Islands

This can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/travel/holidayndx.htm

The Concise Household Encyclopaedia
    -----------------------------------
    Added this week, Page 400, Durham Cutlet, Durham Pudding, Dust, Dustbin, Duster, Dusting, Dust Sheet, Dustpan, Dutch Auction, Dutch Cheese, Dutch Garden, Page 401, Dutch Garden, Dutchman's Pipe, Dutch Metal, Dutch Oven, Duvetyn, Dwarf Bean, Dwarf Trees, Page 402, Dyeing, Dynamo, Page 403, Dynamo, Dysentery, Dysmenorrhoea, Dyspepsia, Ear. These can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/household/d.htm

This now ends this publication for a while until I can get some time to scan in more pages.

Gairloch in North-West Ross-Shire
    ---------------------------------
    It's Records, Traditions, Inhabitants and Natural History with a Guide to Gairloch and Loch Maree and a Map and Illustrations" by John H. Dixon FSA Scot. published in 1886.

Added this week...

Part III.—Natural History of Gairloch

Chapter II.—Climate and Weather
    Chapter III.—Anecdotes and Notes
    Chapter IV.—Lower Forms of Life
    Chapter V.—Mammals of Gairloch
    Chapter VI.—Birds of Gairloch
    Chapter VII.—Flowering Plants of Gairloch
    Chapter VIII.—Shells of Gairloch, by Rev. John M'Murtrie, M.A.

Here is how Chapter V.—Mammals of Gairloch starts...

THE mammals found in the parish of Gairloch are, or have been, as numerous as in any other part of the kingdom. The following list has been prepared with the assistance of Mr Osgood H. Mackenzie of Inverewe, and is believed to be complete. I have added an account of the Arctic fox trapped on the North Point in January 1878, and of some other captures of the same animal in the Highlands, but of course this cannot be called a native species. Tradition says that the mountains of Gairloch were formerly the haunt of numerous wolves, bears, elk, and reindeer; and there is no doubt these animals were abundant in the Highlands in the old days.

Red-Deer (Cervus ellaphus).—The wild red-deer is abundant on the mountains of Gairloch, and is the subject of the sport of deer-stalking, treated of in Part IV., chap, xviii., where some information is given regarding this animal. Its horns have been found deep in peat bogs, where they had probably lain many centuries, for in one case an antler was found close to the bronze spear head described in Part I., chap, xxi., in a peat bog half-way between Tournaig and Inverewe, and the spear head could not have been in use since remote times. There are few finer spectacles than a herd of red-deer. In severe weather, in winter or early spring, this sight may often fall to the lot of the traveller on the shores of Loch Maree, without leaving the high-road.

You can read the rest of this account at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...rloch/g253.htm

You can read all these chapters at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...loch/g2ndx.htm

The Scottish Mountaineering Club Journal
    ----------------------------------------
    This is the very first volume of this journal which I thought would make interesting reading. We've added more chapters this week...

Ben Screel
    Ben Lui
    Ben Nevis in 1880 and 1889
    Winter Ascents
    Notes and Queries
    Through the Mountains
    Winter Ascents No. III

Here is how the account of "Ben Screel" starts...

By WILLIAM DOUGLAS.

WHEN asked by the Editor to write something for the Journal about Ben Screel, I at first thought that an account of its ascent would have little interest for any one, offering as it does, like many of our best hills, nothing in the way of danger or difficulty in reaching the summit; but as every excursion among our mountains has a distinct and peculiar charm of its own, and as no description of this hill has to my knowledge been previously written, I willingly venture on the task.

It is highly probable that many have never even heard of this mountain; but all who have enjoyed that lovely sail from Oban round the wild and barren point of Ardnamurchan, cannot but be familiar with its well-shaped outline, raising its hoary head to an elevation of over 3,000 feet, on the north side of Loch Hourn There it stands. Many a time has it received our adoration when sailing up the Sound of Sleat; and the desire of making the ascent was certainly not the least of the many inducements which attracted R. T. and myself to the charming district of Glenelg last summer.

