Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Seduction of Madame Constance Fortescu.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Seduction of Madame Constance Fortescu.

The Seduction of Madame Fortescue

I met Lachlan about five years before he met the Madame. He was a womanizer, a bon vivant, a man about town but only in his own mind; all that he wanted to appear to be was difficult, almost impossible for a twenty-three year old. An outrageous flatterer who did manage to impress some of the ladies he was acquainted with, how much he impressed is difficult to ascertain for he was discreet, either that or totally unsuccessful in his pursuits.
    Lachlan was quite happy with his life. He got along well with most people, at times could be helpful at other times could be a pest. He lived alone and travelled once a year. His holidays were usually no longer than three weeks and he never returned with stories of conquests. He did have one lady who visited and local gossip could not decide whether he was the conquerer or the conquered; I chose to believe the latter on account of his dating dropped off to nearly nil after their last get together.
    The Madame arrived in town shortly after Lachlan’s visitor departed. He was twenty-eight and she was somewhat more mature. He mentioned meeting her when he and I were playing cards, said she had bought the old book store, was married, and he knew nothing of her family, knew not whether she had children and no idea what her husband did; but he did add, “very attractive”.
    He had nodded to himself when he said the last and I said, “now you are going to say she is, “hungry”, and the hunt will begin”. He said, “no, my guess is that she is nearly forty, attractive yes, but perhaps with a huge, bad tempered husband”. I said, “a month from now and I will remind you of this conversation”.

Re: The Seduction of Madame Constance Fortescu.

I am married, have been for fifteen years and am now thirty-five, a few years older than Lachlan and a mutual friend of ours, an elderly, brilliant, bridge player once said that he, (Lachlan) and I were friends because Lachlan bragged and I re-lived my period of “sowing my wild oats” while listening to his stories. Lachlan and I laughed because Lachlan didn’t brag and my wild oats time left me with no experience whatsoever; a few furtive fumbles and me stopping whenever the girl said, “no” was as far as I got until I met the future Mrs.
    So, my interest in the “Madame” was piqued by the way Lachlan looked and that nod of his head when he mentioned her. I had a small shop, sold tv’s and appliances and had Lachlan as a part time employee for the repairs; he knew that stuff and was good with computers, computer maintenance is where he earns his living.
    A few days after talking with Lachlan he was at my shop and I took a stroll to the book shop, introduced myself and shook the hand of Constance. I had said, “a pleasure to meet you Constance” and she insisted on Connie. I was invited to join her for coffee which was percolating; we chatted for some time and she remarked, “the young fellow mentioned you, said you two were bridge players, you ever need a fourth please call” and she handed a business card to me, her home phone number on the back.
    I asked if her husband played and she said, “husband (?) do I have one”, then she smiled before adding, “I do but he is seldom home, a man bound and determined to make a million before he turns fifty, which he did a few years ago”: I had no idea what to make of this and simply smiled.
    She said that my friend (Lachlan) was quite interesting, seemed quite young, “almost as if he was trying to find a personae he could adopt”. I smiled, said, “that is Lachlan, a good heart though and so-so at bridge”

