Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Seduction of Madame Constance Fortescu.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Seduction of Madame Constance Fortescu.

A few minutes after Mo had left, Lachlan said, “should I chase after Mo and make sure she knows where the house is” ? I said, “I wouldn’t, almost sure Mo already knows, they have had a lunch or two together”. Lachlan nodded, said, “okay, i’m going home, would you call me if Mo, I mean when Mo gets back” ? I said, “sure, goodnight Lachlan, I have work tomorrow, remember i’m a business man” and he said, “i’l see you at your shop, businessman”.
    As it turns out, Mo was not completely sure of where Connie lived but she found it, recognized Connie’s car and parked next to it. No lights visible from her car and Mo went to the front door. She saw light, perhaps a small lamp which might have been a reading lamp in a bedroom; wondered about entering and thought, no sense in driving out here and learning nothing, and, “devastated” crossed her mind.
    Inside it appeared there was a living room to her right and as she went further into the house she saw a couple of lights which she guessed were a clock and the small light when a burner on a stove is on. Beyond that were a couple of patio lights and Connie sitting outside at a table, facing the lake. Mo whispered, “Connie”(?) and Connie said, “out here, percolator has old coffee still hot, help yourself”.
    Mo ignored the coffee, joined Connie and said, “I understand it hasn’t been a good day for you, Lachlan visited and I thought I would check to see if you were alright”.
    Connie said, “good of you Mo, someone famous said, “shit happens” and I guess that is true”. Mo said, “you want to be alone and I will leave but I would sooner stay, you know, bad news shared is supposed to be easier to take”. Connie said, “stay or go, up to you, i’m not trying to be rude and I am not about to hurt myself, just running things through my mind, almost thirty years married and suddenly it is over, maybe I should write a book, chapter one, three years of bliss, chapter two, five years of one way sex, chapter three, guilt, chapter four, live with it, and chapter five poof.
    Mo said, “ write and I will read, in the meantime, it is cold out here, what say I make fresh coffee and we have a heart to heart”. Connie said, “fine, how is Lachlan, I think I yelled at him” and Mo said, “he is concerned, a lot, he thinks you might be blaming him for whatever is going to happen between you and your husband”.
    Connie said, “perhaps, perhaps it was simply that he was here, a target I could see…yes it has turned cool, light switch just to the right of the door, coffee canister on the counter and mugs behind the cupboard door with a sailboat painted on it, sailboat was a dream which is now not going to come true”.
    Inside the kitchen Connie sat at the table while Mo prepared the percolator. Almost as soon as the percolator began it’s song, Connie looked at Mo and said, “sorry, but i’m going to cry”.
    Mo stayed late.

Comment

The Madame cried, but the great heaving sobs soon dwindled. Her eyes were puffy, red, cheeks and upper part of her chest showed blotches and she held a crumpled, saturated handkerchief to her nose. When she had finished crying, she said, “I feel ridiculous, feel as if I have done something wrong and I haven’t and, know something(?), before you came there were times when I wanted Peter back in order to call him a bastard, I did, I really did; okay, no more tears and believe me you do not have to baby-sit.
      Mo said, “I know, i’m sure you will be fine in the long run, but, long as i’m here and the coffee pot is filled, let’s see, I don’t suppose you keep anything to drink, you know, spirits, maybe brandy for medicinal purposes”. Connie stood, said, “come with me” and led the way to a study, a “study” because Mo said it was; a desk placed before a window which allowed a view of the “deck” and lake, a small roll top secretary desk along one wall, two easy chairs, a coffee table between them, a bookcase which reached the ceiling and next to that a table which was a liquor cabinet, four sturdy legs, a top which opened to reveal an assortment of bottles. Connie pointed and Mo had a look, said, “this I am impressed with, actually enough here to do Fred and I for ten Christmas, let’s see, rum, rye, Crown Royale no less, phew whisky, real whisky, single malts…oops, wait a minute, the Bonnie Princes’ brew, Drambuie, you okay with this” ? Connie said, “sure, but, oh never mind, take it” and Mo wanted to know, “why the hesitation” ?
      Connie said, “I suppose it makes no difference now but Peter would not allow that one to be mixed with anything, actually, somewhere in there, or perhaps one of the drawers in the roll top, you will find some blended Scotch which Peter would use for anyone who asked for a mixer, water, ginger ale, made no difference to Peter, you ask for a mix and you receive a blended whisky…and I am guessing we are going to put Drambuie into our coffee. Mo said, “we surely are, this my dear is made from Scotch and other ingredients, enough other stuff that it will be called a liqueur”.
      Back to the kitchen, Mo suggested they try a sip before mixing it with coffee and Connie produced two shot glasses, Mo poured, each shot glass less than half filled, raised hers and toasted, “to better days”. Mo downed hers and Connie had only sipped half of hers. They were silent, Mo with a half smile and Connie seemed to be licking the inside of her upper lip. Connie looked at Mo said, “I like it, Peter, almost every time he came in from the cold, whether we were in France, England or Scotland, would take a small glass of this, little sips at a time, said that the warmth would spread throughout his body and I feel it”.
      Mo agreed that she felt it too, asked, “are we going to forget the coffee” and Connie said, “no, but I think I will have rum in my coffee, you do as you please”. Mo agreed to the rum, returned the “Brew” and chose a Captain Morgan while Connie poured not quite full mugs.
      Coffee was laced with rum and each held a mug. Connie said, “a bit chilly, what say I turn the heat on and we move to the living room, oh dear, i’m forgetting you have a husband to go home to”. Mo laughed said, “Fred is all grown up, can look after himself, i’m feeling quite comfortable here, maybe stay for an hour”.

