West Canadian Wildfires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Canadian Wildfires

I note that there are nearly 500 wildfires in BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan. I also heard today that 50 Australian fire fighters have just arrived to help out.

Alastair

Re: West Canadian Wildfires

Alastair, not only USA having large fires, but throughout the world The area of the fires now, far exceeds that of those from 1900 and prior.

I doubt if there is a single cause, unless it is the greed of human beings.

Nearly every continent has the problem.

Ranald

Comment

It was not so much the wild files Ranald as to the fact that folk from half way around the world came to help out that amazed me.

See http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-1...dfires/6613684

And also http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay...ectid=11480579

Alastair

Comment

Yes Alastair, that other countries with experience of rural fires, offer their help, is a great step forward.

I consider that the cause of these fires must be determined. Yes some are started by litter (such as glass) left by humans, but what are other 'natural' means can also be the cause. What investigations have been carried out in this respect ?

Ranald

Comment

The majority of these fires are started by lightning strikes. A friend of mine used to work in forestry services in Ontario and often was involved in helping other parts of the world when the fires got out of hand. Much of his work was creating 'controlled fires' aimed at slowing down the spread of wild fires.

Comment

It has been a very dry winter so there was not much moisture in the ground, so very easily ignited.

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

Working...
            X