Comment

three
      Back to my store and Lachlan brought me up to date with tv repairs, two older models were ready to go, one needed a new tuner and the other an alignment. He asked if I had enjoyed my time away, noted that I had been gone for less than twenty minutes. I told him, “a very enjoyable break, met your lady friend who told me to call her “Connie”. She had told him the same thing and he said, “Constance, much more suitable pour La Madame”. I did not disagree but warned, “my boy, she will break your heart and she is married”, something he knew. He took a last mouthful of coffee, rinsed his mug and said, “adios” I asked, “are you…” and before I could finish he answered, “only for a quick visit to pick up “The Big Chill”.
      Lachlan stopped at the bakery, one cinnamon bun and one cream puff, before continuing to the book shop, and the “Madame”. She told him that his friend Ed had stopped by and he said, “honey to a bee, did he bring gifts” ? and she said “no, I think he was here to welcome a fellow business person”. Lachlan produced the goodies, gave her a choice and she hesitated. He suggested half of each and told her she had a dazzling smile. She nodded, said, “Lachlan, this is very nice and you are a very pleasant person, not bad looking, however, flattery will get you nowhere and I am not in the market for a male companion, particularly one who is much younger than me, besides all of that, I am married”. He nodded, looked quite serious and apologized for being a pest, insisted that he meant no harm and seemed so very sincere that the Madame may have felt a little guilty.
      She warmed her coffee and poured a fresh one for Lachlan. He apologized again and said he would only visit in the future if he was looking for a book. She apologized, told him he should visit anytime he wished, smiled before adding, “except if I ever have customers”.
      They talked writers and after a bit he took his leave, said he would try not to impose then added, that he had no idea as to her age and that she did have a very nice figure, held his hands up said, “not flattery”.
      Lachlan had eaten only his half of the cream bun and the Madame ate the cinnamon half which he had left, thought to herself, “go straight to my hips, i’m too old to care”. Later she saw herself in a mirror and thought, “attractive” ? maybe so.

Comment

four:-
        It was quite early the following morning, 7:15 at the latest, Lachlan was on his way to a neighbouring community, twenty miles down the highway but Lachlan always took the secondary road, a road which had a truck stop with a very good restaurant, so good that it had survived the by-pass taking most of the traffic. He noticed the Madame at the door of her book shop and parked his car.
        He crossed the street said, “bonjour Madame, were you out early this morning” and she smiled, said, “no, I am just arriving, have work to do”. Lachlan voiced that he thought the book store had an upstairs apartment and she said, “it does, hasn’t been used for a while and needs cleaning, I do a bit at a time”.
        Lachlan smiled said, “your, oh, never mind”. She grinned said, “Lachlan, don’t do that, you wanted to say something, started then stopped and you must know that when you do that you get the full attention of the person you are talking with, so, continue”. He spoke very rapidly, “I was going to remark on your smile, big, wonderful, welcoming, joyous and very attractive but if I had you would have said “flattery” and dismissed the thought and you told me to, in effect, back off and I have, have no intention of coming on to you despite the fact that you are a very attractive lady, married and all”, “sorry” was dragged out and added in a sing-song voice. She smiled again, said, “you really are something and if I was inclined towards an affair, I would certainly consider the very young Lachlan.
        He said, “thank you for that, now, I am early and have time to lend a hand at whatever you have planned”. She seemed to think this over and said, “I might need a man’s hand, just not right now, perhaps some evening after store hours” before adding, “save your flattery for someone closer to your own age”. Lachlan said, “I will be finished some updates by three, will visit your shop and if you are not too busy will have a look at what you need”. She said, “that would be fine but there is no rush”.
        Lachlan said he would see her, three-ish then added, “the skirt is nice, you have a nice leg for an old woman” and then he turned to leave and the Madame said, “Lachlan, you have a nice ass, young but nice” and her grin was ear to ear.

Comment

five:-
          Lachlan returned to the book shop, remarked that he was a “little early”; the Madame smiled, “very early”. Lachlan loved the smile said, “surely not too” and the Madame said, “reminds me of my younger brother who, on Christmas day, would slip downstairs at four in the morning and I, five years older, was allowed up with our parents to see the anticipation on his face, on the other hand he was never disappointed”, Lachlan laughed, said, “I am far from disappointment, i’m early, met by a very attractive lady and happy to do her bidding”.
          Constance smiled, shook her head said, “there is a very fine line between smooth and smarmy, got to admit you are staying on the good side”. She led the way to the upstairs apartment, two bedrooms, a kitchen doubling as an eating area, a sitting room, a toilet and a bathroom separate. Kitchen had had some fixing up but she was targeting the toilet/bathroom, was undecided as to what she wanted. Choices to be decided from were, keep as is, toilet water tank high above with a long, now broken, chain and having the bath re-glazed if that was possible…or…rip it all out and hire someone local to make the two rooms one and have the shower as part of a wet room.
          Lachlan said, “assuming the toilet is still usable I can add to the length of chain until you make up your mind, but, my choice, without a doubt is the wet room, a roomy shower area with nothing to climb over and definitely a seat at one end”. She said, “a seat(?), like a chair, why” ? Lachlan looked very serious said, “a place to sit down while washing between your toes and very handy in case you have someone waiting to shower”. She laughed said, “young man you are getting very close to smarmy”.

