• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newsletter 4th November 2016

For the latest news from Scotland see our ScotNews feed at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/

Electric Scotland News

PIPES OF CHRISTMAS ANNUAL CONCERTS RETURN FOR 18TH SEASON IN NEW YORK AND NEW JERSEY ON DECEMBER 17 AND 18

NEW YORK, NY, November 3, 2016 –

The Pipes of Christmas annual concerts return for an eighteenth season with performances in New York on Saturday, December 17 at 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. at Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church, and in Summit, New Jersey on Sunday, December 18 at 3:00 p.m. at Central Presbyterian Church.

The festive concerts, produced by the Clan Currie Society, offer a traditional Celtic interpretation of the holiday season with holiday favorites such as “O Come, O Come Emmanuel”, “Joy to the World”, and “Amazing Grace”, all performed live on pipes, drums, harp, fiddle, organ and brass, accompanied by readings taken from Scottish, Irish, and Welsh literature.

Honorary Chairs for the concert include The Hon. Antonia Romeo – British Consul General in New York and renowned fashion designer and tartan author and aficionado, Jeffrey Banks.

Featured performers include James Robinson from the film “Braveheart,” New England fiddle champion Paul Woodiel, Riverdance uilleann piper and flutist Christopher Layer, Gaelic Mod champion harpist Jennifer Port of Golspie, Scotland, the Solid Brass ensemble and the Pipe Major Kevin Ray Blandford Memorial Pipe Band from Redlands, California.

The 2016 concerts will also debut two world premiere compositions. The “Old Bard of Stilligarry,” composed by Eyler Coates of New Orleans, LA is a piece for Scottish harp and chamber instruments. The work was composed for the Society through a songwriting competition sponsored by the Scottish Harp Society of America. The title refers to the township of Stilligarry on the Isle of South Uist in the Outer Hebrides. For some 200 years, successive generations of MacMhuirich (the Gaelic equivalent of “Currie,”) served as Hereditary Bards to the MacDonalds of Clanranald.

The “John Muir Suite,” composed by Steve Gibb of Inverness, Scotland, pays tribute to the life of Scottish naturalist John Muir. The new work has been commissioned in honor of the Centennial of the US National Parks.

This past summer, the Clan Currie Society partnered with the US National Park Service to mark their centennial year. The Society’s exhibition, “The Life and Legacy of John Muir,” was on display at the Ellis Island Immigration Museum from April 6 through Labor Day. Attendance figures during this period exceeded one million visitors, making Tartan Day on Ellis Island one of the largest Tartan Day events in the world.

Proceeds from the Pipes of Christmas support an extensive music scholarship program, which includes annual gifts to the National Piping Centre and the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland in Glasgow, the Gaelic College of Nova Scotia, and Lyon College in Batesville, Arkansas. Proceeds also support the Society’s sponsorship of the US National Scottish Harp Championship, the Gaelic Literature Competition at the Royal National Mod, and an annual academic research prize at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig, Scotland’s Gaelic college on the Isle of Skye.

The Society also recently donated two Scottish harps to Quinnipiac University in Hamden, CT in support of their Celtic music education program.

The concert is made possible by generous gifts from the Gaelic College of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, the Grand Summit Hotel in Summit, New Jersey, and Celtic Life Magazine.

In addition to the Pipes of Christmas and Tartan Day on Ellis Island, the Clan Currie Society is the Title Sponsor of the US National Scottish Harp Championship. The Society is also a sponsor of the Royal National Mod and hosts a number of Celtic music and Gaelic singing events at the Seaside Highland Games in Ventura, California, the Scotland Games in Scotland, Connecticut, and the Clan Currie Culture Tent at the Central Virginia Highland Games in Richmond, Virginia.

