Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scot Genealogy, i.e. Two Martyrs who died for their civil & religious beliefs.

1. Scot Genealogy, i.e. Two Martyrs who died for their civil & religious beliefs.

As some of our regulars on here know, I am working on my family's genealogy. Most of the kin come from England, Scotland, Ireland. I have two kinfolks named James Nisbet & his son, Captain John Nisbet, who evidently were called Martyrs because they died after their persecution, then execution, at the "hands" of the House of Stuart. Capt. John Nisbet was born at Loudon, Hardhill, Scotland, 1627-1685, married to Margaret Nisbet, born Law, she was born 1631. Lived to 1683. John's mother was Janet Gibson Nisbet, born Gordon, & his father was James Nisbet.

Capt. John was called John the Martyr. In Glen @ Kilmarnoch, he was executed April 14, 1683.

James Nisbet in Highside, was executed @ Glasgow June 11th 1684. It's a wonder they had children.

I have a photo of their stone marker, listing names of all the martyrs for religious & civil liberties, at that time in Scotland.

P.S. I am also distantly related to Daniel Boone, one of our most famous early frontiersmen. Find out about your own genealogy!!! It's fun & very satisfying to learn what our ancestors experienced. Joan

2. Re: Scot Genealogy, i.e. Two Martyrs who died for their civil & religious beliefs.

HI, all...I have found that once one gets "hooked" on genealogy, that it follows you all through your life. My own children are NOT interested in hearing any of the stories in regard to their "own" families/family. I ran across Oliver Cromwell in my tree just recently, & began worrying that I might be related to him. During Henry the 8th's reign, Cromwell went all over England, burning churches, etc. at Henry's behest. So...here's the best, I did find that I am NOT related to Cromwell. But distantly related to the Plantagenets, who were supposed to have one of the "bloodiest" reigns in their lifetime. I have gotten as far as Richard III. On my Irish side, I am related to the Talbots of Malahide Castle, nr Dublin. There was even a Col. Thomas Talbot, who went over to join Simcoe during battles in Canada. (not sure just what he did!) I can see you all now...heads nodding, people yawning...will sign off for now. Joan

247 Mini Golf Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Re: Scot Genealogy, i.e. Two Martyrs who died for their civil & religious beliefs.

I'm really not into genealogy but I am into history. That means if I knew an ancestor came from say Ayr in 1856 then I'd be interested in knowing more about Ayr and what it might have been like to live there in that time period.

Alastair

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scot Genealogy, i.e. Two Martyrs who died for their civil & religious beliefs.

Yes, the back story is the most interesting aspect of genealogy: how did they live, how did they work, what did they eat, what did they know, why did they leave? And don't worry Joan - the young folks will come around later and thank you for the work you're doing now!

5. Thanks FriedaKateM thanked for this post.
    Like 1938 Observer, FriedaKateM liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FriedaKateM View Post
    I ran across Oliver Cromwell in my tree just recently, & began worrying that I might be related to him. During Henry the 8th's reign, Cromwell went all over England, burning churches, etc. at Henry's behest. So...here's the best, I did find that I am NOT related to Cromwell.
    Joan, that would not have been the Oliver Cromwell who became "Lord Protector" (as in the English Civil War) he was not around in Henry VIII' time but much later. Henry "dissolved" the monasteries etc after he created the Church of England when the Pope would not grant him the divorce. I suspect 'your Cromwell" who you mention was "Thomas Cromwell" who was his 'chancellor' (I think) and even he fell out of favour with Henry. And from what I recall there is doubt that he was related to Oliver, or even the Oliver actually was a Cromwell at all...
    Sandy

7. Re: Scot Genealogy, i.e. Two Martyrs who died for their civil & religious beliefs.

HI, Sandy...I might have got "the wrong end of the stick" so to speak. Years ago I saw a series on telly in regard mainly to Henry the 8th. I just might have misunderstood, as remember a Cromwell who acted on Henry's behalf in burning churches, etc. Also did, upon working around in the Cromwells, find that there wasn't definite father to Cromwell. Some of this genealogy depends upon what "other people" make up their minds to put in, in regard to what they believe is the history of some of the folks. And on the Plantagenets it's really confusing!!! I got into another area instead of them, as it was driving me batty. (IF I wasn't already!!!???)

Thanks for your input. Joan

Post Thanks / Like

Joan, there was a movie in the late 1960's - A Man for All Seasons. It was the story of Thomas Cromwell and the final relationship with Henry.
    You must have some 'important' people in your family tree to be able to get back to those times...

Sandy

9. Thanks FriedaKateM thanked for this post.
    Like FriedaKateM liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought A Man for All Seasons was about Sir Thomas More

11. Thanks FriedaKateM thanked for this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miolchu View Post
    I thought A Man for All Seasons was about Sir Thomas More
    Yes you are correct. Cromwell was also a figure who 'loomed large' in the story.
    Sandy

13. Thanks FriedaKateM thanked for this post.
  14. Re: Scot Genealogy, i.e. Two Martyrs who died for their civil & religious beliefs.

HI, guys...I have gobs of English, Scottish, & Irish history books around here, but still haven't looked up our "quandry" as above in regard to Oliver/and or Thomas Cromwell. I will get around to it one of these days....too preoccupied in working on the genealogy. Thanks, Joan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information