Comment

six:-
            The “Madame”, as I saw her, hired a father son team to re-do her bathroom. The two had a good business, were kept busy, did very good work at reasonable prices and the Madame would learn that both were quite good with design. Paddy, the father, knew the old book store, he and his father had done some carpentry in the basement, also the inside of the garage,
            He visited the Madame and asked if he might have a look around, recalled the earlier work. He and the Madame were having coffee when his son, Michael, dropped in. They viewed the bathroom and Michael was all for ripping everything out, his argument was, “old plumbing, very difficult to match up” but Paddy was of another mind, had a foolscap pad with him and quickly had a drawing of what he thought would work.
            The rough drawing showed the toilet almost as is but moved closer to the right side wall. The present fixtures would be used, cistern, chain, and toilet, The window would be replaced by a more modern window, a little farther out from it’s present location and underneath would be a boxed in space for towels and such, the lid would be pine, light pine.
            Paddy knew someone who would re-do the fixtures, tank and toilet any colour she chose. The Madame was skeptical said, “they’re glazed are they not(?), difficult to paint, surely” but Paddy assured her they could be done, said, “it’s a woman does this, does something to the glazed parts, re-colours and bakes the entire fixture, i’ve seen them in pink, yellow, blue, whatever you wish and the chain will be replaced, the new one ending with a tassel. The sink has to go, far too small and plain, Sally has a couple of sinks, one I know which is yellow with a flowered edge, roses I think. Taps are available, modern or old. He was becoming quite enthusiastic said, toilet seat and lid could be wood and there are taps with the top part made of wood, the spout of course is metal.
            The Madame was getting into it and Michael said, “i’ll leave youse to it, my dad should mention that Sally and he are very close, but that should not deter you, she is brilliant at what she does, oh, one more thing, my dad is going to suggest a vine to grow from the toilet up to the tank, change in the window to provide more sunlight”, and he was gone.
            Paddy stayed a couple of hours and all was decided, the “all” included that Lachlan was to be denied entry to the toilet area until that section was complete; Paddy estimated four days.
            Lachlan was kept at bay but three of those days he was allowed to take “Constance” out for lunch; one guess as to whose wife tended the book shop during those lunches.

