MIDGES VERSUS MOSQUITOES....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDGES VERSUS MOSQUITOES....

Hey all.....I just might be dumb on some things, but wanted to ask (IF haven't done so previously?!), is a midge the same as a mosquito? We have mosquitoes in droves "out in the country" (like in Indiana). However here in town, there aren't so many, or else I just don't experience going out at night time. So, is the midge a mosquito??? Some of you Scots out there should be able to advise me of this important fact. Years ago when I & my family with three kids went to Oak Island off Nova Scotia, we did experience droves of mosquitoes in the day-time. I looked at my 2nd son, who had fixed his hoodie by bringing up the hood as tight as possible, & of course zipping it up. Hoodie was dark green. He had thousands of mosquitoes hanging on his back!! So this variety was named Canadian mosquitoes, what variety are the midges in Scotland?? Sincerely....Joan

Re: MIDGES VERSUS MOSQUITOES....

I don't actually know for certain if midges are from the mosquito family or not but the text below would tend to indicate they are not...

Biting midges are the smallest of the flies that bite humans in Scotland. Mosquitoes, clegs and blackflies will also bite man but in large areas of Scotland the most troublesome flies are the midges. Most biting midges are about 2mm (V12") long and have wings which, when they are at rest, are folded flat, one over the other, on their backs. The biting midges belong to the family Ceratopogonidae which has 152 species in Britain. Most of the species in this Family feed on the blood of other insects such as caterpillars, craneflies, and mosquitoes. For example, one species feeds from the wing veins of dragonflies and lacewings. Another species feeds from the thorax of mayflies. Other species are predatory, feeding on small insects; the females of some species will eat the males with which they are mating. The species which bite man all belong to the genus Culicoides; most members of this genus feed on the blood of warm-blooded animals. Culicoides is a world-wide genus with hundreds of species. Of the 50 species of this genus recorded in Britain 37 species occur in Scotland (Table 1). Tropical Culicoides species spread both human and animal parasites and diseases. In Britain, midges do not transmit diseases to humans but they are vectors of several animal diseases such as sweet itch in horses.

More information can found at:
    http://www.snh.org.uk/publications/on-line/advisorynotes/29/29.htm

Hope that helps.

Alastair

Comment

I think midges are more like black flies, Culicomorpha spp. Wretched, evil, relentless, tiny little bloodsuckers that buzz through the smallest screen and attack without mercy. They make summer hell on livestock and wildlife too. I'd rather have neither but would take a mosquito over a black fly any day. The only good thing about black flies is that they inspired this great Canadian song of the backwoods: .

Comment

I don't know if this information is useful or not:-) but I can walk through a swarm of midgies and they don't bother me but mosquitoes bite me.

Elda

Comment

There has to be a response to this but I am not brave enough!!!
          Sandy

Comment

HI, all again...NOW I & my family HAVE experienced black flies. One of my sons (now 52, then a teenager) had a few swollen glands, (although I honestly can't remember where). At any rate, he said he thought he had some kind of disease/illness. I was bitten by black fly, & there was a trickle of blood from my forehead. Considering that IF I notice mosquitoes, black flies, or whatever, I use a repellant. The whole subject is hilarious....when it's not happening to YOU!!! I am in AC at the present time, as the heat is moving in. I haven't had central AC ever, & especially at night, really am glad. Sooooo, SMILES to all...signing off pour maintenant...Joan

Comment

Yes indeed on the biting black flies. Mosquitoes merely sting, suck and scratch. Black flies eat you alive, one tiny bite at a time. If midges don't bite, bring them on!

Comment

Midges DO bite but just not as `sharply` as mossies. More like the `no see ems` that are in Ontario...
                I am just back from a 4 day trip in glorious warm (for Scotland) weather in the Western Isles and though we did not see any `swarms` of midges my wife has a few visible bite marks. We are just coming into the `season` for them.
                Sandy

Comment

Thanks Sandy, I was afraid it was too good to be true!

Comment

Originally posted by sandyc View Post
                    There has to be a response to this but I am not brave enough!!!
                    Sandy
                    Sandy, It could be "fools rush in where angels fear to tread"

Gordon.:angelic:

Comment

Just read that there are 48 species of midges... So somewhere one or more is / are bound to get to you.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                      X