Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniel McMillin born abt 1768 in Rockbridge County Virginia

Hello!

I'm having problems getting past Daniel McMillin born abt 1768 in Augusta/Botetourt counties, which later became Rockbridge County Virginia. Daniel married Eleanor Ferguson on 5 or 6 Aug 1795. Daniel died in 28 Mar 1836 in Fountain Co Indiana.

Daniel and Family moved to "Shawnee township from Darke county Ohio, about 1830. He was a prominent citizen and built the first mill of any consequence on the Shawnee. The first bore the name of its original proprietor, and for many years recently has been know as the (Nave Mill), but its name has still more recently been changed to Wheatland. Mr. McMillin was one of the commissioners of Fountain county in his time." [Extracted from a township article - Beckwith, H.W. Fountain County, Indiana History (Shawnee Township) Chicago: HH Hill, pg. 371.]

I know little else about Daniel and Eleanor, and hitting a block as to parents and siblings. I know others have had the same problem as I have, so any additional information or hints would indeed be very welcome!

My e-mail is: mike.palmieri@icloud.com

Thank you!
    Mike
    (birth name McMillin)

Re: Daniel McMillin born abt 1768 in Rockbridge County Virginia

I'd suggest trying our site search engine to see what it might find. I did a search for "mcmillan" and it found 401 results.

http://www.electricscotland.com/search.htm

Alastair

Comment

I was going to comment that I've never seen McMillan spelled like that before.

Elda

Comment

Actually the default is always Mac but it is often truncated to Mc or even M' Elda.

Alastair

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
          Actually the default is always Mac but it is often truncated to Mc or even M' Elda.

Alastair
          I was thinking that Elda meant "Millin"...
          Sandy

Comment

Yes, I did Sandy.

Elda

Comment

Thank you for your reply Alastair. I did a search and spent hours reading, which isn't a bad thing as it is all interesting for sure! I've also spent a lot of time looking In county records online, and seem to come up empty there as well. I'm sure the answer is out there someplace. This one may be a tough one to figure out. 😀

Comment

HI, I thought I'd give you some information in regard to finding your "lost" relatives. I joined recently MyHeritage.com, & I am going really well, both on finding people, & posting onto a family tree. However, you'll need to pay for that one. You might also try Family Search.org, which is the Mormon library of all genealogy records, which is Free. (based in Salt Lake City) Google either, & I think you will be successful in finding your ancestor. Keep on, keeping on! Joan

Comment

There are name records in a variety of publications. The Scots-Irish Society records do publish names of their members. I know some of the agricultural records list names of farming families, etc.

That's why I usually recommend using our site search engine as that also indexes many of our pdf files. Although I focus on Scots on the site I have loads of information on Scots all over the world.

Alastair

Comment

Hi, There's a possibility that perhaps your ancestor's records aren't in Virginia counties, as if you remember your history, part of Virginia broke off, & became West Virginia. Not sure IF that helps or not...& I'm still going good on my ancestors, some of whom came from VA., varied other states, countries. You might try MyHeritage.com. Lots of help. Good luck, Joan

HI, Palmieri...I have found your ancestor. You need to look into Virginia Marriages, 1785-1940,
                    Last edited by FriedaKateM; 4 June 2015, 17:44.

Comment

Sorry for that, I'm tired from working all day on genealogy. Use this spelling on your Daniel & Eleanor....i.e. Elenor Ferguson & Daniel Mcmillon. Use his birth date 1768, & Rockbridge Co., Virginia. They were married on Aug 5, 1795. Also put in his date of death: 28 Mar 1836. At perhaps Fountain City, Indiana. Use many different entries if you have to. Most folks could not spell in those days. Hope you'll apply these hints, as if you do, you'll be successful. So long, Joan
                      Last edited by FriedaKateM; 4 June 2015, 17:53. Reason: addendum

Comment

HI, Palmieri....Have been onto Fountain County, Indiana sites, & found nothing. On sites such as Ancestry.com, and/or MyHeritage.com , you will find that you can "try" the site for about 14 days. I'd suggest that you do that, & then say you're not interested after you use the site records, etc. I've done some peeking around, but other than their marriage, that's all I found. Joan

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I sincerely appreciate it! I have been digging for a year now, and found very little, but that's ok. I think perhaps a DNA test might provide some help, or at least another rabbit trail to venture down. Best wishes everybody!

Comment

Working...
                          X