Old Glasgow Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Glasgow Street

Was just sent this link to Youtube. Some may find it interesting (I did) but please ignore the 'singing'~~~
    https://youtu.be/ManXMQJpxUw

Sandy

Re: Old Glasgow Street

Hi Sandy..... I remember most of the picture scenes.... does that also make me OLD ??

Ranald
    Last edited by Ranald; 4 June 2015, 08:23. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi Ranald, not really, I remember a good lot of them too~~~~!!!!

Sandy

Comment

I recently came across this clip of old Dunedin which I enjoyed because it brought back many memories of my childhood there - the thing I enjoyed most on trips to town was a ride on the trolleybuses (seen in the clip); I believe these disappeared some time in the '80's. Often the machine would come to a halt when the power-arm became disconnected from the overhead wire and we would have to wait while the driver got out and climbed up onto the roof to reconnect things. All very much as I remember it. (No sound with this one.)

- John.

(Parts of the city are still inundated due to the recent massive flooding.)
        Last edited by albalad; 9 June 2015, 05:43.

Comment

John, that looks more like the fifties to me~~~

And what you are calling trolley buses seem to be trams (on tracks) to me~~

My son will be there in December, I assume that there have been a number of changes!!!

Sandy

Comment

Sandy;

Correct, they were trams in that film, however John is correct in his observation about the pole jumping off the overhead line; that also happened with trams, sometimes a little more frequently with the trolley buses as they were "Steerable", so any deviation from the overhead line resulted in a sudden stop.

Here are some more modern variations from NZ of the venerable vehicle.

Comment

Here is the "Ancient" version, the one with happy memories for John.

Comment

Just to round the session off....................Here are views I well remember from my younger days in Sydney....

.Sydney Tram - Southern Lines & Trolley Buses (Memories of the great Sydney tram network) .

Comment

Yes, you're right Sandy, those were trams in the clip - I don't know why I called them trolleybuses, both were in use at the time (1950's.) I don't think I cared as long as I got to ride on something!
                  - John.

Comment

John, we had both of them as well, but most were double deckers...
                    Sandy

Comment

I road on the last tram ride in Glasgow with my father but don't know where the ticket went to.

Alastair

Comment

Presumably it went to wherever you were going~~~!
                        Sandy

Comment

I think Alastair was meaning, where the ticket was now, from an historic or collectors item.

Not sure if your message was 'tongue in cheek' .....

Ranald

Comment

Well I seem to remember it went through Paisley into Glasgow as I think we caught the tram outside my Aunt's house in Yoker.

My father said to keep the ticket as it might be worth something one day but we moved all over the world after that so where it ended up I know not.

Alastair

Comment

Originally posted by Ranald View Post
                              I think Alastair was meaning, where the ticket was now, from an historic or collectors item.

Not sure if your message was 'tongue in cheek' .....

Ranald
                              Tongue in cheek is correct~~
                              Sandy

Comment

Working...
                              X