Comment

Seven:-
              A Thursday afternoon, 6th/June, Lachlan has been working at the book shop, using a borrowed pick-up for trips to the dump. The sign said “Garbage Disposal” but it was the “dump” to the locals. Unlike some communities our dump never closed, fees were at a minimum and there was a slot where folk could drop their payments; was an honour system and sure there were some cheats but most folk put money into the envelopes provided. Daytime the office was open, run by “Kristen” a divorcee, early thirties, a sometimes date for Lachlan.
              Lachlan stopped by my store after his last trip. We were having coffee when my wife, Mo, visited, said to Lachlan, “you free Saturday(?), we need a bridge player at our house, seven-thirty”. Lachlan said, “not sure, can I let you know within the hour” ? Mo grinned, said, “no, you let me know now, Connie needs a partner and I can think of a number of men who would jump at the chance”. Lachlan said, “YES” then he and I high-fived. Mo smiled, shook her head, said, “don’t be smug, Lachlan, I had to talk her into it, she is married, you know”. Lachlan knew.
              He left and Mo said, “two tables, bought a case of beer, have chips and dips and we can send out for pizza, and, bet you didn’t know it is Sally’s birthday”. I knew that if Sally was coming she would be partnered with Paddy and asked, “you going to bake a cake” ? and Mo laughed , “not a hope, Sally makes the best carrot cake in the county, cream cheese icing, we will provide a candle or two”.
              Saturday night Lachlan was last to arrive, he wasn’t late just last. He was wearing shorts and everyone laughed, seems that Lachlan told Connie that everyone would be wearing shorts and he stayed outside until all had arrived, he wanted to see if Connie was wearing shorts and if not he had a pair of pants in his car. Connie arrived and backed into the driveway, no way that Lachlan could see what she was wearing when she exited her car. When we finished laughing, Mo addressed Lachlan, “well, what do you have to say for yourself” ? and he replied, “it was worth a shot”, looked at Connie, added, “squealer”. They smiled at each other.
              It was a good night, good bridge, good company and excellent carrot cake. Getting ready for bed Mo had showered, was putting pyjamas on and I said, “did you not have two glasses of wine” ? she replied, “yes”, with a puzzled look on her face, “you keeping track of what I drink” ? and I said, “sort of, I figured two glasses of wine and you don’t need pyjamas” she said, “then neither do you”. We were settling down and I asked, “do you think that Lachlan is in for a fall” and Mo said, “not sure, I think that Connie is debating, the husband seems to never be around and, who knows” ? I asked about, “woman’s intuition” and she said, “I honestly feel that she wants to, but, new to town, a new business which she wants to succeed with”. She clung to me and whispered, “this is good”.

Comment

eight:-
                Sunday morning, eight AM, Madame called Lachlan and said she was sorry for last night. My Sunday morning went without apologies, in fact I had a bath run for me and was served a mug of coffee while I soaked and the lady who served the coffee had a coffee for herself and joined me, her one request was that I move to the other end of the bath, the end which held the taps; it was little enough to pay for what I expected to happen.
                Lachlan heard the apology and said, “no, I should apologize, I had no business following you”. The Madame said, “Lachlan I am seeing what you did in the best possible light, you were concerned for my safety, please listen, I should not have said the things I said and hope you will meet me at the shop where I will cook a breakfast for two, you and me”. Lachlan said they could meet at a restaurant which he frequented and the Madame, getting a little frustrated said, “suit yourself, I am going to my book shop”, and she hung up.
                What had happened when our bridge players left my house was that Paddy and Sally left together, Sally had picked up Paddy and would drop him at his place or take her home to her place; they were an item, had been for a few years. Connie had backed into my driveway and that is why Lachlan had not seen whether she was wearing shorts or not. Lachlan’s car was on the street and he watched Connie drive away until she made a left turn, a turn which took her away from the book shop. He followed, all the way to to Silver Lake.
                He parked right behind her car and was standing by her door when she got out. She lit right into him, “what do you think you are doing, you follow me and how in hell would that look if my husband were here, if he was waiting to greet me” ? He said, “I was just trying to” and she cut him dead, “not interested, just go and while you are at it find someone your own age”.
                He was a little shaken, watched her turn the corner, saw a light come on in the house and left while she was closing the curtains.
                Sunday morning and he showered, shaved, dressed in cream coloured pants and a brass buttoned blazer, was at the book shop shortly after Connie, tried the front door and heard the old fashioned bell announce his entrance. He called up stairs, “am I too late for breakfast”. Connie was not upstairs, had been sorting some books and came to the front of the store when she heard him. Looked at him and burst out laughing, he was dressed to the nines and she was wearing shorts, not too short shorts.