Concert Information

PIPES OF CHRISTMAS

Saturday, December 17 at 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
    Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church
    921 Madison Avenue (at 73rd Street)
    New York, NY 10021

Sunday, December 18 at 3:00 p.m.
    Central Presbyterian Church
    70 Maple Street
    Summit, NJ 07901

Get Social
    www.facebook.com/ThePipesofChristmas

Ticket Information
    General admission tickets, priced at $60, are available by mail via order form found online at www.pipesofchristmas.com. Tickets are also available through SmartTix by visiting SmartTix.com or calling (212) 868-4444. Reserved seating options are also available.

Pioneer Quest
    I spent some time this week viewing the series Pioneer Quest which is based in Canada. If you Google it you'll find the whole series to view on the web. I had watched this a number of years ago and so am enjoying watching it again. I found it due to watching the other series, "American Frontier House", which you can also Google.

Misc
    Was going to head to the US for a visit but discovered my passport had expired and so have now got the appropriate forms and new pictures and handed it in today to Service Canada. They tell me to give it up to 5 weeks but they said I'd likely get the new passport in around 2 weeks.

I may have mentioned that my car gets a flat battery now and again due to my trunk lid opening and thus draining the battery. I went into the car dealership and they think it's because my neigbours have a new car of the same make and when they use their remote to open their trunk it's also opening mine. So... my car is going into them on Friday where they will reset the remote to see if that fixes the problem.

I also went into the new Dutch Market in Chatham and they are clearly doing much more business as the car park is pretty full and it's a much larger car park than they had at the old store. They have an eat in cafe and a buffet of a selection of hot food and a salad bar. I tried the hot buffet but from my personal point of view I found it very expensive and the food wasn't that brilliant so I won't be using it again. I did however find that they had a new line of square bacon so I bought 250g to try it out. They were meant to be getting in black pudding but still not arrived. The girl told me she had been asked for it a number of times so they're going to get it in when they find a supplier.

I also got a few comments about cutting down my tree in the back garden. The point was that the bark was stripped of on the bottom six foot or so and I got both the council and a commercial tree cutter to examine it and they both said it should come down as it was a danger to the house. It was expensive being $2,000 to get it cut down and remove and like a lot of work in Canada I paid cash and thus avoided the tax. I am aware this kind of deal does go on all over the world but I may have commented that this in normal in Canada whereas elsewhere it's more of an exception and you usually need to ask if there is a deal to be had.

Brexit
    I also note with interest that the High Court in England has ruled that parliament must vote on activating article 50. This is of course a blow to the Government and the majority that voted to leave. You can read more about this at: http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-bri...-idUKKBN12Y11D

I have already stated several times that I am personally in favour of us coming out of the EU and in other newsletters have tried to show that there is nothing to fear about us exiting. However I recognise that a lot of others are terribly afraid so no doubt this will be encouraging news for them.

Scottish News from this weeks newspapers
    Note that this is a selection and more can be read in our ScotNews feed on our index page where we list news from the past 1-2 weeks. I am partly doing this to build an archive of modern news from and about Scotland as all the newsletters are archived and also indexed on Google and other search engines. I might also add that in newspapers such as the Guardian, Scotsman, Courier, etc. you will find many comments which can be just as interesting as the news story itself and of course you can also add your own comments if you wish.

Ruth Davidson named politician of the year
    Ruth Davidson has become the first Conservative to be named as Scotland's Politician of the Year.

Read more at:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...itics-37797019

Ancient potions and cures of the Highlands and Islands
    From otter skin to dung, mice hearts, toads and carrots, the Highlands and Islands have a potent history of natural remedies.

Read more at:
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/ancient...ands-1-4271539

Edinburgh scientists mark decade of nanotech research
    Edinburgh's Safenano centre has been researching the risks of nanotechnology for a decade.

Read more at:
    http://www.scotsman.com/business/com...arch-1-4271537

After nine years NHS buck stops with Sturgeon
    The First Minister can only claim to be the health service’s protector with policies that address the crisis identified by Audit Scotland

Read more at:
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/health/...geon-1-4272767

Plenty more fish in the sea loch
    By Douglas Fraser

Read more at:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-37806367

River Tweed to star in BBC One Scotland series
    A new six-part BBC One Scotland documentary is to focus on the River Tweed and the people who live and work alongside it.