Comment

The move to the living room had one of those moments when they entered and the overhead light was switched on. Connie had made her way to a two seater couch and Mo stood rooted to the spot, her head turned one way and then the other before her eyes settled on Connie. Connie said, “what, would you be more comfortable in the kitchen”(?) and Mo said, “Kroehler, without a doubt, we had very similar to this when I was a kid, my parents bought it second hand and they still have it”, then she laughed, added, “it came with covers, material covers until some company made plastic covers, my God this company went out of business but everything in here looks new”. Connie said, “I don’t know about the company, Peter bought all this through someone he had business with, I know it came from the States, we were living on Prince Edward Island, had bought a house Peter wanted furniture from England, France or Germany but a trip to the States made him change his mind, both couches and the chair are almost thirty years old, actually older, I think they were in a warehouse and, yes these pieces came with covers, not complete covers but covers for the arms, seats and backs, oh and material, we had identical material and at one time we had a home in Kingston, not too long ago, these three pieces were recovered, maybe four or five years ago”. Mo sat in the chair, shoes off, legs curled under her, said, “I may never go home”.
        Connie said, “i’m glad you like it, I do, and, seeing as you know about furniture, all our bedroom furniture was made in Kingston, many years ago”. Mo said, “Gibbard, I want to take a look before I go home”.
        They sat quietly until Connie said, “yes, I like the things Peter insisted on, but now he is gone”. Mo said, “Connie, we have barely met but I know that right now you are hurting, you don’t have to talk about it, we could sit here and have girl talk, talk about movies, books, fashions, men or women we don’t like, and you know something, i’m guessing that you are a wonderful hostess, so, any chance of another coffee with a slightly more generous amount of the elixir from Jamaica, i’ll stay here and guard the furniture”. Connie smiled, a good smile, said, “one more and you will need to spend the night, I do have room”. Mo said, “not a problem, I told Fred not to wait up, however, tomorrow is Monday and you have a shop to open, you might consider setting an alarm”. Connie said, “i’m the boss of the shop, might take Monday off”.
        Connie was more than a few minutes getting refills for their coffees and Mo wandered through to the kitchen. Connie was staring out of the window, seeing nothing but a small light beside the deck. The coffees had been poured and Connie held the bottle of rum, looked at Mo, said, “phew, you know something, he is doing this and making it look like a favour to me and it is not, bloody well not, he knew I was in this marriage for life, yes the marriage changed but even in Gretna they say, sickness and health, good times and bad and whatever else, all I know is that things changed after his accident, the sex changed because it had to, he should have told me from the time of the accident that all of his feelings were gone, down there but he didn’t, I had to find out from a doctor, hah a woman doctor, had to be though, didn’t it because a man would have lied”, and then she cried, the sobbing was back and she was held by Mo.
        Minutes passed, the sobbing stopped, sniffles continued until Mo said, “let’s go back to the living room and if you feel like explaining anything, do, however, curious as I am, curious being used instead of nosy, you need not explain anything, have you added the rum” ? Connie said she couldn’t remember and Mo said, “well, i’m not taking a chance, I will add rum to mine”. She looked at Connie and nodded towards the bottle, Connie said, “please”.
        Back in the living room Connie drank a mouthful, placed her mug on a side table and said, “we were married just over three years, had been in Canada a little more than a year, Peter flew to Toronto and took a train from there to Windsor Ontario, it was late September and he needed to visit Harrow and the Niagara Falls area, it had to do with “winter grapes” I think it was something new and Peter had an idea that if Southern Ontario could grow grapes during the winter, why not PEI.”
        “He had bought a motor cycle, didn’t tell me that, said he was using trains”. From Harrow he was to visit a winery in, I think it was Grimsby, we always used to laugh about all the English names, anyway, he never made it, he was rear-ended by a car which never stopped, was never found either, his motorcycle hit the rear end of a transport truck and he landed on a metal guardrail near Hamilton, both legs severely cut, lower stomach a real mess, one broken hip, a broken arm and one of the doctors said he was really lucky not to have broken his back; I don’t think Peter thought he was lucky but his resolve, perseverance, my God his resilience”, and then she drank from her mug and her tears were not mentioned.