Comment

nine:-
                  The Madame asked if he was starving, said, “I had planned on string potatoes, ham and scrambled eggs, but, as you can guess i’ve started nothing, wanted to show what Paddy and Michael had done”.
                  The first six stairs leading to the apartment above were quite narrow, made that way when the house became a shop, wasn’t always a book shop but had been for have a dozen years or so. They ascended single file and when Connie was on the fifth stair, Lachlan said, “I, oh, never mind”. Connie stopped, turned and said, “NO !, we have discussed that, you have something to say just say it”. Lachlan had been about to step on the second stair and his eye level was a little below her waist. He said, “okay, but no yelling at me, I was going to say that you DO have nice legs but realized that would annoy you and I honestly don’t , I mean, look, i’m trying but (two phews) hell with it, you are a very attractive woman, want me to get lost and I will”. He was very serious and Connie smiled, “right, and here is me thinking, is it not the Irish that are full of blarney” ? She leaned forward, stuck her hand out and said, “truce”. Lachlan took the hand, paused before looking into her eyes and it was then he noticed a slight colouring of her face; the Madame realized he had taken in her cleavage.
                  The bathroom was now one room and Lachlan’s first remark was, “this is something, love what they did to the window and the bench seat, does it lift, like can you put stuff inside, you know, spare soap and whatever else, oh, toilet seat is a surprise, thought you would have chosen a wooden one”. Connie said, “that was Paddy’s suggestion but comfort over style for me, this is one of those padded seats.
                  They both looked at the bath area and Lachlan said, “not a wet room” and he smiled at her, added, “that bath will be plenty comfortable” and he peered at what he thought was a tap for the shower, said, “The Whisper” and nodded his head. Connie said, “I thought it was the spirit of something, a Rolls/Royce thing, is it not ? Lachlan said, “it is definitely, this one was the first and named The Whisper, the lady holding a finger to her lips, the second version is The Spirit of Ecstasy, you have chosen discretion over excitement”.
                  Connie asked if he was sure about the names and he said, “pretty sure”. She said, “the bath is designed for comfort, Whisper is the tap for the shower and the two handles on either side of her are for filling the bath, the spouts flush with the bath wall, won’t be stubbing my toe on any tap”. She looked at Lachlan and raised an eyebrow, Lachlan said, “nothing, no comment”.
                  Connie prepared a good breakfast and they chatted, books, authors, favourite movies. Over coffee Connie said, “when I said about not stubbing my toe you had an immediate thought, going to tell me what it was” ?….she was smiling, a full smile. Lachlin looked a little uneasy and she laughed, said, “no need to answer, MY first thought when Paddy explained the, I think he called it a spigot, was, me laying at that end my back would be quite comfy”. She laughed and Lachlan nodded, she laughed all the harder said,”were you thinking of your back, Lachlan, you are precious and if I was ever inclined to break my vows, oh dear, you are far too young.
                  Connie suggested he go home and get changed into something more casual, said, “i’m going to be busy for a couple or three hours but you come back around noon and lunch is on me, i’ll take you to the diner you are fond of”.
                  Lachlan said, “okay, can I just say one thing without you becoming annoyed” ? Laughing she said, “say whatever, no recriminations”, and he said, “your shape is nicer than Eleanor Thornton”s” and she laughed very hard said, “who is Eleanor Thornton” ? and he replied, the model for both, Whisper and Spirit”.

