Flower of Scotland "won't be made national anthem." by Brian Ferguson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flower of Scotland "won't be made national anthem." by Brian Ferguson

THE Scottish Government has dashed hopes of “Flower of Scotland” being officially recognised as the country’s national anthem.

The Scotsman has learned that ministers have ruled out instigating a single anthem - despite Scottish football supporters voting narrowly for such a move last week.

Although nearly 56 per cent of those who took part in a Scottish Football Association poll were in favour of the move, 60 per cent of Scotland Supporters Club members were against.

The government believes there is not enough wider public support for Flower of Scotland, which is inspired by the Battle of Bannockburn, to become an official anthem.

It is content to let the Corries song, which has played before international rugby and football matches for the last two decades, be used for sporting occasions, but is not willing to give it official status at the “exclusion of all others.”

More than 35,000 supporters took part in the SFA’s survey, which was conducted through its supporters club and its social media channels.

It was launched weeks after MSPs were petitioned to give Flower of Scotland, which was writted by the late Roy Williamson in 1965, official anthem status.

The second most popular option with the Tartan Army was Dougie MacLean’s iconic “homecoming” song Caledonia, which has been covered by the likes of Frankie Miller, Paolo Nutini, Amy Macdonald and Ronan Keating. The SFA said its survey had also thrown up strong support for alternatives like Scotland the Brave, which used to be played before international matches at Hampden, and terracing favourite I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) by the Proclaimers.

And the sports body said its survey had revealed there was “clearly an appetite” among a section of the supporters of the national team for a brand new anthem.

A spokeswoman for the government said: “A national anthem is an important part of a nation’s culture and heritage. Any choice should have wide public support.

“It is clear that different songs or anthems are enthusiastically adopted at different sporting occasions, but that is not the same as a country or a nation determining to have a single designated song or anthem to the exclusion of all others.

“The government currently has no plans to designate a national anthem and any such move would require wider political support.”

This was posted today in The Scotsman. Joan

Re: Flower of Scotland "won't be made national anthem." by Brian Ferguson

Thank goodness that we will not be saddled with the dirge that is "Flower of Scotland" as the National Anthem. When one hears something like the Welsh Anthem being belted out it is easy to see that there must be something better than a mournful remembrance of a long ago battle.
    That is not to say that I used to sing it with passion when it was first written and recorded by The Corries.
    Following the divisive referendum experience we need something to unite us and be uplifting.
    Surely someone can write a new Anthem.
    Sandy

Comment

I agree - "Flower of Scotland" may be a stirring patriotic song, but it's not suitable as an anthem - the tempo alone would make audiences wilt. "Scotland the Brave at least has some life in it.
      However, I think the Scots could do a lot worse for an anthem than the song below - a rousing number sung by a fine tenor which has always been one of my favourites.

(I suppose the acid test would be how it sounds on the pipes; I don't know of any bagpipe version of this song.)

Comment

I am not familiar with the singer but have heard several different versions of this song. I agree that it is a lot more uplifting than the Corries' song. Not a bad suggestion at all~~

Comment

It mentions Ireland in the song so probably not a good idea for an anthem.

I think we should have a competition to try and find the best one.... mind you that's not to say we should pick the winner! But we might nominate a penal of all ages and backgrounds to help select the winner from say the top 10 entries.

Alastair

Comment

You're right, Alastair - not only does the song mention Ireland, but also (Shock! Horror!) England.
            Perhaps a new song would be best after all (as long as it's not composed by some punk rocker.) There are attempts at Scottish anthems floating about on You Tube, most of them to my mind quite dismal and uninspired. An anthem should have clout and punch (what matter if it's a wee bit jingoistic? Most of them are.) In today's climate you need to show that you are a force to be reckoned with, and an anthem represents a country to the world and should underpin the character of the nation.
            - John.

Comment

Given that it is an anthem then the Scottish Parliament in consultation could come up with some guidelines on what we'd like to see in an anthem and then as I say get a panel of all ages and intelligence to vote on a winner. AN anthem should be one for everyone both young and old.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
              X