Read more at:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...tland-37822595

What has Holyrood done in the last 20 years?
    The achievements of the Scottish Parliament over its two decade-long existence have been called into question

Read more at:
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/politic...ears-1-4273261

SNP donor Brian Souter says Brexit is not that big a deal
    SNP donor Sir Brian Souter has challenged Nicola Sturgeon’s claims that Brexit would devastate Scotland’s economy

Read more at:
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/politic...deal-1-4276036

Sturgeon welcomes Brexit court ruling
    Nicola Sturgeon has welcomed as hugely significant a court ruling that parliament must vote before the UK can start the process of leaving the EU.

Read more at:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-37859595

SNP budget problems not down to Brexit
    Budget problems look more like the cost of the SNP’s spending free-for-all than the effect of Brexit writes Bill Jamieson

Read more at:
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion...exit-1-4276340

Hawaii campaigners bid to save Clyde-built sailing ship
    The 138-year-old sailing ship, built in Port Glasgow, could be scuttled if the campaign fails.

Read more at:
    http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/peo...ship-1-4276858

Electric Canadian

MacDougall, Sir Patrick Leonard
    Creator of the Canadian Army

Found a mention of him in another publication and so did a search and found this wee biography which you can read at:http://www.electriccanadian.com/forc...ll_patrick.htm

Chronicles of Canada
    Added Volume 3 - The Founder of New France

You can read this at: http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...onicles03a.pdf

The Story of a Soldier's Life
    I published this book on the ElectricScotland.com web site but it is actually of great interest as this person was the one responsible for taking the army to quell the trouble in the Red River Valley and you can find a significant account of this in volume 2. He was also most complimentary about the Canadian army.

A report from Global Tourism Watch a publication of the Canadian Tourism Commission (2014)
    2014 UK Summary Report

The Canadian Tourism Commission (CTC) began conducting the annual Global Tourism Watch (GTW) program in 2007. The primary purpose of this research program is to expand the base of consumer-based intelligence in twelve core markets around the world.

The importance of advocacy cannot be underestimated. Whether in-person, or increasingly through social media and online channels, it is by far the biggest influence on where travellers decide to take a vacation. Trusted sources are far more effective than traditional advertising in driving consideration, though it may have a role in terms of awareness, and therefore affecting the early stages of the path-to-purchase. Travel agents still have an important role to play in guiding the potential long-haul traveller, as do travel guide books – over a third of UK travellers (37%) used a travel agent to book their flights. Nevertheless, the general trend indicates that the role of travel agents has been declining steadily over the past decade or so.

A third (34%) of recent visitors to Canada (past three years) travelled here primarily to visit friends or family – significantly higher than the average for international long-haul travel (21%). The significance of family-ties is further exemplified by the fact that more than half of recent visitors to Canada (57%) have relatives living here. These connections present an opportunity to promote Canada through advocacy, and also provide a core of visitors who are less susceptible to economic circumstance, changing patterns and preferences for vacation experiences and marketing efforts from competing destinations. That said, Canada’s offer has to be able to compete against the competition on its own merits, and appeal to those who do not already have a good reason to make the trip across the Atlantic.

Canada’s position in the competitive set drops to fourth when UK travellers are asked about their perceptions around value. Compared to the US, Australia and New Zealand, Canada is less likely to be perceived as a place with unique features that other destinations don’t offer, or a destination with the travel experiences I am specifically looking for.

As a result, when compared to those same destinations, travellers are reluctant to agree that Canada is a place I would pay a little more for, and if ‘money were no object’, UK travellers were less inclined to agree that Canada would be a dream destination I would visit.

Canada’s average rating across all value attributes remained relatively unchanged in 2014 (7.1), but the notable shift has been the significant improvement in the scores for the US – which now places above all other destinations in this competitive set.

