Book list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book list

Alastair, here is a list of the books I have here. A lot of them you have already uploaded, so this what remains (in no particular order):

Title: DEESIDE

Painted by William Smith Jr.
    Described by Robert Anderson

Publisher: Adam & Charles Black

(This is a sort of a companion volume to BONNIE SCOTLAND, although I don't think the watercolours are as well done - just my opinion.)

Title: THE PEASANT POETS OF SCOTLAND
    and
    MUSINGS UNDER THE BEECHES

By Henry Shanks (The Blind Poet of the Deans}

Publisher: L. Gilbertson, Bathgate
    1881 (One of Scotland's minor poets, but many of his poems are of good quality - I would say as good as Hogg anyway.)

Title: OLD GLASGOW

By Andrew Macgeorge

Publisher: Blackie & Son

Title: THE COMPANY OF SCOTLAND
    Trading to Africa and the Indies

By George Pratt Insh

Publisher: Charles Scribner's & Sons
    1932 (Interesting fold-out maps and charts in this one, and lots of detail about the Darien scheme.)

Title: THE JACOBITE RISING OF 1715

By John Baynes

Publisher: Cassell

(I also have a biography of BPC, but I think there's enough about him on the web already.)

Title: SCOTTISH PAGEANTRY

By Albert Mackie

Publisher: Hutchinson

Title: SHETLAND AND THE SHETLANDERS

By W. P. Livingstone

Publisher: Thomas Nelson & Sons Ltd.

Title: IN SEARCH OF SCOTLAND

By H. V. Morton

Publisher: Methuen & Co. Ltd

1931 (I really enjoyed this one - lots of entertaining anecdotes and interesting history.)

Title: A BOOK OF SCOTLAND

By H. L. Findlay

Publisher: Collins
    Undated - just a compilation of poems and extracts.

Title: NEW WAYS THROUGH THE GLENS

By A. R. D Haldane

Publisher: Thomas Nelson & Sons Ltd
    1962 (A history of road-building in the Highlands.)

Title: THE STEEL BONNETS
    The story of the Anglo-Scottish Border Reivers

By George MacDonald Fraser

Publisher: Pan Books Ltd

Title: THE FOLKLORE OF THE SCOTTISH HIGHLANDS

By Anne Ross

Publisher: B. T. Batsford Ltd
    1976 (Lots of spooky stuff in this one!)

Title: THE WORKS OF ROBERT BURNS VOLUME 111

By Gilbert Burns

Publisher: W. Creech
    1803 (Part of a four volume set; I don't know if Dad ever had the other three. All of these poems are already uploaded, but the appendix has two letters written by Gilbert about his brother which I hadn't seen before.)

Title: THE LIFE AND WORKS OF ROBERT BURNS VOLUME 111

By Robert Chambers

Publisher: William and Robert Chambers
    Undated, but I would judge the latter part of the 19th century. As before, all the interest is in the appendices - absolutely fascinating stuff, including the exact measurements of Burn's skull after exhumation and an analysis of it by a phrenologist.

Title: THE COMPLETE POETICAL WORKS OF SIR WALTER SCOTT

No author given.

Publisher: Houghton Mifflen Company
    1912 (I note that you have MINSTRELSY OF THE SCOTTISH BORDERS already uploaded - this book contains Scott's earliest poems and it's interesting to compare these with his mature work.)

And that's about it, except for some books I can't find - I think they may have been packed up with my other books and sent on to the place I am moving to. I'll post a list later when I find them. Hope I haven't duplicated anything.
    After more research, I find that some of these books are available on the internet for reading online or as a pdf download; if you let me know which ones are of interest I will post you the link (where available.)

-Regards, John.

Re: Book list

Many thanks for this list John.

There are a number of books which look interesting but given the publishing date we would be unable to place them on the site. As a general guide we can't put up books that are under 75 years old. In the UK that also extends to 75 years from the author's death.

The other aspect of books is that we don't put up everything that is available. The idea of the site was to get folk started in developing an interest in history so if we have a book up on a place that doesn't mean we'd put up another book on the same place unless it offered in our opinion especially good new information.

I'm currently working on the book "Deeside Tales" Or Men and Manners On Highland Deeside since 1745 by John Grant Michie (1908)

I do look for histories of places in Scotland that we don't have anything on. I also look for information on Scots around the world and especially on Scots in Africa, Middle East, South America and Asia (which includes Australia and New Zealand) as we have very little on Scots in these areas. I will say there are a few more recent books on Scots in these countries but the author's won't let me use their information.

We do have huge resources on poetry on the site... many volumes on poems and poets and Scottish songs.

I do also look for any topics that we haven't covered or a best only lightly. Like I would like to cover the day to day running of a Highland Croft but haven't yet found anything suitable. I'd also life to find a book about crafts in Scotland but that also is difficult to find although have found some articles on particular crafts over the years.

I am finding these days that I spot a book which looks good for the site only to discover I already have it up <grin>.

The Morton book is copyright so while I do have copies of both his books I can't put them on the site sad to say.

The Deeside Book looks interesting and looks like we could use that give the publication date. I had a quick look for it in the Internet Archive but couldn't find it.

Thanks for the list... most interesting.

Alastair

Comment

Understood, Alastair - after much hunting about online I can't find the Deeside book available anywhere as a download; however given the date of publication there shouldn't be any copyright problems. All I can find is this entry in Wikipedia which will at least give you the table of contents:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deeside_(book)

If you think this book would add any value to the ES website I would be happy to send the book itself to you to make whatever use of it you think fit - if so you could e-mail me an address to post it to.
      - John.

Comment

Thanks for the offer John but I'll pass on that. However as Deeside is part of Aberdeenshire I do have a book at my disposal here which covers that area so will now see about getting that up on the site. I am also working on that other Deeside book so that will also contribute some information as well.

I do also have some information up on parts of Deeside like Lochnagar and Balmoral.

Bu thanks again for the offer.

Alastair

Comment

Hi John... I have now found a copy of SHETLAND AND THE SHETLANDERS and am posting that onto the site today and you'll find a link to it at the foot of the page at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/shetland/

Alastair

Comment

Working...
          X