August 10th, the day fixed, opened bright and clear, without a cloud o'erhead or a breath of wind to ruffle the polished mirror-like strip of the ocean stretching before us over to the dark shore of Skye opposite which duplicated itself in the reflecting expanse, with "just a trace of silver sand marks where the water meets the land." Such was the choiceness of the day, that it inspired another party, a lady and two gentlemen, with the hill-climbing mania, and we saw them start, accompanied by a ghillie to act as their guide, as we smoked our morning pipe and lazily enjoyed the lovely scene from the hotel door.

About eleven o'clock, half an hour after they had gone, we were on our way along the road that runs southwards from the hotel. Keeping for a mile the edge of the seashore on our right, we turned into Glenbeg, down which flows a small salmon river, a difficult stream to fish, as it is wooded on both sides. Here we got an occasional glimpse of Scour Ouran's silvery peak, a cold bright vision, far beyond the head of the glen.

Forty minutes' walk brought us to the Pictish towers, still standing in almost the same state of preservation as when Pennant sketched them more than a hundred years ago. Having duly inspected those ancient relics of the past, we walked on to Balvraid farm; and soon after the road merged into a mere peat-track about six miles from the hotel, or three from the towers. This we left, picking our way across the river, climbing over a low ridge, and entering a broad valley that opened up to the south, and not till then did we get our first view of Ben Screel. We kept the burn that flows down this valley on our left, but made our way high above it, along one of those delightful hillside tracks partially hidden with heather. This led us to the base of the centre shoulder of the hill, at whose foot runs a little streamlet dashing and foaming over its rocky bed. Tackety boots are good for hill walking, but not for crossing stony burns, as my companion realised when he found himself in a sitting position in the centre of the stream, luckily with no worse consequences than a wetting.

You can read the rest of this account at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ing/chap31.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ring/index.htm

Hector MacKinnon, A Memoir
    --------------------------
    By his wife (Martha Johnston [Adamson] MacKinnon) (1914)

Continued to add chapters

PAPERS AND ADDRESSES

The Law of the Christian Life
    The Christian's growth in Grace
    The Flowing Tide

And this now completes this book.

You can read these chapters at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ckinnonndx.htm

Chronicals of a Country Cobbler
    -------------------------------
    By A Willock (1887)

Adding more chapters to this book...

Chapter III.—The Mysterious Cat
    Chapter IV.—Tam Pearson's Scare
    Chapter V.—Miss M'Snaffle's Blight
    Chapter VI.—The Hameless Waif
    Chapter VII.—Ghaest-Seein' an' its effects
    Chapter VIII.—A cure for love
    Chapter IX.—Sandy Pitlesslie's toothache

You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...bler/index.htm

Book of Scottish Story
    ----------------------
    We've started "The Penny Wedding", Part 1 of a 4 part story.

Here is how the story starts...

If any of our readers have ever seen a Scottish penny-wedding, they will agree with us, we daresay, that it is a very merry affair, and that its mirth and hilarity is not a whit the worse for its being, as it generally is, very homely and unsophisticated. The penny-wedding is not quite so splendid an affair as a ball at Almack’s; but, from all we have heard and read of these aristocratic exhibitions, we for our own parts would have little hesitation about our preference, and what is more, we are quite willing to accept the imputation of having a horrid bad taste.

It is very well known to those who know anything at all of penny-weddings, that, when a farmer’s servant is about to be married—such an occurrence being the usual, or, at least, the most frequent occasion of these festivities—all the neighbouring farmers, with their servants, and sometimes their sons and daughters, are invited to the ceremony; and to those who know this, it is also known that the farmers so invited are in the habit of contributing each something to the general stock of good things provided for the entertainment of the wedding guests,—some sending one thing and some another, till materials are accumulated for a feast, which, both for quantity and quality, would extort praise from Dr Kitchener himself, than whom no man ever knew better what good living was. To all this a little money is added by the parties present, to enable the young couple to plenish their little domicile.

Having given this brief sketch of what is called a penny-wedding, we proceed to say that such a merry doing as this took place, as it had done a thousand times before, in a certain parish (we dare not be more particular) in the south of Scotland, about five and twenty years ago. The parties, —we name them, although it is of no consequence to our story—were Andrew Jardine and Margaret Laird, both servants to a respectable farmer in that part of the country of the name of Harrison, and both very deserving and well-doing persons.

