"geysers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "geysers"

The spelling might no be correct but what i'm looking for is the time of year when we (laddies in Perth) went door to door and the first song was, "tramp, tramp, tramp the boys are marching, we are the geysers at your door, if ye dinnae let us in we wull bash yer windaes in and you'll never see the geysers anymore".

Re: "geysers"

That sounds like Halloween.

Alastair

Comment

Yes Halloween but it's usually spelled "guisers" now, I think.

Elda

Comment

That's the way I would spell it. Probably from "disguise".

Sandy

Comment

I have a friend in Glasgaw area who spells it "guisers" too. However it's spelled, it sounds like fun!

Comment

Google search gives several links, but the following is relevant to Scotland.....

http://www.siliconglen.scot/Scotland/12_19.html

BTW - your spelling is the way some locals would say the name Glesgie !!

Ranald
            Last edited by Ranald; 20 November 2015, 10:21.

Comment

loved that post and it reminded me of the "turnips", seem to recall they were "neeps", "swedes" were far tastier, especially when stolen from Henderson's farm.

Comment

I remember carving out a turnip the way they do pumpkins today.

Alastair

Comment

pumpkins are far easier

Comment

You do not mention the area is where 'Henderson's farm' is located....

Just a thought....

Ranald

Comment

Ranald: did the post and later had a re-think....Henderson's Farm, Perth, Crieff Road, my family lived in Ruthven Place, across a field from Pullers dye works but the swedes came from my Dad's garden or one of the others, almost sure the Munro's had a garden. Now houses where the farm was. The farm had a field with two hills, great for sledging, the lower hill was most popular and the start of the run would be pure ice. Hockey team had a lot of Canadians and I do remember names, George Leonard in goal, Jimmy Ross defense and Sam McNabney...mibee the spelling is wrong. A shop at the corner or Atholl Street and Mevthen Road was where my grandfather worked, he was a kilt maker, set up in the window so people could watch him but that was before I was born. Saint played at Muirton Park, wasnae seats at that time.

Comment

Working...
                      X