Comment

ten:
                    Lachlan almost reached his car, stopped, turned around and once more entered the book shop. The Madame looked at him, said, “forget something” ? and he said, “no, you did, breakfast, you promised breakfast, you do breakfast and I will go home change, return to help with clean-up AND”. She said, “and what(?) what, exactly is on your mind”. He said, “if you are going to get huffy I won’t explain the EXACTLY because you must already have a fair idea, but I will suggest LUNCH at my place”, She replied, with a smile, “Lachlan you are incorrigible but lunch it is, your place, anything but chicken on the bone, not chicken legs or breasts”. He said, “you don’t like chicken” ? and she said, “oh but I do, just afraid that you saw Tom Jones and eating chicken with me might set your mind aworking”. Lachlan shrugged, said, “Tom Jones, Fielding, I think, do I need to read the book to see what chicken has to do with anything”. She said, “no, perhaps in the future we will talk about it”.
                    Thirty minutes of Lachlan using a vacuum, wiping book shelves, placing books in order, first initial of writer’s surname when he was called for breakfast. As she was going upstairs to cook, she told him to do nothing except sit and he waited until she was out of sight, removed his blazer, shirt and tie and when called he went upstairs, shoes, socks, pants and now not a spotless white t-shirt. She looked him over, smiled said, “not Brando but not bad”.
                    They ate, talked, talked of many things and when he was leaving she said, quite seriously, “I do enjoy your company but age difference and marriage vows say, no way, I wish you would accept that”. Lachlan said, “I hear you loud and clear, I thoroughly enjoy your company, your looks, your shape and if we are not to become more than platonic friends, so be it, my loss, I promise to make no move to change our relationship” before adding, with a grin and a nod at her breast, “I ever again see the third button undone, look out”. She looked and her hand went straight to the third from the top button on her blouse, “that I have never done before” and she hadn’t, the third button was missing.
                    Lachlan was away, day dreaming about lunch and what to have. He was an hour in his own apartment when Connie called. He answered and she said, “Lachlan I must cancel lunch” and he immediately started to apologize. She interrupted, said, “no nothing you have said or done, it’s my husband has called from the lake, he wishes to speak with me, mentioned our evening of bridge, almost as if he cared and was having me followed, but he says he has a plan which I will approve”. Lachlan said, “I don’t know what to say, I have a feeling that this is none of my business”. Connie said, “no idea what is on his mind but he is not devious, never been cruel, our marriage is not, oh never mind, perhaps one day I will tell you, oh, would you mind meeting him, his suggestion and you do know where my lake house is, now I must run, try and make it by two”.

Comment

Sunday, 9th./June/96, a day I did not expect to hear from Lachlan but call he did. Be about half one when I answered the phone, Lachlan said he was going to meet the husband of the Madame and I asked him why. Seems the Madame had called, invited him to her lake cottage to meet her husband whom, I was told, had a plan which would please the Madame; I was completely at sea, the Madame’s husband had seldom crossed my mind. I asked Lachlan to hold and talked to Mo, explained what was happening and she took the phone.
                      The Madame had been a little more forthcoming to Mo in regards her marriage. She was quite young when she married, had met her husband while in France, Normandy to be precise. She was on an extended holiday/vacation but worked, cleaned out barns until late August and the same farmer asked her if she and her friends would like to stay on for two weeks of apple picking.
                      When the orchard was cleared, there was an area celebration, sort of an end of season thank-you. Her last night was the night after the celebration, her future husband, speaking perfect French took her for a drive; she saw a lot of Normandy which she had not seen before. She was sixteen years old and the man made her feel like a grown up.
                      He delivered her back to the farm house a little before midnight. He walked her to the door and, perhaps it was the two glasses of wine she had had, she presented her face for a good night kiss; her future husband kissed her cheek. Her two girl friends had stayed up, dying to hear about her “date”. She thought to embellish the good-night kiss but resisted, said, “like a true gentleman he kissed my cheek, I do believe we will be married quite soon”.
                      The farmer had the girls awake and dressed for breakfast by six. They were going to be picked up and taken to Cherbourg where they would board a ferry to Portsmouth. There driver was the future husband. His English was perfect and his first name was Peter, Pierre when in France. His family name, Fortescue, could be traced back to Hastings and the Norman invasion.
                      Back in England he introduced the Madame to his parents and they were not pleased; his Mother in particular had already decided her youngest son would marry a distant cousin whose family owned extensive areas of Normandy. The Madame’s family forbade then to see each other, Connie had been accepted by Surrey University and much of her tuition was going to be paid from scholarships; they eloped, drove to Gretna Green and were married, she almost seventeen and he thirty-five. Peter was very anxious to start a family but Connie did not conceive. They tried for three years, three happy years which changed drastically when Peter crashed his motor cycle. A number of operations, a long period of rehabilitation and finally, Peter could walk without the use of canes but he would never be a father. Connie swore eternal love and intended to stay married to Peter for life. Peter’s family had already disowned him but, as Connie would say, “he was bound and determined to make a lot of money and he was a workaholic.