Comment

Connie dabbed at her eyes, looked at the wet hankie and glanced at Mo who left her chair, lifted a box of kleenex from a side table and came to Connie, handed a handful of kleenex to her. Connie nodded, mouthed a thank-you. Mo put a hand of Connie’s cheek and Connie covered Mo’s hand with one of her own, said, “thank-you” and sucked in a long quivering breath. Mo said, “it is going to be okay” and Connie said, “yes, I think so, glad you didn’t mention time but I do know that that is what it will take”.
          Mo returned to the comfort of her chair. Connie drank from her mug and Mo sipped from hers. Connie asked, “have you ever been drunk”(?) and that brought a smile to Mo’s face, who said, “yes, not too often but more than once, you(?) and it was Connie’s turn to smile, “I think three times, once as a teenager, had been married for a few weeks, we were still living in Moffat” and she smiled at the memory. Mo smiled and Connie said, “what”, Mo smiled wider, “you are smiling at a memory, perhaps a night of drinking and who knows what” and Connie laughed, nodded, “yes, and then she chuckled, added, “it was not amusing at the time, believe it or not, we were in our rented flat and Peter had gone to the local bakery for cream buns, we had, ah, ehm, Peter had cooked a full Scottish breakfast, more a brunch, fried bread, (he had potato scones), sausages, beans, fried eggs and black pudding, the cream buns were going to be eaten with our second cups of tea”.
          Peter came back all full of smiles, had bought three cream buns and two Scotch pies for our “tea”, English “tea” meaning our supper and I started to cry. He put everything on the table and held me, he was very concerned, kept saying “what is it” until I finely said, “my period” and he actually said, “is it sore”? and i said, quite sharply, “no it isn’t sore it means i’m not pregnant” and he laughed so I, feeling very grown up, told him, “it is not funny, do you have any idea how many times you have” and he held me, said, “I know exactly how many times and looking forward to the next time”.

Comment

Connie finished her coffee, said, “this is really good and if there is more”(?) held her mug up and looked at Mo. Mo laughed, said, “yes there is more, half a coffee pot and more than half a bottle, are you sure” ? Connie was, “positive, surprised i’m not crying or falling asleep, i’ve never had this before and, surprisingly, I am enjoying our chat, no not quite what I meant, meant to say that after what has happened i’m surprised that I CAN enjoy and you have been wonderful company, God I am taking advantage of you”.
            Mo took the mug out of Connie’s hand, was laughing, said, “no, taking advantage is something altogether different, I am very pleased to be here, should have visited far sooner, and, must admit that from the beginning I have thought you to be an easy person to like”. She went to the kitchen and did the fixins, returned, handed Connie her mug and said, “i’m intrigued, your life has been totally different to mine, mine or anyone else’s that I know, i’m here until you tell me to buzz off”.
            Connie stood said, “that deserves a hug”. She wiggled, added, “still steady on my feet”. When both were seated, Mo said, “how many times in how many days” and they both laughed, Mo added, my favourite author is Terry Southern”.
            At this, Connie asked, “who” ? Mo smiled, you own a book store, anyway, Southern was a joke which didn’t fly, he and a friend of his wrote Candy and, before you ask, it is a dirty book published by the Olympia Press in Paris”. Connie smiled, “Girodias and the Olympia I know off, and Southern, yes he, I think, did live in France, Paris, not too long ago, not sure when, was Candy a good book” ? and now Mo had a big laugh, before adding, “titalating my dear, very, now let us move on from my obvious interest in things prurient, you were saying” ?
            Connie wasn’t sure and Mo reminded her, saying, “this would be chapter one of your life, three happy years”. A more somber Connie said, “yes England, some travelling on the continent, Canada, the east coast” and very quietly added, “the accident”. Mo apologized and Connie said, “no need, I was very happy and as for prurience, we experimented, it was wonderful, do you, oh, sorry, never mind” and when Mo seemed about to speak, Connie said, “no, not my business but I will tell you about the evening when IT struck, one of the times I had too much to drink”.

Comment

Connie sipped and that gave Mo an opening, she said, “just one small question, why Scotland, why not a registrars office in England”. Connie said, “fair question, Peter’s family were opposed, I discovered later that not all were opposed but Peter’s Mother was adamant, plus, I was sixteen and where we were I would have needed parents consent and we knew that would be denied, and another thing was “Gretna” was in another country, we both felt, I don’t know, probably picked on, we talked about it and one morning Peter came to the street where I lived, saw me leave, waited till I was almost at a shop then came to me, said, “do you love me as much as I love you”(?) and I said, “of course”. He took my hand, led us to his car, opened the front door for me, got behind the wheel and said, “would you mind if we went for a drive, we can be in York by dinner time, spend the night and in the morning we will continue our journey to Moffatt, I have rented a furnished flat and we can stay for a month, longer if you wish, we can be married in three weeks, no parents consent needed and Gretna Green will have NO objections”. Mo saw her smile, said, “you were happy”, Connie’s eyes were brimming but there was no sadness and she nodded, said, “very much”.
              Connie sipped and Mo said, “a personal question and I will not be offended if you decline to answer, but, I will not ask if you think you will be offended”. Connie laughed said, “you want to know if I was going to be a virgin wife”, they both laughed and Mo said, “well it’s the age thing, you do realize that many people would not have thought highly of Peter and in England, statutory rape charges might have a possibility”.
              Connie thought about it said, “that never occurred to either of us, it was never mentioned, at that time, Peter’s mother had something to say about that but by then we were married, living not far from his parents, my parents accepted what we had done and my Mum really liked Peter”. Another sip and Mo said, “tellmetellmetellme” very rapidly, “it sounds like you had done nothing prior to your journey, so, York, Moffatt or, oh, PULEEZE, don’t tell me you were able to wait until after the ceremony”.
              Connie was grinning, “we were a very patient couple, shopped for me, tooth brush, nightie, change of clothes etc, shared a room in York, Peter exited while I got ready for bed and he slept on an arm chair with his feet on another chair. Following morning we headed for Carlisle, picked up the 74, M i think, we came across the slip road to the border,crossed, found a service centre and had something to eat, Peter said he would fill the tank and come back for me. When he returned he paid our bill, took my hand and we walked a short way to where he had parked the car. The car was under a huge tree, oak I think, just inside a field, he kissed me long and hard, opened the back door of the car, the back seat had a blanket and a pillow and he said, “I can’t wait 21 days”. The car was a 1966 Morris, a Morris Oxford, a lovely car”.
              Mo had one more question, batted her eyes, said, “and was it all you had hoped it would be” ? and Connie smiled, “”not the first time, my dear, but certainly before we drove on”.