While the top attraction for UK long-haul visitors was visiting historic sites (46%), those visiting Canada were more likely to have visited a Provincial or National Park (53%), especially those aged 55 years or older (62%).

Visiting historical places of interest was revealed as a key product interest in the 2012 survey of long-haul UK travellers, consistent with travellers in Canada’s other international markets. In this area, Canada faces a challenge on two fronts: those places of interest are less well-known to travellers in Canada’s international markets; and, they are spread far apart.

While Canada has been successful in marketing this natural asset, on a cautionary note, travellers are looking for a broad range of experiences on their travels in order to derive what they consider to be value for their money. Findings from the 2012 GTW suggest that the availability of a broad range of attractions is important in the selection of a destination. In 2014, the study confirms that Canada’s natural attractions remain by far the main draw while other types of experiences, including history/culture, visiting specific places, social events and gatherings, are secondary sources of excitement for potential travellers to Canada.

These GTW findings suggest that while Canada’s natural beauty and outdoor experiences are clearly a strength of its offer, it needs to be able to demonstrate a wider range of experiences to be pervasive enough to compete with the US, Australia and New Zealand, as well as other long-haul and short-haul destinations.

Among the younger age group (18 to 34 year olds), the most common response was that they simply did not know what intrigued or excited them most about Canada - almost a third (31%), Beyond the natural geography (27%), they weren’t really able to articulate why they were interested in Canada.

Overall, more than a third of UK travellers (37%) agree that there is no reason not to travel to Canada – in all likelihood, if it was cheaper to travel to Canada relative to competing vacation destinations (both short and long-haul), or if the perceived value of a vacation to Canada was significantly improved, little else would actually prevent them from coming.

Asked outright what were the most influential sources when it came to choosing a holiday destination, friends and family in-person again came out on top.

The importance of advocacy from friends and family is further exemplified when looking at the sources of information that encouraged consideration for Canada – almost half (46%) pointed to friends and family in person.

Other influential sources mentioned were: travel guides or books, travel agents (in-person), websites dedicated to visitors and tourists, and traveller review websites (such as TripAdvisor). Generally, in this market and others, we are witnessing a clear trend towards trusted and earned sources when it comes to influencing consumer’s decisions on purchases (as opposed to paid-for media).

Earned media is becoming increasingly prevalent thanks to social media (e.g., mentions, shares, likes, re-posts and reviews), but continues to include traditional content media, such as articles in print. To be considered trusted, sources must be perceived to be independent, nonbiased and without sponsorship (from a company or organisation).

However, the importance of trusted and earned media should not be underestimated and whether it is through traditional word-of-mouth, or facilitated through social media, online applications or other digital channels, it is hard to ignore the increasing shift.

In 2012, Canada placed second behind New Zealand, and ahead of Australia and the US. It is worth noting that the NPS scores for all destinations in 2014 were down on the previous reporting period (among UK travellers), but the fall in the relative position of Canada in this ranking is somewhat of a concern.

The NPS score is not only a measure of consumer satisfaction (measured by how likely they would be recommend the destination the others), but a barometer of the potential opportunity to promote the destination through advocacy. As discussed in the previous section, advocacy through friends and family is the most influential source of information when it comes to choosing a holiday destination, far more so than paid advertising.

In terms of perceptions about Canada, and reviewing the NPS scores for all UK long-haul travellers (not just those who have visited Canada), those most likely to recommend a vacation here are those over the age of fifty-five, and those with higher household incomes. Least likely to recommend Canada are the 18 to 34 year olds.

Among the younger age group, whether they have been there or not, the US is the most likely destination to be recommended to friends, family and colleagues – by some way. Canada and Australia lead the chasing pack of long-haul options.

The immediate implication for Canada is that most of this country’s biggest advocates are over the age of fifty-five. It may also speak to how Canada’s offer aligns with UK travellers’ interest.
    END

Electric Scotland

The Story of a Soldier's Life
    By Field-Marshal Viscount Wolseley O.M., K.P., G.C.B., G.C.M.G., D.C.L., LL.D. (1904) Second Impression in 2 volumes.