Comment

Lachlan arrived at the lakeside cottage shortly before two, somewhat apprehensive. The Madame was at the door as soon as he parked. He was introduced to Peter who appeared to be open, friendly, a man who made it obvious he wanted Lachlan to be at ease, Connie led the two men to the deck, had them sit under the umbrella which shaded a large round table; she excused herself, said, “coffee, ten minutes” and Peter said, “mercy, Madame”.
                        He continued, addressed Lachlan. “Lachlan, Scots, I believe, my family, somewhat divided, were for and against the “auld alliance”. I doubt if you know much about me, can’t see Constance being free with information and so I will give you a quick history. We met while she was in Normandy, working for a farmer who rented lands from my family, I, of course, speak perfect French and Constance spoke, at that time, passable French. I, we, seems almost impossible now, what with the age difference but, we fell in love”. He smiled as if thinking pleasant thoughts, continued, “I think my wife was mostly taken in by my apparent maturity and my French, once said that my rolling R’s were like a caress”. Our families did not approve, though in hindsight, had I made the effort, they would have come around and who knows, we might have been married in the Lisieux Basilica, near Caen, Normandy, and i might have avoided the accident, but, c’est la vie”.
                        “Instead we married in Scotland and after checking information given to me by a lawyer friend, I think there is a way for Constance to be free of me”. He stared out over the lake and Lachlan knew this was not easy for him. Peter reached inside a jacket and produced a cigar, said, “would you mind”(?) and Lachlan said, “no”. Peter told Lachlan that he had already spoken to Constance and she might need a little convincing, said, “that would be for you to do, I realize you are quite young but one of my business associates has a wife, seventeen years his senior and they have been very happy for more than twenty years; you can give Constance that which I cannot and, because she was under the age of eighteen, married without parents consent, Canadian Law allows for an annulment. my lawyer friend says that where the marriage took place is of little consequence”.
                        Connie arrived with a tray, coffee for three, a plateful of finger sandwiches and Peter stood, said, “looks lovely but I must leave”. Connie said, PETER, please” and Peter walked out saying, “I will be in touch”.
                        Lachlan was sitting, Connie standing and she yelled, “Peter” as tears trickled down her cheeks. She sat then stood. Lachlan also stood and Connie said, “please, I would like to be alone”. Lachlan answered, “I would like to stay, this cannot be easy for you”. A very angry sounding Connie spilling more tears shouted at him, “more than half my life has just walked out that door, leave, PLEASE leave” then the heaving sobs started and Lachlan took her into his arms.

Comment

Lachlan held her, wanted to hold her, knew he had to. She clung to him and he held on, the pain, the depth of her feelings almost frightening. Her hands, fingers digging into his back caused an insight he did not want to face; this woman he was holding had lost the only man she had loved, perhaps the only man she would ever love.
                          Time passed and her sobs diminished, her trembling lessened and there were almost no sounds of distress, her hands still clutched and Lachlan moved one of his hands to the back of her neck, his fingers barely touched when she re-acted, shrugged, pushed away from him and with a level of rancour which stunned him said, “I want to be alone, this is none of your business, please leave, NOW”. She walked around him, entered the house and he heard a door slam, assumed it was a bedroom door and left.

