Another Bleak Day in the Back Streets of Naples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Bleak Day in the Back Streets of Naples

This song made a great impression on me when I was still young and impressionable, and I've returned to it often for fifty years without really thinking about who wrote and performed it in the first place. Thanks therefore to Kenneth Roy and the Scottish Review for closing the circle on Peter Sarstedt and "Where Do You Go To (My Lovely)?" - a sweet old song with a sad old message. Here's what Kenneth Roy said on January 10, 2017: "A singer-songwriter by the name of Peter Sarstedt died too. Mr Sarstedt was once moderately famous for a song entitled ‘Where Do You Go To (My Lovely)?’. When they played it a couple of nights ago, it didn’t sound half bad for a song with brackets in it. But after this chart success Peter Sarstedt wasn’t heard of again for almost half a century and the next thing he did to earn any press was to die at the age of 75."

And here's that sweet old song:

Re: Another Bleak Day in the Back Streets of Naples

I read that as well and also remember him and the song. I always wondered why he didn't do more songs.

Alastair

Comment

Re: Another Bleak Day in the Back Streets of Naples

He did have a couple of other hits in the UK. Of course, off the top of my head I cannot remember them. His older brother, known as Eden Kane also had a hit record in the early 60's.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
      X