Amazon Kindle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon Kindle

Kindle books are now outselling Amazon's hardcover books in the US.

The company announced Monday that it has sold 143 Kindle books per 100 hardcover books over the last three months (it has sold 180 Kindle books per 100hardcovers over the last month), and that's including the sales of hardcover books where there is no Kindle edition.

Alastair

Re: Amazon Kindle

I hadn't seen this post previously, Alastair. My love is for the actual feel of books in my hand, to turn the pages, to put a bookmark into the book, to see how far I will be able to read this book. Even like to have a book on the table next to my bed, & have always calmed myself prior to sleep, with that book. I have a cousin whose taste in books tends to run to bestsellers, & her kids got her a Kindle, but my taste is for the meatier, more literate books that might have been around for a time. One of the books I last read, was Selected Letters of Phillip Larkin, which runs to about 800 pages in paperback. Quite a hefty one, but in the main, extremely enjoyable. Gives you a glimpse into the life of a very notorious poet, although he does tend to be complaintive, & died fairly early. I liked reading about all the other writers & poets that this man knew during his lifetime. I vote for the real book, not the kindle kind. Joan

Comment

Actually I've found the Kindle to be very good. Like I often read in bed and with the tight bindings of books these days you do need to put pressure on the book to make the inside edges readable. This can over time break the spine. On the Kindle you don't have that problem. Also you can easily bookmark your last read page. When you stop reading you just click the home button and then switch off. When you next load the book it goes right to where you left of.

Also when I went to Vancouver recently I lost my reading glasses so I wouldn't have been able to read the book but with the Kindle I just selected a larger font size and was able to read no problem. It's also much lighter than an actual book and the screen is very readable. I have around 70 books in it so far.

I have also found that Kindle editions are often cheaper than the actual paperback.

Alastair

Comment

I suppose these type of items are quite convenient at certain times, but I still think there is nothing more satisfying than reading/holding a well written and illustrated book, not to mention the satisfaction of surveying a well stocked bookcase filled with the subjects of personal choice and shelved so that any favourite may be found in its correct place (even in the dark).
        I also like the look/touch and smell of the large glossy magazines, such as Scots [journal of heritage society], also the various nature and heritage magazines, conviently place on a coffee table so they may be enjoyed instantly and the pages flipped over casually while one enjoys a relaxing beverage.:smile::cool:

Comment

I like books as well and have a lot of them. Certainly the iPad might give you a decent magazine as the Kindle is just a mono device. At the end of the day most books are just black and white pages so the Kindle is good for those.

Comment

This is just an aside...or an addendum to the previous discussion. I have a lot of books, approximately 9 bookcases! And they're piled up sort of, kind of!!! However, I love my books. And by putting in book ads in a newspaper Antique Week, Central edition, I am selling a few of my books, thereby trickling in some spending money. This is something I planned/or dreamed of for many years, so am fulfilling my ideas. I also like the coloration & overall ambience in my home, due to the books, & my love for them. Joan

Comment

Working...
            X