Comment

Sunday, Mo and I went sailing with Will and Dot. Dot often referred to herself as D’Artagnon, said that Mo, Will and I, all a year older than her, were the three musketeers. Will had bought the sailboat a couple of years before this, learned to sail and navigate, said that once the kids (they had three) were finished school, he and Dot were moving to one of the coasts and making the boat their home and the sea their playground.
                            We talked sailing, bridge, investments, ate a lunch of chicken sandwiches and potato chips then relaxed, Will with a beer and the rest of us with coffee. We had anchored near a small island, a good swimming spot which we would make use of.
                            While waiting for lunch to settle, Dot asked how Lachlan was progressing, actually said, “no doubt Connie is attractive but I fear his target might be out of range”. Will laughed, said, “Dot is learning to shoot, a sailing mag advises anyone interested in serious cruising must be prepared to deal with pirates, especially if cruising the Caribbean, we’re thinking of changing her name to “Annie”.
                            Will thought that Lachlan would eventually tire of the “fruitless” chase and Dot was of the same mind, said, “we do know there is a divorcee, attractive and much nearer his own age who will be happy
                            to console him”
                            Dot looked at me, “you know him better than most, will he quit” ? I shrugged, “not sure but I don’t think so, the thing is that he is not a kiss and tell guy, not saying he never speaks of past experiences but he skips the details, and, they seem to enjoy each others company”. My darling added, “could be it is not all about sex, I know very little about Connie’s marriage but she does light up when Lachlan is near and if she is in a sexless marriage, who knows, she does seem, let’s say, healthy, to me”.
                            Mo and I did not get home until ten, a note from Lachlan dropped through the mail box said, “see you at the store”. I handed the note to Mo and she said, “call him”, I asked, “why”(?), he says he will see me at the store and Mo said, “how many times has he left a note(?), God’s sake pick up the phone or I will”. So I called.

Comment

Lachlan answered and I said, “just a minute”, handed the phone to Mo. A slight hesitation before she took the receiver and said, “Lachlan, your note, is there something you needed” ? He said, “well no, not really, its, I ah, I met Connie’s husband and ehm”. Mo said, “Lachlan, why not come over, have a coffee, Fred and I are just home from sailing, sounds like something not quite right, c’mon the coffee will be ready when you get here”.
                              Mo, getting mugs out said, “why did you give the phone to me” ? I told her I wasn’t sure, added “when you said about his note, it being a first, I suddenly thought, bad news which I didn’t want to hear”. Mo said, “okay, it might not be bad but Lachlan meeting Connie’s husband, who knows(?), but he is coming over and husband of mine, we will listen together”.
                              Lachlan arrived, our main door open and he rapped on the screen door, “anyone home”(?) !! and in unison Mo and I yelled, “kitchen”. He did not look happy, sat and looked from me to Mo, fidgeted and Mo said, “you surely didn’t fight with Connie’s husband” and I immediately said, “definitely not otherwise we would be looking at two black eyes and a bloody nose”; I thought I was trying to keep it light and Mo glared daggers at me. She shook her head, disgust in her eyes then looked at Lachlan, said, “ignore him, obviously you are upset at something and perhaps you should explain”.
                              Lachlan nodded, said, “yes, I will and no, no fight he was very nice, I think, could I have a coffee”(?) and Mo pointed to the mug he had sitting in front of him, he sipped, continued, “I was with Connie, we were supposed to go out for breakfast, no, I thought I was taking her for breakfast” and Mo put a hand on his arm, said, “did you spend the night together”(?) and Lachlan said, “my God, no, no nothing like that has happened, c’mon she’s not, Jesus, no, look, Saturday we said we would meet for breakfast and I dressed, dress pants, blazer, you know a little drive that kind of thing but when I met Connie at the shop she was cleaning up and I was to help, she thought it funny that I was dressed up, anyway, we worked and, Connie made breakfast and I went back to my place to plan lunch, we were going to have lunch together but she called, said she had to cancel lunch because her husband was at the lake house, later, she called and asked me to come and meet him, it was a creepy feeling, you know, we, whether you believe me or not, have done nothing wrong, she is very clear about adultery, no way is, just no way”.
                              He drank his coffee, seemed lost in thought then said, very quietly, “he told Connie she could get an annulment and she is, not happy, God she is devastated, blames me, she pretty much told me to get lost and, I don’t know what to do, she was in a state when I left and I would like to call but maybe I have caused enough damage”.
                              The three of us sat, silent, possibly all wondering what to do. Mo spoke, “i’m going for a drive, going to visit Connie”. I said, “what are you going to say” and she looked at me as if I were a child, said, “the truth, my darling, tell her I heard she is upset and I am wondering if there is anything I can do”. She picked up her purse, took car keys off the hook and said, “don’t wait up”.

Comment

Working...
                              X