presenting a shamrock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• presenting a shamrock

Did a bit of reading in regards John McCormack which led me to "The Minstrel Boy" which led me to the late Queen Mum and I read where, every year on St. Patrick's Day, she presented a shamrock to the Irish Regiment. If anyone knows about this I would like to know more; was the shamrock a carving, one plucked from the ground or something altogether different ?

Re: presenting a shamrock

I think real shamrocks... see...

Alastair

Comment

Thank you Alistair, I had no idea.....I am not exactly a royalist but the lady was very special.

Comment

Well of course she was Scottish and loved horse racing and she lov ed her wee castle up in the north of Scotland. Castle May?

See http://www.electricscotland.com/history/women/wih20.htm

Alastair

Comment

I am no longer sure of where she was born, three versions of her birth are mentioned on a site I visited, two separate places in England, both near to where her family (her Mother for sure) were staying and another has her born in the ambulance which was taking her Mum to the hospital...her Father became the Duke (mibee Earl) of Strathmore.....could be all wrong but no my fault, it's an age thing.

Comment

Working...
          X