Sites were down for around 24 hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sites were down for around 24 hours

On Friday into Saturday our sites and email were down. i moaned about our Telco Comcast in this weeks newsletter and was right in doing so. While the transfer of the lines went through ok we were not getting the speed we contracted for. As a result a tech came out on Friday morning our time and by the time he left we'd lost all Internet connections and were dead in the water. Despite many calls and promises it took to Saturday morning before someone came out to fix the issue. The most important thing was to get back up but the speed of access is very poor but they have promised to address the speed issue on Monday so fingers crossed.

We even got through to a Supervisor who sent our a tech with a new modem. The tech phoned to say he was on his way and would be with us in around half an hour. When an hour went by we phoned to find out what had happened and were told the Supervisor had cancelled the visit but were unable to tell us why or if anything else had been arranged. That is the kind of service where some discipline action should be taken by the company in my opinion.

Just to illustrate how bad they are... I had phoned on the Thursday to their tech folk and was told they can offer at least 50 down and 10 up. I said no you can't because a tech at our site said it wasn't available. I was told this was rubbish and they'd do it themselves so after around 10 minutes they told me they'd fixed it and if I went to the comcast broadband speed test utility I would see the speed gradually increasing and that after a few hours it would report the full 50/10. Well needless to say we say no movement at all.

It appears the people in the office, tech and sales, regularly sell speeds that are simply not available and this is down to the hardware that is onsite and in the area. The techs that visit us all say they wish they'd get their act together and stop selling speeds that are impossible to deliver with the current hardware.

On Monday we are meant to be getting a speed of 27/7 which apparently is the best they can do with the current hardware so hopefully they'll come through on that.

Anyway... sorry about not being available but wasn't our fault although perhaps it was our fault my selecting Comcast to supply us with bandwidth.

Alastair

Re: Sites were down for around 24 hours

Well we've had a lot more problems but think we're almost back to where we should be. The only remaining problem is access to our electricscotland.com web site and we're hoping to resolve that shortly. We've also had a new underground cable installed on the property which will handle the increased bandwidth when it becomes available in we think 2 months time. They seem to have managed to increase our current bandwidth and it does look like that is working because this community was flying when I came in to post this message.

Do let me know if you have problems accessing the electricscotland.com web site and indeed any problems you have accessing any of our sites.

Alastair

Comment

Well Alastair, since Friday I was lucky to even get onto the site, but most of the links just timed out.

It was the same until just over 2 hours ago, when everything (well the 30 odd links I tried) worked.

Even the forums worked, so I'll have to see if this messages is saved in the proper manner.

You have had quite a worrying time, so we thank you and Steve, for the hard work and worry.

Ranald

ps - YES it saved this message correctly

Comment

It seems faster responding too.

Hugh

Comment

Very fast this morning...
          Sandy

Comment

Very fast this morning...
            Sandy
            Spoke too soon. Posting this is taking ages...

Comment

Sandy, it is the 'slow save' that gives the second message.

I have found that selecting 'Save' then waiting until it actually shows the new message, before hitting any key.

Saving this message was immediate, which was not the case when saving messages yesterday.

I wonder what will be the case when saving this edited message ?

Ranald
              Last edited by Ranald; 20 May 2015, 07:51. Reason: added a line

Comment

The sites are faster but we noted that we were being hammered bandwidth wise by Amazon. Ezoic uses the Amazon cloud to serve up the templates that display our content to you.

Behind the scenes we are working on a new layout for the site and once we're happy with that we'll do a re-launch of our site and will no longer use Ezoic which should speed things up a lot. If you remember we turned to Ezoic because we were hacked and were unable to prevent the hacker from coming in so this was our only way around the issue.

I might add that when it comes to bandwidth it's not just us that determines the speed as your own internet connection can have issues which would slow things down as well.

Alastair

Comment

It all seems quite good at this end of the world.

Comment

Working...
                  X