pdf books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pdf books

I've been posting up quite a few pdf books over the past few months. I actually have quite a large collection of pdf books and so rather than delaying the publishing of these books I've decided to simply place links to these books so you can download them.

For example I acquired books due to reading a reference to them by reading what is already up on the site. One such book was found by a reference in the chapter from "Domestic Life in Scotland, 1488 - 1688, Lecture VI - The Commonwealth and the Restoration.

In the second paragraph there is a reference to...

One would never suspect, from reading the Account Books of Sir John Foulis, of Ravelston, that he lived through a time whose tragedies have stamped themselves so deeply on Scottish memory. The same skies, the same alternations of rain and sunshine, saw the Covenanters exiled from human society, upheld through danger and privation by dark sayings of the Hebrew poets, and stung by their sufferings to an exaltation that was either prophecy or frenzy; and Foulis, in the friendliest good humour, making himself popular at horse races and penny weddings, dispensing drink-money to the midwife, and tossing a hansell with a kind word to "ye muckman that dights ye close."

I was intrigued and so found a pdf copy of the book which has been sitting on my hard disk for some years. So this week I made the book a link which brings up the pdf copy of the book.

In the Introduction in the book it says in part...

In issuing the Accounts of Sir John Foulis to the members of the Scottish History Society, the Council are carrying out the object for which the Society was formed, 'the discovery and printing ... of unpublished documents illustrative of the civil, religious, and social history of Scotland,’ and thanks are due to Dr. Foulis for allowing the contents of the account-books kept by his ancestor to be printed. It may not, however, be out of place to point out that though this volume contains simply the accounts of daily expenditure, not of a state department, but of an individual, it is specially valuable as throwing light on social life in Scotland two hundred years ago. Perhaps only the editor of such a work can fully realise how clear that light is, for he has to note with care every entry, and consider its value; the attentive reader will, however, find himself interested, nay, in some cases almost fascinated, by the undesigned touches erf nature which will be found, and by the revelations of the writer’s inner life and feelings to be met with in entries made day by day for his own use and satisfaction, and by reason of his methodical nature, without any thought that they might in after years see the light, and, better still, do something to increase the light.

Diaries are valuable, but they are usually intended for preservation, with the apprehension that they will influence the mind of the reader in forming an opinion of the writer. This apprehension may not be recognised by the writer, and it may not, as far as he is aware, restrain him from using frankness; but, on the other hand, a diary may be made a vehicle for presenting a very unreal picture of a man, of his actions, and of his motives. From such faults account-books are from their very nature free.

Sir John Foulis possessed the qualifications to make a daily summary of his life and actions interesting and instructive; he presents us with facts, and such facts as fill up the details of a busy, cheerful, and well-ordered life. He belonged to a class which took its tone from the court, and gave a tone to the trading class, then rapidly rising in the social scale. He held an official position in Edinburgh, and he had also a country house not far from the city, and he thus attended to his public and private duties both in town and country, and found relaxation in country sports and in urban conviviality: he had dealings with all sorts and conditions of men, and recorded these dealings with scrupulous minuteness. Nor do we only meet with dry facts; as we follow his life day by day, and year by year, we learn to know him as the husband, the parent, the friend, the employer, and to feel an interest which puts life into the picture, and adds to its power. Married four times, and having a large family by his first wife, there are no evidences of family friction; his children congratulate him on the occasions of his later marriages, as we learn from the drink-money given to the bearers of their letters. The connections of his wives are his companions in his convivial hours, and he does his duty by such stepchildren as the widows he marries bring under his care. Of the welfare of his own children he is most careful. The eldest son, Archibald, known by the name of Primrose instead of Foulis, died in youth, before he had entered on the management of the Dunipace estate, which he inherited from his mother’s father, Sir Archibald Primrose. On his death his next brother, George Foulis, became George Primrose, and was served heir to Dunipace. His position was peculiar; the heir of his father’s honours as Baronet of Ravel-ston, his succession to it would extinguish the name of ‘ Foulis, of the house Ravelston.’ Sir John clearly felt this, and though he was powerless to avert the absorption of 6 Foulis of Ravel-ston1 in c Primrose of Dunipace,’ he set to work to found a family of Foulis, who would be known as ‘ of Woodhall.’ To accomplish this he let Ravelston, on which he had spent much money and care, and having purchased Woodhall from the heirs of John Cuninghame of Enterkin (whose widow was his third wife), he devoted the latter part of his life to improving the estate, which had been much encumbered and injured by the debts of its former possessor. William, his second surviving son, was the destined owner of Woodhall, and there after his marriage he lived with his father. We shall speak more of him later on.

