Do we need all those extras?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we need all those extras?

I've been looking at some of those car adverts and I can't help but think a lot f the new features they add can be dangerous.

I mean by this things like adding twitter and facebook but also all the other extras they put in. When you drive you should be aware of your surroundings and keep your eyes on the road but it seems to me that many of these extras mean you have to take your eyes of the road to use them.

The Kia I purchased recently has loads of extras and it took me some time to figure out what they all did. I even felt that I needed a guided tour to figure them all out. I know when I first took it onto the highway it took me ages to figure out how to switch on the cruise control and I kept looking for the appropriate button to press and so taking my eyes of the road.

I then wanted to play a CD and again it took me ages to actually find out how to open it to insert a CD again taking my eyes of the road to try and find the button.

I know what I want in a car... comfort, cruise control, GPS, radio and cd player, heated front and back windows, car seat heating for the winter air conditioning for the summer and clear instrumentation. As most of my driving is in town with the odd longer trip it doesn't really matter how powerful the car is so in many ways almost all cars offer those features. I do prefer a mid size car but other than that I only consider good build quality and good warranty.

The Buick I had had pretty well all these things but the build quality was crap and all problems cost a small fortune to fix. I'd certainly never want another Buick that's for sure.

Alastair

Re: Do we need all those extras?

Alastair,

I had a little laugh when you mentioned the Buick, back in the late '50's and very early '60's I had [at separate times] 1946 model Buicks, The build quality in those days was rather good, I always remember the old Buick slogan ,,,,,,,,,, "When a Better Car is Built...Buick Will build It"

Of course Packard [remember them] had as theirs........ "Ask the Man Who Owns One".

I'm quite happy with my current vehicle [owned since 2004] , an 2001 Toyota Hilux Extra Cab, 5 speed manual,4 seats [rear just for children, adults for short trips]
    air conditioning and window tint, 2.7ltr, very comfortable to drive, high seating position and goes from A to B in the same time as any other car. I forgot, it does have a radio with CD player [player is never used.]

Now here is my first Buick back in 1959...................

Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-09-23_1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	23599

Gordon.
    Last edited by 1938 Observer; 21 February 2015, 23:04. Reason: add text

Comment

Re: Do we need all those extras?

I know what you mean Alastair. A car, to me, is just a machine to get me where I want to go. Friends of mine who are a couple ages with me bought this fancy car which has DVD players built into the back of the driver & passenger seats. Beats me why!!! Even their grandchildren are grown up now. What is the point?

Elda

Comment

Working...
      X