Comment

Connie said, “I seem to be doing all of the talking, and drinking, you are no longer sipping”. Mo nodded agreement, “I am enjoying your talk and, as for drinking, I would like to make sure your shop is open, tomorrow, if I continue to drink I will not be able to drive”, then she grinned, “twice you have glanced at your mug, surely not another already”. Connie said, “goodness no, I might have passed my limit but I don’t feel woozy, did I tell you about the first time I got drunk”. Mo was laughing said, “no you didn’t, you did mention that but there was no explanation, I think it coincided with your period, now if you feel like talking I will refill your mug”. Connie said, “thank-you but not right away, there’s a swallow remaining”.
                She took a small sip, “it is quite pleasant…..my drunk had to do more with my disappointment, the fact that I was not pregnant and Peter asking if I was in pain, I can laugh at that now because at that age I had no discomfort whatsoever…..and there was cider, Peter had a bottle of Normandy cider, he may have bought it or it could have been from his families lands, Normandy produces a lot of cider but Peter’s family enjoyed wine with their meals…I do know that on the evening of my drunk we had a bottle of, I think it was Pinot Noir, we went out, went to Dumfries to the Globe….funny the things that come back, we sat near the fireplace, padded seat along the wall, a table in front of us and the man came from behind the bar, said to Peter, “just like to point out sir, the young lady does not look to be eighteen, now she is allowed to drink but not allowed to buy”,….Peter thanked him and I said, “I am a married woman you know” and I held out my ring finger….the lovely man said, “ay, you’ve the look of a married woman, a very bonnie married woman but ye’ll need tae let your man dae the buyin, keeps the pollis frae my door”…..Peter ordered the wine”.
                “A waitress brought the wine, said that it wasn’t chilled and Peter said, “good, pinot noir should never be chilled” she also delivered two very small shot glasses, added, a single malt from the men at the bar….three men at the bar had raised their glasses and Peter had us both stand and down our drinks, the men bowed and Peter said to the waitress, “their next drink is on me, please”, the waitress said, “they dinnae expect that but ah’ll see what the barman says”…..Peter then asked me if I had recognized any of the men at the bar, I hadn’t and he said, one was a witness when we married”.
                “We sipped our wine, each of us ate a scotch pie, beans and chips, Peter’s with brown sauce and my chips with vinegar….I began to feel very, ehm, loving(?) you know….I asked Peter to kiss me and he did, on the cheek, I remember him saying, “not so loud” after I said his name….I did lower my voice but told Peter that a kiss on the cheek was not expected and then I told him what I wanted to do; in order to keep me quiet, he suggested a room for the night. Peter arranged for the room and we finished the wine. On our way out of the barroom, we had to stop at the bar, shake hands all around and have one more shot. In the room Peter helped me to undress. I was first into bed and lay down, watched him undress, remember telling him, “everything off” and the room spinning. I sat up said I needed to walk a bit re-iterated what he was going to submit to and suddenly wanted Peter to dance with me…..we did sleep in the same bed and Peter said I was wonderful but deep down I knew I had done him no favours”. But this period was a time of bliss.

Comment

Mo said, “you look at peace, nostalgia rules, the good times are never long enough but lucky are we who have the memories, would this be a good time for me to leave and you to sleep” ? Connie shook her head, “no, no but I have no right to your time, perhaps, oh dear, no you have been very good and I thank you, you have, I am very grateful and you need to leave, I will be fine”. Mo crossed the floor, stood in front of Connie said, “please stand” and Connie did. Connie was taller and Mo had to stretch in order to kiss her cheek when they hugged. Mo said, “you are not being a pain, you are not wasting my time I am here because I want to be and what I want you to do is sit, relax, enjoy one more ha-ha coffee and talk, tell me of the good early days of your marriage, un cafe royale coming right up”.
                  Mo delivered the coffee and Connie said, “okay, I admit to enjoying this but there is a tiny bit of guilt, won’t you have one with me(?), if need be I can send you home in a taxi”. Mo said, “thank you but no, in fact, before you continue, please, the keys to the book shop, I will have it opened and the business will astound you”. Connie said, “right, keys are on the board near the side door, a small bunch next to my car keys, BUT, you get sleepy you stay, I could not live with myself if you fell asleep behind your steering wheel”. Mo nodded, found the keys, reclaimed her comfy seat and said, “how long were you in Scotland” ?
                  Connie took a sip, smiled, said, “this is good and so was Scotland, actually from the time I met Peter until the time of the accident I could not have been happier. Peter had rented the flat for two months and the residency requirements we were not positive about, Peter thought 21 days and that might be the legal requirement now but back then I thought it was less, much less, the sixties had more than a few couples crossing the border to be married, “over the anvil”. We did touristy things, Edinburgh to see the flower clock and the castle, Perth to visit a monastery, Inverness for the dolphins and Culloden, the “isles” Arran and Iona and then it was back to England and our English cottage. The cottage had been gifted to Peter but when we moved in, his Mother demanded it be returned, it never was but she did make life difficult, Peter saw her a few times and I did not”.
                  We had two visitors from his family, his Father and our sister-in-law, both came a number of times never at the same time. His Father was very good to us and I often wondered why he had married Peter’s Mother. Our sister-in-law was and is wonderful (Connie could not speak for laughing and it took a few minutes before she continued), Jocelyn, a Guevremont before she married, Parisian, almost eight years older than me and, (more chuckling) and Mo interrupted, “for goodness sake, WHAT(?), your driving me crazy” and Connie continued, “some time after the accident a few years in fact, I had learned that Peter had no feeling whatsoever, it was a very difficult time for me, see, I don’t know how to, or even if I should say anything (a couple of sighs and then another sip, or two, or three) Peter had continued to satisfy me, I, eh, Mo, I, and Mo held a hand up, said, “okay, when the American revolution started, Paul Revere took a ride to warn everyone that the British were coming, lanterns were used and the expression was “one if by land and two if by sea”, I would think that with you and Peter, Peter not being able to do anything else, the expression would be, “one if by hand and two if by weehee”, Connie smiled nodded said, “Mo, you really are amazing”, Jocelyn crossed the Atlantic, heard about Peter’s complete lack of feeling and bought, this is true, my dear Sis-in law bought a vibrator for me, God I cannot believe i’m telling you this, must be the booze”.

