Dumbartonshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumbartonshire

I got sent in a copy of the book "Dumbartonshire" which I've added to our Dunbarton page. I was also grateful for the explanation on the spelling as that's always confused me. duMbartonshire is how the country is spelled whereas DuNbarton is how the town is spelled.

You can read the book at the foot of the page at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/dumbarton/ where I've also added a short video of an arial view of Dumbarton castle.

Alastair

Re: Dumbartonshire

Al, the county is DuNbartonshire and the town id DuMbarton, nowadays at least.
    Sandy (in East Dunbartonshire!)

Comment

Thanks Sandy... any chance of some pictures of Dumbarton seeing as you are there?

Alastair

Comment

I am not in Dumbarton Al. That is in West DuNbartonshire~~
        I shall look for some shots of this area that I have taken over the years.

Sandy

Comment

Here is a link for the castle....

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...mbartoncastle/

Also, anyone with Google Earth, can put 'Dumbarton Castle' in the search box, and there are quite a few photos.

Ranald

Comment

Originally posted by sandyc View Post
            Al, the county is DuNbartonshire and the town id DuMbarton, nowadays at least.
            Sandy (in East Dunbartonshire!)
            I was going to query that too because I always thought that was they way they were spelled.

Elda

Comment

I have to agree with both Sandy and Elda.

dmf (currently sitting in West Dunbartonshire Council offices, looking at Dumbarton Castle)

Comment

Did not realise that you can actually see the castle from there.~
                Sandy

Comment

You are obviously thinking about Garshake HQ but there are other Council offices in the area from which it gives a view of the castle or you can just stand in Morrison's car park and stare!!!!

dmf

Comment

Yes John, I was thinking about Garshake. Sandy

Comment

Working...
                    X