Really interesting account. He fought in India and China and he also met General Lee and Stonewall Jackson of the Confederate army. Also, as mentioned above, he served in Canada and was put in charge of getting armed forces to the Red River Valley to quell the rebellion there.

As he says in his Preface...

IN the following pages I have tried to record the noble actions I have witnessed, and to describe the men I have been associated with. I have set down nought in malice, and therefore beg my readers to forgive what may be my prejudices.

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...eg/wolsley.htm

The Scott Country
    By W. S. Crockett (1902) (pdf)

You can read this book at: http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...tt_country.pdf

Edinburgh: 300 Photographs of Things to See
    A new ebook by Gordon Wright and have added some sample pictures from it to the foot of our Edinburgh page where you will also find out where to get it at: http://www.electricscotland.com/history/edinburgh/

Hylton Newsletter
    Got in the Autumn newsletter from Caithness.

You can get this issue at: http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...lton/index.htm

Beth's Newfangled Family Tree
    Got in Section 1 of the November 2016 issue. You can download this from http://www.electricscotland.com/bnft/index.htm

The MacIntyres of Letterbaine
    By Alistair K. Macintyre (Nov 2016) which is the outcome of 10 years of research. I've added this to our Clan MacIntyre page but you can download it directly from:http://www.electricscotland.com/webc...macintyres.pdf

Also have added some information on another two MacIntyre's at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/webc...macintyres.htm

St. Andrews in 1645-46
    By D. R. Kerr (1895)

Added a link to this book on our St. Andrew's page but you can download it directly at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ndrews1645.pdf

Robert Burns Lives!
    Edited by Frank Shaw

Burns and ‘Blue Devilism’ By Moira Hansen
    Introduction by Professor Patrick Scott, University of South Carolina

Moira Hansen, a PhD student in Scottish Literature at the University of Glasgow, came circuitously to Burns research, with a pharmacology BSc from Dundee, and experience in data management for a clinical research company, before doing BA and MA degrees in English from the Open University, a teaching diploma at Aberdeen, teaching high school English and working for the Scottish Qualifications Authority. In May 2014, after moving from Aberdeen to Glasgow, and wanting to go further with her interest in science and literature, she attended a symposium at the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow on the theme of Burns and Medicine. During the symposium, she heard that Gerry Carruthers and Danny Smith were looking for someone interested in exploring the mental health of Robert Burns. She was initially nominated for the first Shaw Scholarship in Robert Burns Studies, which she ceded to another new graduate student when Glasgow awarded her one of the University-wide Lord Kelvin/Adam Smith scholarships, supporting four years of interdisciplinary PhD research. She gives updates about the Blue Devilism project on Twitter (@bluedevilism) and on the project blog (http://bluedevilism.wordpress.com).

You can read this article at: http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...s_lives246.htm

The Story

I was most impressed with the account of the Red River Expedition which was in the second volume of The Soldiers Life mentioned above. The account runs from page 165 to 225. Here is how his account finished...

As a military undertaking, the Red River Expedition was peculiar in many ways. I believe it was the cheapest operation we have ever carried out, when what was accomplished is fairly weighed and considered. The total expense was under 100,000. For that sum about 1,400 men were sent by rail and steamer some 52 miles and then in canoes and boats for 600 miles through a wilderness of rivers, lakes, forests and rocks, where, as no food was to be obtained, everything required had to be taken with us and transported on the soldiers' backs over difficult portages for many miles.

I attribute this economic result chiefly to the fact that it was planned and organized far away from all War Office influence and meddling, and that an able general on the spot the Hon. James Lindsay, then Commanding in Canada was allowed a free hand in all that concerned its efficiency. The Cabinet and Parliamentary element in the War Office, that has marred so many a good military scheme, had, I may say, little or nothing to do with it from first to last. When will civilian Secretaries of State for War cease from troubling in war affairs?