Comment

Mo laughed and laughed, tears streaming down her cheeks and because she was laughing Connie joined in. The quiet took a few minutes to arrive and when it did, Mo said, “I can’t believe you told me that but I am very glad you did, oh my God this is wonderful, i’m tempted to have another of those coffees and stay the night”. Connie said,”that would be good”, but Mo was definitely going to open the shop, had an idea that Lachlan would gladly shop sit and wanted a few words with him.
                    Mo declined the offer and with a big smile said, “I have to tell you, and please note that I did not ask if you had used the love toy, (this followed by more giggling), the baby shower for my first might have been the first time a vibrator was mentioned, the majority of women at that shower were my age, most I had grown up with and there were a lot of hints that I might have needed to marry in order to not have a child out of wedlock, but I tell you this, marriage brought on you know what, two days before the service and that was the only period I had before the birth of Luke, oh my goodness another memory flash”.
                    Connie now laughing said, “just a sec, your jumping all over the place and I want to hear about YOUR vibrator and unlike you, I want to know if you used it”. Mo almost fell out of her chair, holding her sides and trying not to laugh she managed to say, “wait, wait, I said, a vibrator was mentioned, it might have been Sally, you know the divorcee that Paddy sees, she is a bit older that me, she might have been married at that time or it may have been after her divorce, anyway, someone said they were thinking of buying one for me in case Fred ever cooled….and when it was mentioned, oh wait a minute it was Sally who had made something for me and all the women knew about it, the package was nicely wrapped and the card said, “congrats girl, two things in one which all women, from time to time NEED”….. I unwrapped, folded the paper and heard a chorus of, never mind the damned paper, open the box, but i rolled up the ribbons, placed the box on my lap, not too easy considering the size of my belly, and asked for tea and they booed and began to chant, open the box, open the box, open the box….I started to and Sally said, “if it doesn’t fit I am sure I can get one that does”, and now I was intrigued, the box was oblong, cardboard with fancy paper added, two sides were a couple of inches and the length was much longer, I was thinking negligee, heard another couple of hurry-ups and lifted the lid, saw white tissue paper and tipped the contents into my free hand, removed the tissue paper and revealed a chocolate penis, everyone collapsed and I started to giggle, reached for Sally who hugged me and said, “you can eat it you want” and even my Mother laughed.
                    Connie rose from the couch, walked, not too steady, across the carpet to Mo, had her stand and hugged her. She walked back to the couch and sat, said, “i just wanted to tell you that you have been wonderful and I have laughed until my sides hurt, earlier I didn’t think I would ever laugh again, I would like you to stay the night and we could do this all again tomorrow, but I know you are anxious to leave, (this last with a touch of sorrow).
                    Mo said, “a deal, you go to bed and sleep until half past ten, in fact set an alarm, I go home, open the bookshop, have someone spell me for a few hours and I return, try and make it by ten fifteen and you wake up to the smell of fresh coffee”. Connie nodded, eyes filled with tears said, I don’t feel too steady would you” but Mo was already holding her arm before she finished.

