Canadian Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Economy

The Canadian economy is taking a hit mainly due to the fall in oil price. I note that we were at parity with the US dollar but now have fallen some 30% in value.

This all means that retail prices are going up quite a bit and the food bill for families are getting a lot higher.

It seems to me that a lot of the issues are down to the way Canada works. For example we spend billions to import petrol whereas we should be independent for petrol. We still have not built that pipe line to the east or west so our oil is landlocked. We can only sell our oil to the US and as it's our only market we get a even lower price for it.

Then to be frank our tourism market should be earning us billions more than we currently make. But we seem to employ idiots that couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

Then Canada could grow a lot more of our own food but again that industry is not doing as well as it should. Just one wee example of this is our Strawberry crop which is a lot smaller than it should be. I noted the UK's use of poly tunnels to greatly extend their growing season. Here in Canada we don't seem to do this so why not?

Then the way we purchase our drugs is also costing us billions. A far better procurement system could make a huge difference.

Then we don't seem to want to question what the private sector are doing at it seems to me a 30% reduction in the looney should make our exports 30% more competitive yet it seems to me our exports are hardly moving at all. Why is that?

I am already getting a bit fed up with our new Liberal government as they don't seem to be doing anything and they are already good at not answering questions.

I also note that I sent three emails to the old Prime Minister where each one was acknowledged and I actually got an answer to two of them from his staff. I've sent two emails to our new Prime Minister neither of which have been acknowledged.

The new budget is not being announced until March this year and many are calling for them to move this up. The Liberals are also holding their own special conference where I note that press have been excluded. So much for having a more open government.

So troubling times ahead but how do you actually change all this?

Alastair

Re: Canadian Economy

I just heard on the news today that the IS planing meeting has not invited Canada to participate despite them being the only other country than the US flying bombing runs to both Iraq and Syria.

The press are accusing the Canadian government about lack of transparency.

Alastair

Comment

Young Trudeau committed to remove Canadian Jets from the "fight" so why should we be invited to the talks...?

Sandy

Comment

Well there are other nations without any Jets so why were they invited?

Alastair

Comment

Quite simple, he upset the US...

Comment

Good points Alastair. The so-called Trudeau II "honeymoon" is starting to frazzle and Canadians are about to get a lesson in governance by Facebook. The people who influence Trudeau's policies are not feet-on-the-ground workers or desperate seniors who have been cast off so practical economic considerations are ignored. Rough years ahead, I fear!

Comment

It's actually quite difficult to get a clear picture on our oil industry. It seems we import billions of oil into Quebec and New Brunswick for our refineries. I don't actually understand why we don't build refineries in Alberta and refine our own petrol. So we cut our imports by billions and potentially cut our petrol costs significantly. But we need to be able to export our oil outside the US and that's why we need a way to get our oil to the coasts.

So all this seems obvious so what am I missing?

Alastair

Comment

The same oil can be upgraded to many chemicals such as is done in Sarnia's chemical valley, so why not build more chemical plants and upgrade it to a more valuable product than crude. Guess what, that might also create more jobs too. And the pipeline does go as far as Montreal. This is what Harper could not see.

Cheers,

Hugh

Comment

This has been going on for years and I simply don't understand why we haven't made more progress.

Alastair

Comment

Tell you what gets to me in Australia. They can pipe natural gas across the whole continent but they can't pipe water!!!?????? Go figure!

Elda

Comment

I think Canada and Australia have a lot of similarities Elda. We're both mineral wealthy so likely suffering in a similar way right now. I do know Canada has more fresh water than any other country in the world although we do seem to have problems in some parts of the country in supplying it to some local communities.

Alastair

Comment

There's a very good summary of the pros and cons of building refinery capacity in this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/05...n_1539701.html. It's actually quite complex economically and many other primary production industries suffer from the same problems.

Comment

Thanks Rick... very interesting.

Alastair

Comment

There is a group in Sarnia trying to get provincial support for a refinery in Sarnia but the Liberal government is not responding. I think gasoline exports to the US would be profitable.

Hugh

Comment

The thing that concerns me is that we have no way to get our oil outside North America. I mean if we could get it to the East we'd open up Europe and Africa as a market and if we could get it to the West we'd open up Asia as a market.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                              X