Before proceeding to consider in detail the various subjects brought under our notice in the Accounts, it may be well to note the valuable light this volume throws on the manners and customs of the day. It affords additional proof of the exact knowledge of Sir Walter Scott, and his correctness in the details he gives of bygone social and public life. The social customs are particularly worth noting—the free intercourse between the laird and the peasant, and the laird’s interest in his tenants’ affairs, are frequently shown. Again, the city life was very different from what it is now. There were no select clubs, no palatial hotels; the baronet and the shopkeeper settled a bargain in the backshop of the latter, and he dealt with his uncles, the apothecary and the merchant, and with their sons after them, and yet Sir John was a proud man, proud of his name, of his lineage, of his title, and of his duly registered coat of arms,1 but his pride was healthy, and he did not dread a poor relation coming between the wind and his nobility. Again, he was of a cheerful nature; he enjoyed the frequent potations of claret, sack, canary, mum beer, herb ale, warm wine and ale, and occasionally rare sorts of wine, in which he and his friends indulged. We need not infer that this denoted an intemperate mode of life—it was the usual life of the day. Meat and drink were taken in the taverns of the city, and in company with friends, more frequently than under the family mahogany ; it was like the modern continental mode of living, and like it did not lead to intemperance. The bill for sack sometimes shows, like that of Falstaff, a minimum of bread, but early hours were kept; beverages such as tea, coffee, and chocolate, though not unknown, were as yet but rarely used. Sir John was not only a cheerful compotator, he was a lover of childhood. We have presented to us outlines of merry-meetings, rippling over with the laughter of boys and girls, in earlier years his children, and later on his grandchildren. They went with him to Leith races, and to see the wondrous elephant then on show in Edinburgh. He bought for them sweetmeats, shortbread, fruit, a football, chirping-birds, drums, trumpets, golf-clubs and balls; a kind father and grandfather, and a loving one, not without cares and anxieties; the boy he sends to sea has a Bible and a good book to take with him in his chest, and his frequent letters (for which postage had to be paid and entered) show that he does not forget his home. One boy he loses by death—at the age of eighteen : he says little of him, but leaves us from what we can gather to suspect that, as an imbecile, he must have been a sorrow to his father, who yet did his duty to ‘ poor Adam.’ Other children also he lost, in years for which the Accounts are missing. His eulogia of his wives, to be found in the Appendix, were written, doubtless, to be read by others, but let us believe they were sincere; for there is no trace in the Accounts of any discord between wife and husband. As a friend he must have been esteemed, for he was often engaged in settling disputes, in arranging bargains, and in watching over the interests of the children of such friends as he lost by death, and here also the leading feature of the age presents itself. We read in the old accounts of a London city parish of money spent at the c Cardinal’s Hat ’ for wine to bring about an 6 atonement ’ between the parson and the people; so we find Sir John healed quarrels by inviting the belligerents to share a bottle of wine, and under the genial influence produced to shake hands.

I trust I have said enough to show that this volume contains more than a dry statement of income and expenditure, and more than an unarranged mass of quaint words. The reader should attack it with the set determination that he will gather useful and often rare illustrations of the life that was led two hundred years ago, and thus be the better able to understand more clearly the history of the past, and its effect on the present.

I added a link to this book in the second paragraph of the page at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/history/domestic/domesticlife6.htm

Some of the books I've put up on the site were actually a very poor and hard to read scan. In those cases I have unpicked the book and edited each page to try and make them more readable. I have to say the companies that scan in these books obviously do not do any quality control as these scans should have been rejected and re-scanned. Some of them are still a challenge to read but in my view the content is well worth the effort. That said I believe that researchers will make the effort but most won't. That's the reason Electric Scotland is here as we're an educational and research site so I believe it's incumbent on myself to make these available although only a tiny number might read them.

Alastair
Working...
X