Comment

My beautiful wife was attending the Madame. I had hoped she would not be away for the entire evening, our kids were with grand-parents and I had been looking forward to “us” you know, a night with only each other; actually had been thinking of that from the time we went sailing; what a way to end one week and begin another.
                      It must have been around ten when Lachlan called, “have you heard from Mo” ? I said, “no but I am sure if there were problems, Mo would have been in touch, quite sure the Madame is in good hands”. Lachlan said, “would you mind if I called you a little later” ? I said, “yes, I would mind but I know you are concerned about Connie, so, I hear anything I will call you, you do realize my kids are at Gramma’s and will go to school from Gramma’s and if my wife does return you may not be the first thing which pops into my mind”.
                      Half past eleven before I heard from Mo: “Connie is sleeping and I have the keys to her shop…she has had a few drinks and, believe me she is not a drinker, this has not been easy for her….I am going to stick around because she is restless, I really do not want her to wake up alone, know what I mean”. I told her, “yes, I do know what you mean, it’s just that, you know, the kids away and”….I knew she was smiling, she said, “Fred, you are a devil, I know what you were thinking and I like that, but, you had better believe I will make it up to you”. I opened a beer, drank half, thought about what might have been before calling Lachlan, “your lady is sleeping and Mo will be opening the shop” and he said, “I know, I have to be there at eight”.
                      Mo was sitting next to Connie’s bed, had dabbed away the earlier tears and felt a lump in her throat, this poor woman has just been severely kicked. She thought of Connie getting undressed and the few minutes of rage which Connie expressed. Mo had helped Connie with the outer garments, hung up slacks, shirt and folded the cardigan, loafers to one side and then she looked into a couple of drawers before finding pyjamas.
                      When she said, “I found these”, noticed that Connie had completely undresses and was staring at one of own legs. Mo remarked, “you’ve bruised yourself” and Connie, suddenly very angry, said, “NO not me, him, my soon to be ex bloody husband, the bastard, came on all loving and we have done nothing, absolutely nothing, well an occasional kiss on the cheek, for years and I was God, WILLING, so very willing until this, what(?), love bight(?) (she jabbed a finger at the hickie). She sobbed, clenched her fists and it took Mo some time to get her to lay down under the covers.
                      Connie’s speech had become slurred and she apologized many times and Mo did understand when Connie said, “when he was, (very indistinct mumbling) and got to past my knee I knew there was something more”. Sobbing, some spasms from under the covers, mumbling until she lay quiet. Mo waited twenty minutes, had set the alarm, an old fashioned dinger with a bell on either side.
                      Once outside, Mo started her car, re-entered the house and listened, had to peek in at Connie and could have shed a tear, Connie had curled into a ball and was hugging one pillow, quietly snoring.
                      Mo went directly to the book shop, went upstairs and looked at the bed, all made nothing out of place, went home and snuggled into Fred.

Comment

Monday morning, awakened, clicked the alarm off, sun was on the rise and the aroma of coffee, I like the month of June and I love my wife. I sauntered into the kitchen, Mr. Cool ready to take my wife into my arms and back to our bed. She was dressed and I said, “what in hell is this(?), kids are being looked after and we have TWO hours, you can’t be serious”, but she was and I resorted to pleading, “oh c’mon hon, last night was a beginning, a sample, we have time”. She picked up a plate, added two fried eggs to sausages and bacon, placed the plate on the table, said, “lover, tonight, in the meantime I need to open the bookstore and you have things to do, now, one warm hug”.
                        We hugged and I sat, said, “okay, this looks good, but, just asking, not complaining but are you putting on a little weight” ? And my wife nodded, her nodding head seemed to add something and I said, “are you”(?) and she shrugged, said, “maybe”. My breakfast was forgotten and we held each other and all I could say was, “wow”. I then suggested, “to hell with business, let’s celebrate”, and she was gone in a flash…..so much for me being the Master in my own home.
                        Mo was at the shop by seven-thirty and Lachlan a few minutes later. He entered yelled, “anyone here” and Mo answered, “upstairs, coffee”. Mo poured for Lachlan, “quite a day, yesterday” and Lachlan agreed, said, “ not sure about anything, no idea what, what I mean is I know so very little about Constance, i mean, I just don’t know anything”. Mo said, “I know a little and I am sure that you and I would agree that Connie is more than a little fragile right now” and Lachlan, had he been a bull, would have snorted said, “I might not be a complete oaf, you know” and Mo said, “I know that Lachlan but like many men you will sort things out in your mind and do what YOU think is best which might not be the best for Connie, so, let’s just calm down and you hear me out”. Lachlan said, “fine” stood up to get more coffee before realizing he had not touched what was in his mug.
                        Mo began, “this annulment has two faces, he, the husband, is probably feeling that he is doing a favour, he may honestly feel that, might love her to the point where he wants her to be happy with someone else, complete, for her to have what he cannot provide”. Lachlan said, “you’ve lost me” and Mo, whether from lack of sleep or concern about Connie, snapped, “i’m doing the best I bloody well can, I don’t know what you know and I don’t know what to tell, so….oh God, Lachlan, i’m sorry, shoot, give me a minute”.
                        She sipped her coffee, placed the mug in front of her, sucked in a big breath and said, “right, there are things you should know but not my place to tell, so just bear with me and I will try and stick to what I feel is right for Connie and right now she is feeling, deserted, she did believe that the marriage was for good, she is so very vulnerable right now” and Mo’s eyes filled with tears, abruptly stood and said, “i’m fine, bring your coffee I think we need to do something about this shop”.
                        It was almost nine and between the two of them they had gathered a collection of used books, books which Connie had bought at an estate sale, sorted them into groups and had them displayed and on sale….Connie had bought a lot of books.
                        Ready to open at nine with Lachlan staying and Mo on her way to see Connie.

