Waiting for DNA results from ANCESTRY.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting for DNA results from ANCESTRY.com

As am working diligently on my genealogy, I have nearly 14,000 people on my website, although NOT all of these are related to me. However, I did do the DNA test, when they had a sale on it, & am now waiting for my results. IF I am correct in my figuring, I am mainly English, Scot, Irish, & a few other nationalities, which I do not know. I had an optometrist tell me a while ago, during my nursing school attendance, that he thought I would have come from around the Mediterranean, as I HAD dark hair & eyes. IF he could see me now!!!??!! Will report here, when I get the chart, or what-ever it is. All of us will now hold our breath.....Joan :shamrock:

Re: Waiting for DNA results from ANCESTRY.com

I got my DNA test from Family Tree DNA. However I received very extensive genealogy on my line from John Henderson who believes I'm actually a McMillan from Argyll although for some time he thought I was actually a Boyd. It turned out to be a real detective story.

You can see my genealogy at http://www.electricscotland.net/genealogy.htm

The DNA showed more matches from England that from anywhere else.

Alastair

Comment

I noticed that your Dad was living in Plant Street when he got married. This was just around the corner from where my parents moved to when I was 2 in 1947. I'm sitting here trying to remember the name of the street.....I know it was number 6 but the name escapes me at the moment. I drove past there about 10 years ago when I was over there just out of curiosity but it's all gone. They were very nice tenements with tiled closes, stained glass windows on the stairs and lovely wooden bannisters. I particularly remember that our door had an oval stained glass window depicting a boy fishing. I was about 9 when we moved from there. Just remembered the name, Craigmore Street. It was the eastern edge of Dennistoun. Parkhead Cross was within walking distance.

Comment

My folks took me to see their home in Glasgow and it was a semi-detached house and I do remember stained Glass window in the door.

My father came from the Hoginfield area of Glasgow and my mother from Yoker. I mind there was a huge rhubarb field up from Hoginfield Loch.

That's about all I remember.

Alastair

Comment

I remember the rhubarb field too. It's long gone of course. Houses were built there years ago.

Elda

Comment

It can be quite a shock when you go back after many years only to find big changes. I mind when I was at school at Dollar Academy we used to go to a special area for picnic teas where the river was deep enough for swimming. When I went back years later it had been converted to a reservoir.

Alastair

Comment

Originally posted by FriedaKateM View Post
              As am working diligently on my genealogy, I have nearly 14,000 people on my website, although NOT all of these are related to me. However, I did do the DNA test, when they had a sale on it, & am now waiting for my results. IF I am correct in my figuring, I am mainly English, Scot, Irish, & a few other nationalities, which I do not know. I had an optometrist tell me a while ago, during my nursing school attendance, that he thought I would have come from around the Mediterranean, as I HAD dark hair & eyes. IF he could see me now!!!??!! Will report here, when I get the chart, or what-ever it is. All of us will now hold our breath.....Joan :shamrock:
              As of the past few days...I finally did receive my DNA results!!!

Feel that it is a tad bit more general for me than had thought, but here goes.....Region is Europe- 100%, IRELAND - 39%, EUROPE WEST 30%, SCANDINAVIA- 24%,

IBERIAN PENINSULA -4%, GREAT BRITAIN - 2%, ITALY/GREECE - <1% And that's it. I have had many folks in my genealogy who appear to be IRISH, but I believe that the Europe West might include Scotland myself. According to my genealogy there's a lot of Scots! My kids are disappointed in our Native American lack.

So, this was it. I did go on Ancestry in order to check my DNA against matches, & I appear to have some close "cousins", while also some 4th & 5th ones as well.

So that's the ending of my DNA research. Take care to all. Joan PS: on my genealogy I have over 20,000 folks, although not each one is related, but might be a link between. :shamrock:

Comment

I don't think Europe west includes Scotland. It's more likely that the Great Britain percentage includes Scotland. That was 13% in mine but Europe west was only 1%. I know that my grandmother on my fathers side was a McLardy, a sept of the Macdonalds so this probably accounts for my 13% Great Britain. Wish they'd broken that up into Scotland, England & Wales.............maybe even Picts, Anglo Saxon etc.

Elda

Comment

Well, Elda...My maternal grandparents did emigrate to the USA in 1907. He was from Sussex, around Brighton, and she was from Chelsea in London. So, I was able to hear their English accents. My grand-dad died when I was 17. My grandmother died in about 1962, but obviously (after knowledge gained) she died of Alzheimer's. So did my uncle, their youngest child. I am pleased with my DNA as I have already been in touch with a 3rd cousin in England. It's quite fun to see the percentages. Take care, Joan

Comment

Working...
                  X