Lucy Bethia Colquhoun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucy Bethia Colquhoun

A fascinating account of how ‘the other half’ lived in the 1800s in Scotland appears in Lucy Bethia Colquhoun’s autobiography ‘Recollections Of A Scottish Novelist’ (1915)

Lucy Bethia Colquhoun was born on 17 April 1845 at Portobello, a seaside resort near Edinburgh, the seventh child of John Colquhoun (1805–1885) of Luss, Dunbartonshire, author of The Moor and the Loch, and Frances Sarah Fuller Maitland (1813–1877), a poet and hymn writer. Her paternal grandmother, Janet Colquhoun (1781–1846), was a religious writer, and an aunt, Catherine Sinclair (1800–1864) was a prolific novelist and children's writer.

Lucy Bethia Colquhoun was thus a Great Grand Daughter of Sir John Sinclair of Caithness and as we have a page about him on the site I decided to add this to that page so scroll about half way down to find it.

I might add that in the first chapter she mentions a couple of books that she enjoyed as a child and at the time of writing she still felt that they were good books for children to read. I did a search for them and found a couple which I've also added to the page.

As we already have the book "The Moor and the Loch" up on the site I've also provided a link to it.

You can get to all this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...clair_john.htm

Alastair
Working...
X