Comment

The drive from the book shop to Connie’s lake house takes less than half an hour and Mo, arriving a little before nine-thirty, found the front door open and the screen door unlocked; she entered. Connie was not in her bed. Mo’s mind registered a “please, no”. She took one step towards the bathroom before the aroma of coffee reached her, headed straight for the kitchen and could see Connie seated outside under the big umbrella.
                          Her greeting was, “morning Connie, good to see you up and enjoying a morning cup of coffee, oh my God, (and she laughed), my nose says there is more than coffee in that mug”. Connie smiled, “my second, first was reheated and while I sipped I put on a fresh pot, join me” and she raised her mug, took a sip, added, “good stuff Mo and lots of it, by the way is your husband a Fred or an Ed” ? Mo laughed, “okay, first thing was going to be a thanks but no thanks, goodness sake the sun is no where near over the yardarm but, what the hell, your shop is in good hands and, by the way, you are having a book sale”. Connie laughed, “hasn’t been many of those since I opened, go get your coffee”.
                          The ladies sat in a comfortable silence; Mo reluctant to offer a topic. Connie, looking over the water said, “this is a beautiful spot, mine, by the way, Peter the bastard put this house in my name, probably thinking ahead and dumb me without a clue”. Mo said, “or he might have been thinking you would be pleased to be the owner of this “beautiful spot”. Connie shook her head, smiled, said, “whose side are you on” ? Mo replied, “that cannot be a serious question”. Connie reached, squeezed Mo’s hand, said, “no, not the least bit, thank you for being here” and then she raised her mug before adding, “one more of these and I might go skinny-dipping” and Mo said, “I was swimming yesterday, the water is too damned cold”. Connie winked, said, “woman my age might benefit from the cold”, and Mo laughed, said, “yesterday my Ed was quite pleased and mentioned it”.
                          Connie said, “Ed or Fred” and Mo answered, “Ed, Fred he became after a movie titled “Drop Dead Fred, a few years ago. Connie said, “you love him” and Mo said, “I do, very much”.

Comment

Connie had been eyeing Mo and said, “you have nothing in your coffee, i’m sure of that, just don’t know why unless you are only here to watch over me and that is something I don’t need”. Mo replied, “I am here because I want to be, I enjoyed last night and I do admit that I was concerned, you had a real shock and I am not sure how you held it together as well as you did, I left when I thought you were sound asleep and, as for drinking, you are right, no booze but I did have a little last night; I really don’t want to drink until I see my doctor, have an appointment for Thursday”. Connie, suddenly quite concerned asked, “what is it”(?) and Mo said, “nothing serious, my period is being schedule and that is unusual”.
                            Connie smiled said, “you think you are pregnant(?), how old are you(?), you already have two, do you not” ? And Mo smiled said, “not sure and I am close to thirty-six and yes we have two, my Ed will be quite pleased if I am”. Connie said, “I missed out on that, but, c’est la vie, I suppose, funny, over the years I have had long periods of not thinking about children then there are times when incidents bring it to mind, and I am left with, “if God had meant me to be a mother, the first few years were enough time” and I did think of insemination but could never bring that up to Peter”, then she grinned before adding, “have you thought of a Godmother, no, i’m just kidding”. Mo grinned said, “if I am and all goes well I would hope that a lady who owns a book store might agree to being a Godmother”.
                            Connie took one more sip and said, “enough, enough for the day and I doubt I have had half of what I had last night, what say I get dressed and we go to Lachlan’s favourite diner for lunch, my treat, and then I will go to the shop, send Lachlan on his way”.
                            Connie had a quick shower, dressed and was ready to “face the world”, her words. Mo drove, mentioned that the lady who did the cooking at the diner also owned it, had been in her family for some years and her Mum and Dad lived close by but wintered in Florida.
                            At the diner Mo noted, “Monday’s are usually quiet but the rest of the week this parking area will be half full and the back lot is where the truckers park”. They entered, chose a booth and a woman, Connie guessed about Mo’s age, brought two coffees. Mo did the introductions and May said, “aha, you are the reason our Lachlan has not been around, your the book store lady”, turned to Mo and added, “very nice”, turned back to Connie and said, “I think you have won his heart, some women have all the luck, oh and you are married, I hear”. Connie smiled said, “maybe, time will tell”. May looked at Mo said, “what’s this” ? and Mo said, “later, all will be revealed, in the meantime, blueberry pancakes for me” and Connie said, “me too”.
                            As soon as May left there booth Connie said, “May, if I am not mistaken, is a few years older than Lachlan and she is NOT married”. Mo smiled, “got it in one you clever woman and before you ask, I have no idea”. Connie said, “really(?) i’ll ask May” and Mo replied, “don’t you dare, they might have, you know, perhaps, I do know they have dated but they both date other people”.
                            Both enjoyed their lunch, Mo asked if Connie wanted dropped off at her house and Connie said, “no, the shop, I will send Lachlan home and perhaps spend the night, I have everything I need there”.

