Foot Golf Promotional Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot Golf Promotional Film

I only heard about this sport today so if like me you've never heard of it you can see a Promotional video at:
    Alastair

Re: Foot Golf Promotional Film

Scottish FootGolf Open 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ5VNplas98

Alastair

Comment

FootGolf demo at the Women's Australian Open Golf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX0r-m8TT-Y

Alastair

Comment

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footgolf for more information.

Alastair

Comment

So we have golf fusing with football, and now curling fusing with crokinole. These old Scottish pass times will never die, just morph into broader forms. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ipeg-1.3953013

Comment

Rick, what the heck is crokinole? (I know I should do a search for it~~~)
            Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by sandyc View Post
              Rick, what the heck is crokinole? (I know I should do a search for it~~~)
              Sandy
              Sandy,

Not sure if this is what you are after ????? I always like to be of some help; after all it is a "Croc-in-a-hole" :confused::crazy::tongue::tongue:

Comment

Crokinole Board (Standard)

Standard Crokinole Board
                Standard Crokinole Depot Board

The Standard Crokinole Depot Board is designed to tournament measurements and it has a high polish finish. Each board is hand made by a local craftsman. This board will last for generations and is a great board for both recreational and competitive play. Purchase includes 26 discs (13 each of two different colours). Red, Green, Black, Yellow, Blue and Natural discs are available.

Comment

Thanks Hugh, but I still don't know how it is played. Guess I shall have to look it up~~~

Sandy

Comment

I found the rules at http://www.crokinole.com/rules.asp

Alastair

Comment

The earliest known crokinole board (with legitimate, dated provenance) was made in 1876 (not 1875 as previously reported) in Perth County, Ontario, Canada. Several other home-made boards of southwestern Ontario origin, and dating from the 1870s, have been discovered within the past 10 years, suggesting confirmation of this locale as the probable 'cradle' of crokinole's birth. Earlier Canadian written sources detail the game from the mid-1860's. Several years after that time, a registered American patent suggests 1880 as the time when commercial fabrication began - first in New York, then Pennsylvania. The games that no doubt contributed to the arrival of crokinole seem to be the 16th century British games of shovelboard-from which modern-day shuffleboard descends, the17th century pub game shove ha'penny, and the Victorian parlour game of squails that appeared in England during the second quarter of the 19th century. In addition, Burmese or East Indian carrom (developed during the 1820s) seems a logical ancestor of crokinole due alone to the very similar shooting or fillip technique involved. And while a German game known as 'knipps-brat' (various spellings in high and low Germanic dialect exist) may have had similar features, game historians agree the aforementioned British and Asian predecessors seem the most likely links to modern-day crokinole. [For more detailed information, please consult Chapter Two "Early Origins" in The Crokinole Book.] Many wonderful works on the history of games have been written in the past two decades. From Egyptian pyramid motifs and archeological digs to mediaeval findings, the pattern of 'put-it-in-the-hole' games has a remarkable social history. Think about golf, ice curling, marble games, darts, carrom, hockey, soccer-so many games that require putting the shooter object in a hole, goal, or target area.

Alastair

Comment

Sorry for the slow comeback Sandy, and your question may already have been answered and Alastair's history surely added to my limited country-boy knowledge! The board Hugh posted is the standard but the ones we used had scores in each of the rings - the closer to the centre, which is a shallow hole, the higher the score. The game is played with small wooden pieces that look like checkers, only smooth and heavier. Two to four players each have a quadrant and the object is to flick your checker into the centre hole, or as close as possible. You flick the piece with your middle finger off your thumb. You also try to knock your opponents' pieces off the playing surface while staying on yourself. There are eight pegs around the centre that make the shots more difficult. If you flick too hard it really, really hurts! I haven't played for over fifty years, but we used to have "social evenings" at my little country school in Saskatchewan and would have half a dozen boards going in a tournament. Really good fun, and I wouldn't mind trying it with curling rocks if the opportunity arises.

Comment

Hi Rick, thanks for that clear explanation.
                          I have never seen the game but I had heard of it.
                          From what you say it is a more sophisticated form of what I would call LUDO...~~~
                          I am currently in rural N Alberta so I shall ask around and see if anyone here plays or has played. My grandson started curling this year and is really enjoying it.
                          I am now trying to remember the name of a card game (like whist) that people used to play when I came her in the 60's... I could never figure it out~~~
                          Sandy

Comment

Perhaps Canasta?

Comment

Hi Al, I know how play canasta. It seems to be a purely Canadian (maybe North American) game. I think it is called Euchre... Pretty sure that is it come to think of it~~~
                              Sandy

Comment

Working...
                              X