You can read the rest of this story at http://www.electricscotland.com/book.../story126a.htm

The other stories can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/books/story/index.htm

Auld Biggins of Stirling
    ------------------------
    By William Drysdale (1904)

Added Buchlyyie, Blairloqie, Causewayhead, Tullibody Church and Churchyard, Bridge of Teith, Gartincaber Tower, Gartincaber Lime Avenue, Thornhill.

You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...bigginsndx.htm

John's Scottish Singalong
    -------------------------
    John is compiling a list of old Scottish songs where you can read the lyrics and also listen to the song.

This week he added "Mary Morison" which you can listen to at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet...ng/page103.htm

All the other songs can be got to at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet...rson/singalong

John MacKintosh
    ---------------
    A Biography by Geo. W. Crutchley (1921).

This is a new book we're embarking on about the "Toffee King". In actual fact the reason for doing this book was my reading an article saying that there are some 1 million Scots of the current generation that are living in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

While I have done quite a major work on the site about Scots around the world I never thought to do anything on Scots in the rest of the UK. And so while John MacKintosh was born in England he came from Scottish parents and so thought this story would be of interest.

In the Preface the author says...

The author desires to acknowledge with gratitude the willing co-operation of the relatives and intimate friends of the late John Mackintosh in the preparation of this biography. The Rev. J. E. Mackintosh has given effective assistance and has written the opening Chapter, "Early Days." Messrs. H. V. Mackintosh, J. D. V. Mackintosh, W. Patterson, and J. E. Henderson have also rendered invaluable service in the preparation of the business Chapters and other portions of the book.

Mr. Mackintosh left many interesting papers and diaries, which are not only a veritable treasury of suggestive thoughts and homely wisdom, but contain so full an account of his travels for business purposes, that we have given the story of his life, as far as possible, in his own words.

This book has been written to meet the extensive demand that Mr. Mackintosh's experiences should be permanently recorded.

Our desire is to make more widely known the sterling character and unconquerable spirit of a great "Captain of Industry," one who by means of a trivial article of commerce built up a world-wide business. That was a notable achievement, but had it stood alone this biography would never have been written. It is the record of a life of unselfish service, the history of one who loved his fellow-men; and we cherish the hope that it will be an inspiration to others, not only to be "diligent in business," but also "fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."

We have the first few chapters up which can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...kintoshndx.htm

Scottish Notes and Queries
    --------------------------
    This is a periodical started in 1887.

We decided to make some of these issues available for you to read and added another issue this week. These issues can be found at the foot of the page at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...spapers/notes/

The Kingdom of Fife
    -------------------
    Its Ballads and Legends by Robert Boucher, Jun (1899)

This week we added another chapter called "James the Fifth's Papingo" which can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/fife/

Furth in Field
    --------------
    A volume of essays on the Life, Language and Literature of Old Scotland by Hugh Haliburton (1894)

We have added the final chapter of this book "Burns, the Poet of the Country". And this completes this book.

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/furth/

Glasgow
    -------
    By the British Medical Association (1922)

We've added another chapter to this book, "Glasgow's Municipal Servicer" by James Willock.

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...glasgowndx.htm

Scottish Loch Scenery
    ---------------------
    From drawings by A F Lydon with descriptive notes by Thomas A Croal (1882)

This week we added "Stonebyres Fall" which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/pictures/lochs08.htm

The other entries can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/pictures/lochs.htm

The New High School of Stirling at Torbrex in 1962
    --------------------------------------------------
    John Henderson got in contact and said...

A friend arrived yesterday and loaned me a copy of the illustrated historic book ‘From Castle Rock To Torbrex’ (1962) [No Copyright] … which I had last seen when it was issued free to all pupils, …. and staff [including me!] of The New High School of Stirling at Torbrex in 1962.

I have worked almost non-stop on it since receipt, and attach the outcomes...