Comment

There was no hurry to get Connie to the book store, Connie was not in a rush and, as Mo pointed out, “my husband will keep our shop open until six”, plus her kids would be back home; she did mention to Connie, that Ed had high hopes. Connie laughed said, “you could use, oh hon I have a headache”, and Mo said, “no chance, I will be putty in his hands and love it”. Mo glanced at Connie who nodded. Mo said, “is that a bit of a smile I see, you thinking of anyone” ? Both laughed and Connie said,”you cannot be serious, he is not unattractive but my God, what is he, twenty-eight(?) t’would be robbing the cradle and besides he does seem to keep himself busy, I think that Kirsten and May are not his only dates”.
                              Mo thought a couple of minutes before speaking, “well, let’s see, let’s do a for and against accounting, okay, as you said, he is attractive” and Connie interrupted, “hold on there, I believe I said he was not unattractive and the man I am still married to is very attractive, an Englishman with more Gallic charm than the old actor Chevalier, and I loved him, your turn” and she smiled broadly.
                              Mo nodded, “hell i’m just beginning, okay, Lachlan would not be as suave as your soon to be ex but do not underestimate his charm and do not knock the niceness, he is nice, charming, helpful, completely honest and here, meaning available, but, you know something(?) even if you were willing i’m not sure if Lachlan would”, Connie said, “phooey, he almost drools when he sees me, he has mentioned an attraction and I think he would be mine for the taking, IF I was inclined” and they both laughed.
                              They were approaching the book store and Mo said, “seriously, I do not expect you to jump into anything, have no idea about your urges and I admit to liking Lachlan, have from the time we met, AND, a few of his dates have talked, ain’t a one of them ever complained, BUT, as you have said, “far too young for you”.
                              When Mo stopped outside the book store Lachlan came to the car, said hi to Connie then addressed Mo, “your hubby wants me to call him the minute I see you, perhaps better if you went to the shop, I do believe he misses you”.
                              Connie and Lachlan stood on the sidewalk and waved while Mo performed a u-turn. Lachlan grinned, said, “they are a happy couple, oh, and sales have been so-so”.

Comment

Lachlan was first in the shop, held the door for Connie and as soon as he closed the door, said, “some books were sold”. Connie nodded, said, “thank you, you have been very kind but now it is time for you to go home”. Lachlan shrugged his shoulders and Connie said, “Lachlan, my goodness if you could see your face, crestfallen comes to mind and I doubt if I have ever used that word, now, I do not mean to hurt your feelings but I have had a bit of a shock, don’t expect you to understand but that is not important, I do appreciate you tending to my business but I do not want to take over your life, time I took over my own”.
                                Lachlan said, “I see, first off you are not about to take over my life, that could only happen with my co-operation and agreement and even then we would need to reach a place of mutual understanding, I know how I feel about you and I know you do not feel the same about me, as for me NOT understanding how could, I am in your eyes but a callow youth, might be the only time I have ever used the word callow, I will double-check it’s meaning when I am to the place I am being sent; are you afraid that I am going to come on to you(?)” but before she could answer he held up a hand, continued, “I will tell you what I thought your return would be used for, a talk about the sales while we have coffee, a time for me to decide whether I should ask you to have dinner with me, a time for me to see if you might need space and time”. His jacket was near the cash register and he reached for it.
                                Connie took a step towards him and said, “you need to forgive me, I am a little up-tight, this abandonment has me at a loss, please stay and put two stools near the cash and I will follow the scent of the coffee and pour two mugs”, Then she kissed his cheek and added another, “please”.
                                Lachlan was pleased, had made a few notes and when they were settled with their coffees Lachlan produced his notes, said, “found a receipt book and it looks as if you bought 500 paperbacks for $40.00”, Connie lifted her hand, said, “total seemed to be nearer to six hundred but the price is right”. Lachlan continued, “when Mo and I moved them I counted forty to a carton and fifteen cartons in all, now a couple of cartons seemed to have more and one definitely had less because two rows had very thick paperbacks, oh and that was the carton I put aside because the thicker books were in very good shape, noticed a Dr. Zhivago which looks brand new, anyway, the books which sold were sold four at a timei and I charged one dollar”. Connie said, “that is only 25 cents per book” and Lachlan pointed out that her costs worked out to less than eight cents per book and forty-three bundles were sold and another eighteen bundles are put aside and will be bought next Saturday, cash comes to more than your outlay and there are over three hundred paperbacks remaining”. Connie was very pleased, a big grin when she remarked, “that is wonderful, I could kiss you”. Lachlan said he would like that and Connie kissed his cheek, added, “tell you what, I have food in my freezer and if you would care to hang around, I will make dinner for two, you close up the shop at six and we will eat”.
                                Lachlan was on cloud nine, Ed and Mo stopped by for a couple of minutes. They arrival shortly after five and Ed said, “Monday, business slow, wife asked me to close early” and Mo said, “he lies”. Mo climbed the stairs to see Connie, said, “I was going to ask if you were okay but you look very ok”. Connie sighed, shook her head and whispered, “I never said I had anything against Lachlan except his age, we will have dinner and then he will go home”. Mo smiled, said, “enjoy your dinner, want a hug before I go cos you won’t be getting one from the too young guy”. They hugged and Connie said, “cute but too young”.
                                Ed and Mo went home. Lachlan closed the shop promptly at six and joined Connie who was dishing out shake and bake chicken, mashed potatoes with diced green onions throughout and early asparagus. For dessert there was frozen cheesecake from which Connie had sliced two servings and both were allowed to thaw. The meal was finished, all but the coffee when Connie excused herself, saying, “back in a minute”.
                                She was back in five minutes and Lachlan said, “wow, shorts, forgive me but once again I must say, “very nice legs”. Connie stood in front of him, put her hands on his shoulders and said, “did you notice anything else” ? Lachlan stared at the cleavage, looked into her eyes and said, “the third button seems to be undone” and Connie said, “it fell off”. She kissed him, this time not on the cheek. She kissed him again then whispered in his ear, “before I take you into my boudoir, please note that it is I who is doing the seducing”.

Comment

Working...
                                X