No announcement yet.

Genealogical Finds.....After Research!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genealogical Finds.....After Research!!

As many of our "gang" here on Electric Scotland is aware of, I'm working on the genealogy of my ancestors. Some of them came over on the Mayflower, & were quite prominent in Plymouth, Massachusetts. However in doing a bit of research today, I found some interesting things, in regard to illnesses that our ancestors died from. I had one who was a shoemaker, & he died of lung fever. Lots of consumption (TB), on the death records. Here's one for all.... "Olde Age". Many others including "Dropsy on the Brain", "Scrofula consumption", "Cholera Infantium", "teething", & "typhus fever". Another I remember was "Scarlet fever". I must be elderly, as I remember kids when I was a child having Scarlet Fever. I just feel rather thankful that we don't have those diseases today, & definitely have much better health care. Another bit I noted in all the genealogy was that so many babies died at birth, or were only about 2 years old when they died. Just to aid in our "health classes" today!!! (Joking!!) PS: I do know a few of "us" are just entering "Olde Age". :wink: :frown: Cheers....Joan

Re: Genealogical Finds.....After Research!!

Hi, to all once again. I downloaded the book about Colonel Thomas Talbot & his nephew Sir Richard Airey. THANKS TO ALISTAIR!! Believe it or not, but I haven't had time to read it yet. However, the reason I'm talking about it, is that I am actually related to the Talbots. So, shortly, I will check to see how close a relative Thomas Talbot is to me. I also remember that the Airey name is in my tree. So, till I find the time to read the above, I will then let you all know how it came out. My Talbots were living at Malahide Castle, near to Dublin, Ireland. And in my tree, I have upwards of 18,000 people. I do have some interesting Scots as well, such as John the Good, MacDonald, who was, I think the first Lord of the Isles. They had a stronghold there on Islay. It is a lot of fun, but also work to "do" genealogy. Hope soon to have my results of DNA test. See you all soon...Joan:shamrock:

Comment

I'm also awaiting the results of my DNA. Should be here about the middle of September. I've always wanted to do it, so I hang the cost, I just went ahead.

Elda

Comment

Originally posted by Glesgalass View Post
        I'm also awaiting the results of my DNA. Should be here about the middle of September. I've always wanted to do it, so I hang the cost, I just went ahead.

Elda
        Hi Elda,

What was the cost and who did you do it through???? Like you I have also had an urge to have it done...........maybe I have a "Silver Back" gorilla in my lifeline. :confused::cool:

Gordon.

Comment

Gordon I did it via Ancestry.com and it was around $180 - $200, I can't remember exactly. Funnily enough I just received the results via email yesterday. I am 100% European, Ireland 63%, Scandinavia 15%, Great Britain 13%, Iberian Peninsula 6%, Europe West 1%, Europe East <1%, Finland/North East Russia <1%

Interesting. I kind of thought there may have been some Scandinavian because my Irish paternal grandfather was very tall but the Iberian Peninsula was unexpected although most of the Celts came through that way on their way to Ireland they say and the Basques in Spain still speak a Celtic tongue. I also found the 13% Great Britain part strange too as it doesn't specify which part of Britain. No mention of Picts at all.

Elda

Comment

HI, again to all....This bit of information is being posted here in regard to one's getting their DNA tested. As I am working diligently on my own genealogy, I had decided to get my DNA tested through Ancestry. They came back stating I was 39% Irish, etc. So, then I downloaded my results from Ancestry, & uploaded the results to My Heritage.com, which is where I have my own genealogy. Hopefully I have not already given out my percentages: as I can't remember doing so.
            English 89.2% part of North & West Europe, then Irish, Scot, Welsh 6.7%, Scandinavian 3.3%, then East Europe: 0.8% Baltic, which entails Finland, Latvia, Estonia, all around the Baltic Sea. These percentages then add up to 100%. I have attempted to get my brother to get his DNA tested, as even in the same family, there will be differences from one child to another. Depends how those chromosomes come down prior to birth. The results in this one here, I believe, are much more correct, in comparison to my own research into our genealogy. I am much morelikely to believe these results. Thanks, Joan

Comment

Working...
            X