And so thanks for this John and you can read it at http://www.electricscotland.com/education/torbrex.htm

Oor Mither Tongue
    -----------------
    An Anthology of Scots Vernacular Verse by Ninian Macwhannell (1938)

We have another poet up for you, Lewis Spence, which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ther/index.htm

Poems of William Dixon Cocker
    -----------------------------
    We've been adding a few pages from this book each week and have another 4 pages which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../cocker_wd.htm

Robert Burns Lives!
    -------------------
    By Frank Shaw

Robert Burns has always been a good topic to write about as thousands of people can attest to having done so in the form of books or articles, not to mention the tons of annual speeches during Burns Night Suppers each January. Lately there has been much interest in Burns and slavery. A presentation entitled “Robert Burns and Slavery: The Dumfries and Galloway Context” was presented in the spring of 2009 at the University of South Carolina by Lizanne Henderson of the University of Glasgow Dumfries Campus. In the fascinating book, Fickle Man, edited by Johnny Rodger and Gerry Carruthers (see review on Robert Burns Lives! at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...ns_lives51.htm), there is an excellent chapter on Burns and slavery by Carruthers. Also on Robert Burns Lives! (http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...ns_lives55.htm) is an additional piece by Carruthers on the subject. Others I am aware of having written on the topic include noted Burns professors Corey Andrews and Carol McGuirk.

Early in his young life Burns had contemplated fleeing Scotland for the islands and working for a slave-operated plantation. Can’t imagine him being part of an operation like that but a desperate man will sometimes contemplate doing things he never would have under normal circumstances. Even though Burns booked passage for his trip on several boats, I do not believe his heart was in it and the ships left without him. Publishing Poems, Chiefly in the Scottish Dialect had a lot to do with his decision to remain in Scotland because, for the first time, he had money in his pocket. For a man in his position, it was a quite a lot of money. Jamaica and the West Indies lost out on Burns and the world gained one of its better poets “for a’that”!

Below is an article by one of our favorite contributors, Clark McGinn. It is intriguing and does not lack proper documentation. Clark is one of the best two or three speakers on the Burns circuit worldwide and a Burns scholar if there ever was one! I would be glad to have articles on this topic by others to share with our readers, so please send them for inclusion on Robert Burns Lives! or simply share your thoughts on Burns and slavery with us through the email address above. (FRS: 7.22.10)

You can read this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...ns_lives92.htm

The rest of Franks articles can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...rank/burns.htm

Rev. James Gilmour M.A. - Among the Mongols
    -------------------------------------------
    I've had this book in my possesion for some 12 years. I always wanted to make it available on the site but the font was such that it was impossible to ocr it in as there were just so many errors.

I came across a mention of it the other day which made me look again at this book. I note that the Internet archive now have a copy of it so what I've done is ocr'd in the first chapter of his growing up in Scotland, going to school and university and then setting out to go to China. I have then added a link to where you can download the book in pdf format.

You can see this at http://www.electricscotland.com/bible/james_gilmour.htm

Dorric Poems
    ------------
    By John Henderson

Got in a new poem from John, "The Unforgettable Scottish School of Physical Education, 1958-61" which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/doggerel363.htm

You can read other of Johns poems and stories at http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/henderson

Celtic Magazine
    ===============
    I've been working through old issues of the Celtic Magazine to extract articles of interest from them to put up on the site. Here is what I've extracted this week from the last few issues...

General Sir Herbert MacPherson V.C., K.C.B., K.S.I.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I found this biography in Volume 8 of the Celtic Magazine and pulled out the various sections to create a single account which we put into a pdf document. You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...pherson_vc.pdf

"Peermen" and their relations
    -----------------------------
    An article about lighting in the old days which can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...es/peermen.htm

Major John MacDonald
    --------------------
    This is a very interesting account of a soldier raising through the ranks to Major which can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist..._macdonald.htm

Adventures of Donald MacLeod
    ----------------------------
    This is a pdf file of a man who spent over 40 years in the army and at the age of 103 was still living which can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ld_macleod.pdf

Scottish Land League of America
    -------------------------------
    From volume 10 of the Celtic Magazine (pdf) which can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ue_america.pdf

And that's it for now and hope you all have a good weekend :-)

Alastair
    http://www.electricscotland.com
Working...
X