Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scot Genealogy, i.e. Two Martyrs who died for their civil & religious beliefs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scot Genealogy, i.e. Two Martyrs who died for their civil & religious beliefs.

As some of our regulars on here know, I am working on my family's genealogy. Most of the kin come from England, Scotland, Ireland. I have two kinfolks named James Nisbet & his son, Captain John Nisbet, who evidently were called Martyrs because they died after their persecution, then execution, at the "hands" of the House of Stuart. Capt. John Nisbet was born at Loudon, Hardhill, Scotland, 1627-1685, married to Margaret Nisbet, born Law, she was born 1631. Lived to 1683. John's mother was Janet Gibson Nisbet, born Gordon, & his father was James Nisbet.

Capt. John was called John the Martyr. In Glen @ Kilmarnoch, he was executed April 14, 1683.

James Nisbet in Highside, was executed @ Glasgow June 11th 1684. It's a wonder they had children.

I have a photo of their stone marker, listing names of all the martyrs for religious & civil liberties, at that time in Scotland.

P.S. I am also distantly related to Daniel Boone, one of our most famous early frontiersmen. Find out about your own genealogy!!! It's fun & very satisfying to learn what our ancestors experienced. Joan

Re: Scot Genealogy, i.e. Two Martyrs who died for their civil & religious beliefs.

HI, all...I have found that once one gets "hooked" on genealogy, that it follows you all through your life. My own children are NOT interested in hearing any of the stories in regard to their "own" families/family. I ran across Oliver Cromwell in my tree just recently, & began worrying that I might be related to him. During Henry the 8th's reign, Cromwell went all over England, burning churches, etc. at Henry's behest. So...here's the best, I did find that I am NOT related to Cromwell. But distantly related to the Plantagenets, who were supposed to have one of the "bloodiest" reigns in their lifetime. I have gotten as far as Richard III. On my Irish side, I am related to the Talbots of Malahide Castle, nr Dublin. There was even a Col. Thomas Talbot, who went over to join Simcoe during battles in Canada. (not sure just what he did!) I can see you all now...heads nodding, people yawning...will sign off for now. Joan

Comment

Re: Scot Genealogy, i.e. Two Martyrs who died for their civil & religious beliefs.

I'm really not into genealogy but I am into history. That means if I knew an ancestor came from say Ayr in 1856 then I'd be interested in knowing more about Ayr and what it might have been like to live there in that time period.

Alastair

Comment

Yes, the back story is the most interesting aspect of genealogy: how did they live, how did they work, what did they eat, what did they know, why did they leave? And don't worry Joan - the young folks will come around later and thank you for the work you're doing now!

Comment

Originally posted by FriedaKateM View Post
          I ran across Oliver Cromwell in my tree just recently, & began worrying that I might be related to him. During Henry the 8th's reign, Cromwell went all over England, burning churches, etc. at Henry's behest. So...here's the best, I did find that I am NOT related to Cromwell.
          Joan, that would not have been the Oliver Cromwell who became "Lord Protector" (as in the English Civil War) he was not around in Henry VIII' time but much later. Henry "dissolved" the monasteries etc after he created the Church of England when the Pope would not grant him the divorce. I suspect 'your Cromwell" who you mention was "Thomas Cromwell" who was his 'chancellor' (I think) and even he fell out of favour with Henry. And from what I recall there is doubt that he was related to Oliver, or even the Oliver actually was a Cromwell at all...
          Sandy

Comment

HI, Sandy...I might have got "the wrong end of the stick" so to speak. Years ago I saw a series on telly in regard mainly to Henry the 8th. I just might have misunderstood, as remember a Cromwell who acted on Henry's behalf in burning churches, etc. Also did, upon working around in the Cromwells, find that there wasn't definite father to Cromwell. Some of this genealogy depends upon what "other people" make up their minds to put in, in regard to what they believe is the history of some of the folks. And on the Plantagenets it's really confusing!!! I got into another area instead of them, as it was driving me batty. (IF I wasn't already!!!???)

Thanks for your input. Joan

Comment

Joan, there was a movie in the late 1960's - A Man for All Seasons. It was the story of Thomas Cromwell and the final relationship with Henry.
              You must have some 'important' people in your family tree to be able to get back to those times...

