Weir's Scotland - Tom's Favourites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weir's Scotland - Tom's Favourites

Ranald sent me in a link to this video on YouTube and thought I'd share it with you.

With over 50 years of travel around Scotland, Weir shows us some of his favourite parts of the country looking at their best. These selections take us from the North East to South East as he guides us through the beautiful landscapes rich in history and culture and talks to the local people about how these areas have changed. Starting in the stunning Glen Affric, moving to Moidart, the Ballochbuie forest, the island of Mingulay and Loch Tayside amongst others.

Alastair

Re: Weir's Scotland - Tom's Favourites

Tom Weir At 70

A special interview with one of Scotland's leading TV personalities, Tom Weir, to celebrate 10 years of Weir's Way and his 70th birthday. Now a leading author, President of the Scottish Mountaineering Club, he has an MBE and was Scottish TV Personality of the year 1978. This intimate interview reveals the real Weir and what brought a wee boy from the Springburn tenements to have such a passion for the mountains and beautiful scenery of Scotland.

Alastair

Comment

Thank you Alastair.

When either of these videos end, there are more of Tom's journeys, to be activated from the final screen.

Ranald
      Last edited by Ranald; 29 December 2014, 17:58.

Comment

Hi, all...Based on (I think) something reported here on ES, I bought a DVD of Tom Weir wandering around sites in the wilderness of Scotland. Not sure IF this is the "why", Ranald, for linking to some of his videos, but noted on reading Scot news, there'd been posted a picture of his 94 year old wife, with a sculpture of Tom. ( I think she looks like him a lot, as well!!) I have really enjoyed his videos, & also the manner in which he leapt about over hills & mountains. When I was there in Scotland w/ family, we went to Loch Affric, as my mother had purchased an oil painting of the same. Lovely area!!! Luckily, although I'm "older" now, my memory is still strong of that time.

Thanks, Joan

Comment

Hi Joan, On the es site you may have seen mention of Tom Weir in the "Famous Scots" section.

On the current es site, it can be found on the single line menu, under 'History' - 'Famous Scots'.

From that page, select 'W' and scroll down for 'Tom Weir'. There is a lot to see.

I had planned to go to the 'statue' day, but did not manage. With the numbers there I would not have been missed.

I am still in touch with his widow Rhona, and hope to pay her a visit in the not too distant future.

Ranald

Comment

Working...
          X