Whilst we were thus busy in forcing our way through and over great natural obstacles to the Red River Settlement to put down an insignificant rebellion, a great war between two powerful European nations raged in France. In England, as elsewhere throughout the civilized world, all thoughts were bent upon its startling events. Would the French Imperial Guard once more strut as conquerors through Prussian cities? or was Von Moltke to dictate terms to a French Government from his camp in the Champs Elysees?

Those were the subjects which then absorbed public interest in every land. No one even at home paid much, if any, attention to our proceedings in a territory whose great rivers and forests were unknown to them even by name. Our home press was naturally absorbed in a deep consideration of the great military and political problems this Franco-German war had revived. None had room in their columns for any consideration or discussion of far-off prairie affairs.

There was no one in authority to say even "Well done!" to the men whose daring, high military spirit and unsurpassed endurance I have endeavoured to describe. But all of us had something far better than any honours or decorations could have given I mean the satisfaction of knowing that under difficult and trying circumstances all had done their duty to the best of their ability.

So ended this Red River Expedition sent by the Government of Canada to put down Riel's rebellion and restore order in what is now the splendid province of Winnipeg. As far as fighting is concerned, it was a bloodless campaign, and although great physical difficulties were encountered and manfully overcome by the troops employed, not a life had been lost.

All ranks, both of the Regular and Militia Troops employed, worked as hard as galley slaves throughout this expedition, and they did so cheerfully and intelligently. All were better soldiers, and would, in civil life, be able to earn their bread to better advantage than when they had landed on the shores of Thunder Bay. Every man's heart had been hi this novel enterprise, for all had been taken into their leader's confidence; no attempt had been made to conceal, or even to minimise, the serious obstacles that lay in their path, and they showed their appreciation of this confidence, not only by the amount of work they got through, but by the cheery manner in which they did it. I can draw no distinction between the relative merits or military value of the Regular Soldiers and the Canadian Militiamen who went with me to Red River.

Each had arrived at Prince Arthur's Landing with special attributes peculiarly his own, but by the time Fort Garry had been occupied each had acquired the military virtues of the other. What is it that a large army of such men under some great leader could not achieve?

He is quoted as saying...

"My own experience of Canada, and of its fine loyal manly people, has taught me that England can always depend upon the Canadian Militia to supply her with a first-rate division under Canadian officers, who are not to be surpassed in military characteristics of a high order by any other troops."

And that's it for this week and hope you all enjoy your weekend and Halloween.

Alastair

Re: Newsletter 4th November 2016

The drama with the remote control has happened to me Alastair. Once I was in a car park and I got out and locked the car and there was a car in the next row whose lights flashed. Then, one time prior to remote controls, I accidently locked my keys in the boot. I had 3 small children with me and didn't know what to do when this lady walked past and said to me that she was meeting her brother there and he had the same car as me. Low and behold his key fitted my car.......so that was lucky :-)

Elda

Comment

I know what you mean Elda... I remember when I worked for Gallahers as a new salesman we were all given Vauxhall Viva 1000cc gold cars to match the Benson & Hedges colours. We were having a large sales meeting at a big hotel and there must have been over 100 of those cars all looking identical. One poor guy forgot to turn the alarm off so when he opened the car the alarm went of and then he discovered he was in the wrong car. Of course the alarm was going off and it took at least 40 minutes until the actual car owner was found to turn it off.

Alastair

Comment

Alastair, I do understand why you pay cash. But really that is not correct. The contractor will not be declaring the income and will not be paying taxes on it. I do not agree that it is normal practice...
        Sandy

Comment

It's certainly illegal!

Elda

Comment

Originally posted by Glesgalass View Post
            It's certainly illegal!

Elda
            Its pretty common in Windsor

Comment

One problem of paying cash is that you would find it difficult to take them to court for not doing what they said they would do. That said there isn't much to go wrong when you cut a tree down.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
              X