Sandy

Comment

I thought A Man for All Seasons was about Sir Thomas More

Comment

Originally posted by miolchu View Post
                  I thought A Man for All Seasons was about Sir Thomas More
                  Yes you are correct. Cromwell was also a figure who 'loomed large' in the story.
                  Sandy

Comment

HI, guys...I have gobs of English, Scottish, & Irish history books around here, but still haven't looked up our "quandry" as above in regard to Oliver/and or Thomas Cromwell. I will get around to it one of these days....too preoccupied in working on the genealogy. Thanks, Joan

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                      Yes, the back story is the most interesting aspect of genealogy: how did they live, how did they work, what did they eat, what did they know, why did they leave? And don't worry Joan - the young folks will come around later and thank you for the work you're doing now!
                      Rick, I agree with your summation on our ancestors backgrounds.

After perusing many of the genealogy "Trees" on the web it would appear that they are just interested in recording "possible names" and relationships rather than gathering definitive knowlede of their actual family linkanges without that genuine written or documented proof of the real link. The greatest offenders..[just from my observations] are those from the USA, some of their family goupings run into 10's of thousands.

My cousin [who is the research guru] has a base of 7 family names..............going back to the late 1600's this translated to 1441 entries in total.

The oldest family entry is the late 1600's [Scotland--Fife] in Falkirk we go about 1780 [ratified as correct]

A couple of small samples---------------

Marriage 1 Kaitherine ADAMSON b: EST 1698 in Fife, Scotland
                      •Married: 29 May 1719 in St Edmonds, Auchterderran, Fife, Scotland 1
                      Children
                      1. Christian HOGGAN c: 1 Mar 1730 in Auchertool, Fife, Scotland

Sources:
                      1.Title: Marriage Register Scotland

--------------

•Name: Christian HOGGAN

Father: Andrew HOGGAN b: EST 1698 in Fife, Scotland
                      Mother: Kaitherine ADAMSON b: EST 1698 in Fife, Scotland

Marriage 1 John BETT c: 17 Feb 1723 in Crail, Fife, Scotland
                      •Married: 26 Dec 1754 in Auchtertool, Fife, Scotland 2
                      Children
                      1. Katherine (Catharine) BETT c: 23 Nov 1755 in Aberdour, Fife, Scotland
                      2. James BETT c: 16 Feb 1758 in Auchtertool, Fife, Scotland
                      3. Isobel BETT c: 2 Mar 1760 in Auchtertool, Fife, Scotland
                      4. Margaret BETT c: 5 May 1763 in Kinghorn, Fife, Scotland
                      5. Andrew Hoggan BETT b: 5 Sep 1767 in Aberdour, Fife, Scotland c: 13 Sep 1767 in Aberdour, Fife, Scotland
                      6. Christian BETT b: 30 Jun 1773 c: 12 Jul 1773 in Aberdour, Fife, Scotland

It seems this group moved around a fair amount........final destination in later years---through various marriages was Falkirk---still much research to do but probably they were fisher folk or laboured on the land----------------------------As Joan stated, the search is never ending, is rather addictive, to gain compehensive detail also entails some cost [[deep pockets are an advantage]

Comment

By the by, you were right, Sandy, in that it was Thomas Cromwell who went around on Henry the 8th's behest, burning monasteries, churches. All of this destruction because Henry wanted to divorce Anne Boleyn. I am attempting to absorb all of this history in the process of doing the genealogy. I did find something extremely interesting the other night. I am related by 9 generations to a Shawnee woman, named Tecumsepah Opessa. She was married at 20 to a guy named Thomas McKee, to whom I am related as well (Scot, or possibly Scot/Irish). So, if I suddenly do a war whoop...you guys will know it's in "my genes". Joan

Comment

HI, guys again....Just this past week discovered another Indian in my ancestory...his name is Isaac D. Youngblood, & during the American Civil War, he was involved in military cavalry tactics for the Confederates (our Southern states). Here's the quote re: his biography. Isaac D. Youngblood, Service record, Confederate Soldiers, Confederate Government. Year 1861 served as Private in Military Unit, i.e. the 1st Regiment Choctaw & Chickasaw Mounted Rifles. So, this is a different tribe altogether, as Tecumsepah was Shawnee. I have had in my past, people who told me I looked like an Indian, so now I find out!! Keep on doing genealogy, it's fun, but work too. Joan

Comment

Hi Joan,

Slightly "off topic" but i believe I have located a "Lookalike" for for your ancestral heritage. :cool::cool:

Gordon, :redrose::redrose:

Comment

Gordon...You are the "bee's knees"! Sometimes, not often, I wish I were younger. However, even when I was, I didn't have that long black hair as these cartoony folks had. I'm kinda lucky now to have thin, short darkish hair. Thanks for thinking of me. Your "Kemo sabe",( IF you all don't know, that's what the Lone Ranger used to call Tonto!) Joan

Comment

Working...
                              X