Scotland's History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland's History

With no TV feed here into the house in Ontario I have been resorting to watching videos from many sources. I have rediscovered a BBC series with Neil Oliver about Scotland's history and have been really enjoying watching some episodes that I must have missed.
    I am not sure if this site can be viewed outside Canada but if it can it contains many many videos that are worth watching.
    The site is TVO.ORG and then just click on the 'video' button and scroll through the trove that is there.

Sandy

Re: Scotland's History

Sandy,

The Neil Oliver series .."History of Scotland" is quite entertaining [we have the DVD set], another one is [3 discs] "Ancient Scotland",

I also enjoy Simon Schama, he produced the series "A History of Britain" I have the books and the DVD's

Here is a sample of Simom Schama......................

Gordon.
    Last edited by 1938 Observer; 22 February 2015, 23:45. Reason: text

Comment

Sandy,

Here is another...................from Neil Oliver

.Bannockburn700th- quest for Bannockburn- 2014 .

Comment

I bought the boxed DVD set of Oliver's "A History of Scotland" a few years ago and it is indeed excellent viewing - I often get it out to watch again and recommend it very highly.
        - John.

Comment

Hi Sandy, TVO does not work for the UK..... it looks like a good site.

Ranald

Comment

Hi Gordon, I have seen those series in the UK. It`s just that I am over the pond just now so have been searching for some intelligent`TV while here.

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by Ranald View Post
              Hi Sandy, TVO does not work for the UK..... it looks like a good site.

Ranald
              Hi Ranald, I suspected that. That is a shame.
              Sandy

Comment

I have to say I've added lot of YouTube videos to the site but over time I've discovered they can be deleted for a variety of reasons. I did actually post up a page at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...eo_history.htm and now the History of Scotland before Scotland (2 parts) is still ok but the actual history of Scotland now only shows the first 2 part of that series.

Should a video not be available then it is worth doing a search on YouTube as it can become available again but at a different url.

Alastair

Comment

I also have the boxed set and it occasionally reruns on public television here in British Columbia. Oliver is a fine showman, and I also enjoy his "Coast" series now on its second round of the Isles and mainland, and his various specials like the Quest for Bannockburn. He and a colleague had an early archeological show that was fascinating and one more recent on the Age of Stonehenge, where the excavations on the northern islands put a whole new perspective on pre-history. The hidebound academics snort at these fellows, but they do bring a wealth of information to the public in an easily accessible format and I sincerely appreciate them.

Comment

I also tried to link to TVO.org. However a screen came up saying in effect, that I cannot watch due to "rights".

Joan

Comment

Originally posted by FriedaKateM View Post
                      I also tried to link to TVO.org. However a screen came up saying in effect, that I cannot watch due to "rights".

Joan
                      Hi Joan, it means that you cannot watch it from outside Ontario.
                      Sorry.
                      Sandy

Comment

Working...
                      X