Work is starting on transferring Electric Scotland to SFU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work is starting on transferring Electric Scotland to SFU

We are now starting work on transferring our sites, ES.com, .net and .org and EC to Simon Fraser University.

The background to this is that on my demise I want the contents of the sites preserved for future generations. To that end I have decided to lave my company to the Scottish Studies Dept. of Simon Fraser University (SFU).

Work is now starting to transfer the servers to SFU. It will likely take a wee while to do this but the end result will be that our own local servers will go down and from then on the sites will be run by SFU.

There are several steps to this move. First we need to transfer all the content to SFU where they will then bring up a server to host the content. We will then test everything to ensure all is working ok. During this process we may need to update various programs to work under the new operating system.

Once we know all is working as it should there will be a final changeover of our DNS to point to SFU and when that is done we will then be working on the SFU servers.

After this we plan to use the students and lecturer in IT and Web Design to do a makeover of the site to ensure it is on a modern web platform making it good to view on mobile, tablet and desktop. The new platform will then allow us to give publishing rights to third parties to add content directly on the server.

So.. a journey has begun. we will do out utmost to ensure there is no disruption of service during this process. I'm not sure how long this will take as Steve will have to do some work on this and obviously SFU will also need to do work. The aim is to get it all up and running as soon as possible but that might take a month or more.

Will keep you updated on progress.

Alastair
Working...
X